Windows 10: Can Print Graphics, But Not Any Text

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    29 Jan 2017 #1

    Can Print Graphics, But Not Any Text


    A few weeks ago I had a problem with Windows10. For some reason it stopped allowing me to print text files of any kind. But graphics and pictures are just fine. Went on for about a week when I noticed that a new update was available.
    I got the Build 15014 update. And was very pleased to have the printing problem go away.
    Now a few weeks later, it has gone back to not printing any text files again! This is my main office machine, which is a Dell Precision T1700. Can't print email, or any text type files, just get a blank page!

    I have two almost new Epson printers. One is an ET-2500, the other is the Artisan 1430. Both are setup for wireless printing. I have several other computers and tablets. All work flawlessly and I can print anything from the 6 other devices on the network, to either printer.

    Today I did a complete uninstall of both printers from the Dell T1700. Then I did a complete fresh reinstall of both, hoping to resolve the problem. Sorry to say, absolutely no change, still can't print text on the T1700, to either printer.

    I have tried everything i know to resolve the problem. So far nothing seems to help.
    Does anyone have any ideas as to what I need to do to get this working again?
    Thanks,
    George
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    29 Jan 2017 #2

    Workaround for printer won't print text


    Hi. I think I'm going to make you happy!

    I experienced the same issue, and worked until I found a solution!

    Go into the printer's Properties, then the Advanced tab, and turn OFF the option "Enable advanced printing features" and save the change.

    Be sure your print queue is empty of any previous jobs and then go ahead and test it.

    FYI, I did quick research and apparently there are no "advanced features" disabled by this change that a routine printer user would possibly care about.

    Let us know if it works! Best/jim
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    29 Jan 2017 #3

    Running an Insider build on your "main office machine"? Optimistic.

    I had a similar issue. Including having printing working for a while on 15014 and then going to a state where only graphics printed.

    My fix was going to 14393.726. It lacks the features of the Creators builds, but it also lacks the bugs.

    I may try 15019, but I'm not hopeful.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    29 Jan 2017 #4

    lagunajim said: View Post
    Hi. I think I'm going to make you happy!

    I experienced the same issue, and worked until I found a solution!

    Go into the printer's Properties, then the Advanced tab, and turn OFF the option "Enable advanced printing features" and save the change.

    Be sure your print queue is empty of any previous jobs and then go ahead and test it.

    FYI, I did quick research and apparently there are no "advanced features" disabled by this change that a routine printer user would possibly care about.

    Let us know if it works! Best/jim
    An interesting idea. I'd be more optimistic if I understood exactly what the "enable advanced printing features" checkbox did. Seems a little obscure, for those of us without deep insight into Windows.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    29 Jan 2017 #5

    Optimistic or pessimistic - if you have the problem and need a workaround try it - it's easy to implement and painless to test.

    Of course if you rolled back then not easy for you to test I suppose...

    p.s. task scheduler is wonky for me in 15019 (although most users don't create their own tasks anyway..), and I require the quick reg fix for Quicken 2017, but otherwise I'm enjoying 15019 very much.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    30 Jan 2017 #6

    Good Morning Jim, yesterday was about a 6 hour waste as I tried to fix the problem.
    I went down to my office this morning and found the computer waiting for me to sign in. It was updated AGAIN, over night!
    Last night Build 15019 was installed! After waiting about 5 minutes for the update to be finalized, I carefully printed from both printers! And guess what, BOTH PRINTED TEXT!
    Just to cover my "6" I went to both printer Properties and disabled "Enable Advanced Printing Features"

    So Jim, yes I am very pleased, and hopefully with your suggestion in place, the problem will not reappear randomly at sometime in the future.

    All the best and a big thanks as well!
    George
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    30 Jan 2017 #7

    BobKN...............

    Yes probably risky running insider builds, but I have a fully backup up system, and if I need to do a roll back, which I have had to do a couple of times in the past year or so, I simply start the process before I go to bed and in the morning everything is good to go again.

    I have a 8TB, 5TB, and 1TB in-house backup cloud system! Hopefully have everything double covered!

    That would have been my next step, but now, (see my last comments) everything is OK and working good again!
    George
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    30 Jan 2017 #8

    GeorgeRace said: View Post
    BobKN...............

    Yes probably risky running insider builds, but I have a fully backup up system, and if I need to do a roll back, which I have had to do a couple of times in the past year or so, I simply start the process before I go to bed and in the morning everything is good to go again.

    I have a 8TB, 5TB, and 1TB in-house backup cloud system! Hopefully have everything double covered!

    That would have been my next step, but now, (see my last comments) everything is OK and working good again!
    George
    Glad to hear that you're almost sane.

    I'm not running a business off my main PC, but my tolerance for frustration is finite. You encourage me to give 15019 a whirl. Maybe I'll do it during tomorrow's (minor) snowstorm. (I have a UPS.)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    02 Feb 2017 #9

    lagunajim said: View Post
    Hi. I think I'm going to make you happy!

    I experienced the same issue, and worked until I found a solution!

    Go into the printer's Properties, then the Advanced tab, and turn OFF the option "Enable advanced printing features" and save the change.

    Be sure your print queue is empty of any previous jobs and then go ahead and test it.

    FYI, I did quick research and apparently there are no "advanced features" disabled by this change that a routine printer user would possibly care about.

    Let us know if it works! Best/jim
    Brilliant. Really struggled with this. It also caused an issue with my pdf creator*pdfsam.

    Thanks a million:-)

    Paul
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    02 Feb 2017 #10

    bobkn said: View Post
    Glad to hear that you're almost sane.

    I'm not running a business off my main PC, but my tolerance for frustration is finite. You encourage me to give 15019 a whirl. Maybe I'll do it during tomorrow's (minor) snowstorm. (I have a UPS.)
    Follow up: 15019 did the same thing: printers initially worked OK, but wouldn't print text after a while. (It didn't appear to be connected to a reboot. The problem appeared after several reboots.)

    Unchecking the "enable advanced printing features" box fixed things. Thanks, Jim.

    As far as I have been able to find via*Web searching, turning that off may be benign or even beneficial.

    Now running 15025. Boxes still unchecked, printers still working.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Hi, Since upgrading to 15007 I can't print text for Exchange emails, pages are missing all text If I view email via Outlook Web Access then text will print OK (as do webpages etc) The printer test page is the same (in that no text is printed,...
I am having issue with the text and icons not appearing in the right click menus including property menus and other dialogue boxes. 104964104965 restarting solves the issue for a while but it appears again after sometime. Please suggest a...
OK, this one is a twist on a very often reported problem on these forums: Internet Explorer 11 will not print and just shows an empty print preview page. (Edge works/prints fine). However in this case I know what caused the issue but not how...
I've read references in increasing icon spacing via Regedit tweaks, but will that also increase the text length under icons before the text wraps to a new line. For example a folder named "Screen Grabs" displays both words on one line with Win7 but...
The print spooler chokes on both of my Windows 10 machines when trying to deal with certain pdf files. For instance when I tried to print https://thebasscase.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/so-what.pdf via my browser (Chrome), it printed the first 6...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41.
Find Us