Windows 10: Question About Free Space on the Recovery (D) Drive

  1.    04 Jan 2017 #1

    Question About Free Space on the Recovery (D) Drive


    This may be a stupid question, but I don't know much about computers and I'm concerned, so I have to at least ask about it. I just happened to look at how much space was on my C drive, because I was considering downloading all 800 photos from my pocket camera's SD card. That looked great, 854 GB free of 911 GB.

    What I noticed was the Recover Image (D) amount, 2.29 GB free of 18.1 GB. This computer is only 3 months old, a HP desktop with Windows 10 factory installed. I have no idea why there is so little space left here, and I'm not aware of putting anything on the D drive.

    Can someone tell me if this is normal? What's filling this up, and will it be completely full soon? If so, what do I do then? Any advice and information on this is appreciated. Is everyone's D drive as full as mine? Should I be worried?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    04 Jan 2017 #2

    Hi Bigfoot, I don't know much about HP Desktops but the Recovery Partition probably holds an image of you PC when it left the factory. It's there so that you can return it to the original new condition should you wish to do so. I doubt that it will grow in size anytime. If you take a look at the documentation that came with the PC it will probably confirm this.

    That said, I hope you are backing up your important documents, images, etc to an external drive in case anything goes wrong with the OS. If not you need to think about an external drive. Imagine how you would feel if you had to restore your PC and lost all you pictures.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    04 Jan 2017 #3

    That is normal, (D is a Recovery partition used to restore your PC to the bought state. It is normally almost full. It never changes. Essentially it's your copy of Windows, manufacturers drivers, applications etc.

    Manufacturers normally ask you to make a copy of that to DVDs or a USB key drive. So you can use that if say your HDD dies on which the recovery partition is.

    I just leave it there, does not take much space.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    04 Jan 2017 #4

    SoFine409 said: View Post
    Hi Bigfoot, I don't know much about HP Desktops but the Recovery Partition probably holds an image of you PC when it left the factory. It's there so that you can return it to the original new condition should you wish to do so. I doubt that it will grow in size anytime. If you take a look at the documentation that came with the PC it will probably confirm this.

    That said, I hope you are backing up your important documents, images, etc to an external drive in case anything goes wrong with the OS. If not you need to think about an external drive. Imagine how you would feel if you had to restore your PC and lost all you pictures.
    Thank you so much SoFine, I was googling around and read something like that and was hoping that's what it was. So if I'm correct, no more should be added to the D file from now on?

    There was no real documentation that came with this computer, I bought it at Walmart and was actually copying stuff off of the box before I threw it out so I'd have some info on it.

    I have no important documents on my computer at all, and for years my practice was to take photos, like from vacations, and copy them to a CD, and save them that way. Other than that, I have never had any kind of a backup.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    04 Jan 2017 #5

    Helmut said: View Post
    That is normal, (D is a Recovery partition used to restore your PC to the bought state. It is normally almost full. It never changes. Essentially it's your copy of Windows, manufacturers drivers, applications etc.

    Manufacturers normally ask you to make a copy of that to DVDs or a USB key drive. So you can use that if say your HDD dies on which the recovery partition is.

    I just leave it there, does not take much space.
    Thanks for your reply Helmut, I do feel better now.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    05 Jan 2017 #6

    Bigfoot said: View Post
    Thank you so much SoFine, I was googling around and read something like that and was hoping that's what it was. So if I'm correct, no more should be added to the D file from now on?

    There was no real documentation that came with this computer, I bought it at Walmart and was actually copying stuff off of the box before I threw it out so I'd have some info on it..
    That Recovery Image will not grow. If it did it would not restore the original, snapshot in time, when you PC left the factory.

    You can go to the HP web site and find the documentation for your specific model. Dell puts a unique service tag number on each PC that will show you everything you need to know about your PC, including replacement parts. I suspect that HP being a major brand, might do the same thing.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    05 Jan 2017 #7

    Thanks again for the info SoFine.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
2.GB recovery drive of 16.9 free in Performance & Maintenance
How to I get rid of the junk in my recovery drive? I have HP and installed windows 10 about a month or so ago. I do not have any issues with windows 10. I think this update caused my D drive to be so full Cathy
Is there any application that comes with Windows 10, that will show the hard-drive storage usage and free space? I do not mean an application that will show usage and free space for each partition (disk). Such data is rather inconvenient, when...
Actually it's an SSD. How can I be positively sure that I'm doing a fresh install of Win 10 into free space on my SSD, and not wipe out an existing Win 10 install. I want to have two copies of Win 10 on my system. I have an unused Win 8.1...
Hi to all! I just upgraded to Windows 10 just 3 days ago. Everything was smooth until I noticed a drive named "F". However, there are no usb or external hdd that are being used by my laptop. The drive F could not be right-clicked in order to see and...
I was on my Laptop, and I went online and I found this article. It says that there is a Recovery CD that is free to download for Windows 10. Here is the link....
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:58.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums