Windows 10: Wddm (v2.0)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    23 Jun 2015 #1

    Wddm (v2.0)


    Hi all,

    I currently have a Radeon HD 7870 Flex series Video card and everytime windows 10 starts it automatically changes the driver to WDDM (Engineering Sample-WDDM V2.0) does anyone know how to fix this.. ive uninstalled and everything went to reinstall it and still the same crap. Can anyone please help me out, if not windows 10 is a failure to AMD products.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    23 Jun 2015 #2

    I don't understand what the actual problem is here.... Wddm is the driver model for Windows 10... All drivers must be Wddm compliant. Are you referring to a specific thing?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    23 Jun 2015 #3

    yes it limits my video driver to not even half of the capacity of what it can handle, cant even play games cause it gets all glitchy. IF you need a screen shot let me know
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    23 Jun 2015 #4

    Zelliey said: View Post
    yes it limits my video driver to not even half of the capacity of what it can handle, cant even play games cause it gets all glitchy. IF you need a screen shot let me know
    That really didn't answer my question. *ALL* drivers in Windows 10 have to be Wddm compliant, so I don't understand what the actual problem is. You are saying the problem is that the driver is a WDDM driver, but its impossible for it to NOT be.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    23 Jun 2015 #5

    Ok let me explain, Windows does not want to run AMD drivers, it automatically converts it off of that to run like crap. My father has an NVIDIA video card, and it doesn't run on WDDM... So how can I just get my Amd Drivers to stay on the AMD drivers, so I can actually run my games.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 1,491
    Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview x64
       23 Jun 2015 #6

    @Mystere

    I believe what he's saying is that even if he installs the newest AMD drivers, which are W10 compatible, it reverts back to the original Engineering Sample via Windows Update. I was having the same problem with it replacing new Nvidia drivers with months old ones a few months back. Never figured out how to block it though, aside from disabling the Windows Update service, which I wouldn't recommend.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    23 Jun 2015 #7

    Zelliey said: View Post
    Ok let me explain, Windows does not want to run AMD drivers, it automatically converts it off of that to run like crap. My father has an NVIDIA video card, and it doesn't run on WDDM... So how can I just get my Amd Drivers to stay on the AMD drivers, so I can actually run my games.
    WDDM stands for Windows Display Driver Model. It's an API that is used by display driver writers to interface with Windows 10, so yes... Nvidia drivers are also WDDM drivers, and have been since Vista was released.

    However, it sounds like you are referring to some specific AMD driver that they have labeled a WDDM Engineering Sample. My point here is that WDDM is not the issue, it's the specific driver you are using that just so happens to have WDDM in the name.

    My understanding is that Microsoft released a fix for this a while back. You don't say what version of Windows you're running. Are you using the latest official release 10130?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    26 Jun 2015 #8

    Mystere said: View Post
    WDDM stands for Windows Display Driver Model. It's an API that is used by display driver writers to interface with Windows 10, so yes... Nvidia drivers are also WDDM drivers, and have been since Vista was released.

    However, it sounds like you are referring to some specific AMD driver that they have labeled a WDDM Engineering Sample. My point here is that WDDM is not the issue, it's the specific driver you are using that just so happens to have WDDM in the name.

    My understanding is that Microsoft released a fix for this a while back. You don't say what version of Windows you're running. Are you using the latest official release 10130?
    Your overcomplicating a simple problem.

    The latest AMD GPU driver is 14.12 ( for CCC bundle) 15.6 for the pure driver if you want to use the beta drivers.
    This install and work fine.

    Windows 10 then decides at random to install a much older driver 9.14 and seemingly whatever you do to stop this happening fails.
    Setting Windows 10 to not install driver software - Fails, it still installs the GPU drivers whenever it wants.
    Using DDU to uninstall the drivers, and use the option to turn off the windows update also fails long term, as it still installs them at a later time.

    And that is running build 10130.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       26 Jun 2015 #9

    Jamie Cortez said: View Post
    Your overcomplicating a simple problem.

    The latest AMD GPU driver is 14.12 ( for CCC bundle) 15.6 for the pure driver if you want to use the beta drivers.
    This install and work fine.

    Windows 10 then decides at random to install a much older driver 9.14 and seemingly whatever you do to stop this happening fails.
    Setting Windows 10 to not install driver software - Fails, it still installs the GPU drivers whenever it wants.
    Using DDU to uninstall the drivers, and use the option to turn off the windows update also fails long term, as it still installs them at a later time.

    And that is running build 10130.
    I had this issue a few releases back, installed the AMD pkg, then Windows updated it. Very frustrating.

    The key seems to be CCC - if Windows Update detects it, that triggers an update. - I tried all of the methods you described Jamie and got the same results. Soooo I might have forgotten a step along the way.

    Try selecting custom install when you use an AMD package (14.12 or 15.6)
    - remove the check mark from Catalyst Control Center (CCC) - do not install this
    - install others as needed ... I also remove the video accelerator and Razor (advanced game feature)

    You're left with the drivers and Catalyst Install Manager (CIM)

    You might have to uninstall first (AMD states it is not necessary for APUs). Hopefully between MS and AMD the driver(s) will be easier to manage in the future.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 1
    Windows 10 Build 10130
       04 Jul 2015 #10

    same problem


    Hi guys.
    I have the same problem with the driver on an radeon r7 370 with windows 10 biuld 10130.I have tried all the possibilietes including the one sugested by you a few replyes back and non helped but the thing is that I'm not so mutch afected by this driver and all the games that I played where up to the 30~60 fps range.
    The other thing is that it bothers me,as I have a laptop wich is equiped with an nvidia 540M and in device manager is shows the nvidia driver installed ( no weird words in there like WDDM on sample or engineer or things like that) and it on the same biuld of windows like the computer.I know and I keept in mind that amd it's not the gratest at software and driver updates but as long as I can play my games at optimal level itdoesent bother me.
    The werid thing is that the latest beta driver was relesed on 22 june and it cannot be installed on the computer to utilise the improvements and benefits of the latest version.
    Hope this will get fixed when the final version is out.Just a few weeks...

    P.S. Excuse my bad english.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:23.
Find Us