1. Joined : Aug 2016
    Posts : 43
    Win-10 64bit
       11 Dec 2016 #1

    Win 10 64, Unknown error while installing intel chipset driver + Logs


    I'm on a brand new Win 10 installation and trying to update the drivers, while updating to the latest version (10.1.1.14) i get an error with the following logs. I tried updating using the driver update utility and manual download with the same result.

    MB: GA-EX-58--UD3R
    CPU: i7 920
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Aug 2016
    Posts : 43
    Win-10 64bit
       12 Dec 2016 #2

    45 views and no reply.. atleast tell me where I can find an old version since I cant find it on the intel website or any other place.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Jan 2016
    Posts : 505
    windows 10 Pro
       12 Dec 2016 #3

    This driver version (10.1.1.14) supports

    Intel® Chipset Device Software Support
    The Intel® Chipset Device Software contains support for the following:
    §* Intel® Atom™/Celeron®/Pentium® Processor
    §* 6th Generation Intel® Core™ processor family
    §* Intel® Core™ M processor family
    §* 5th Generation Intel® Core™ processor family
    §* 4th Generation Intel® Core™ processor family
    §* 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ processor family
    §* 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ processor family
    §* Intel® 100 Series chipset
    §* Intel® 9 series chipset
    §* Intel® C230 series chipset family
    §* Intel® C220 series chipset family
    §* Intel® C210 series chipset family
    According to the supportpage of your mobo you have this Intel® Core™ i7 Processor (1st generation) and X58 Chipset support .
    It appears both processor and chipset are not supported in this version.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Aug 2016
    Posts : 43
    Win-10 64bit
       12 Dec 2016 #4

    I don't suppose asking for an alternative is too much? the only older version I could find is 6 years old.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5.    12 Dec 2016 #5

    You can find versions of chipset files out the ying-yang at the French Website Station Drivers. Unless you're a Francophone, click the button to translate everything into English. Looks like you need the series 9 page, so here it is: Serie 9.x.
    HTH,
    --Ed--
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Apr 2015
    Posts : 135
    Windows 10
       12 Dec 2016 #6

    If misery loves company, a google search shows LOTS of people with the same problem - no Windows 10 driver for X58 chipset. Not surprising when i also found Intel dropped support for the X58 in 2012. p.s. your installation logs show the installation failed because Windows couldn't find a driver to support your hardware among the drivers it found in that v10.1.1.14 release.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Aug 2016
    Posts : 43
    Win-10 64bit
       4 Weeks Ago #7

    EdTittel said: View Post
    You can find versions of chipset files out the ying-yang at the French Website Station Drivers. Unless you're a Francophone, click the button to translate everything into English. Looks like you need the series 9 page, so here it is: Serie 9.x.
    HTH,
    --Ed--
    Thanks, I already went with the old version though because that was my only option and I wasn't sure if I was gonna get a reply here, reinstalling a later version ontop of my old one doesn't work, and I don't know how to completely remove the intel driver already installed, but I'm open to ideas..

    ComputerGeek said: View Post
    If misery loves company, a google search shows LOTS of people with the same problem - no Windows 10 driver for X58 chipset. Not surprising when i also found Intel dropped support for the X58 in 2012. p.s. your installation logs show the installation failed because Windows couldn't find a driver to support your hardware among the drivers it found in that v10.1.1.14 release.
    Thanks for the clarification.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 77
    Windows 10 pro 64bit
       4 Weeks Ago #8

    Here is what Intel says about the "chipset drivers":
    Zitat von Intel

    • The Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility is not a driver and does not include drivers.
    • The Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility gives the product name for the piece of hardware. This information allows the operating system to display the correct name for that piece of hardware in Device Manager.


    Learn about Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility


    Last Reviewed: 08-Aug-2016
    Article ID: 000005835
    The Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility automatically tells you if you need to update your chipset INF files and prompts you to install the files.
    The Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility (also known as Intel® Chipset Device Software) is often called the chipset driver or chipset drivers, a common misconception.
    What is a driver?
    A driver is a program that allows a computer to communicate (or talk to) a piece of hardware. The Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility is not a driver and does not include drivers.
    What is an INF?
    An INF is a text file that gives the operating system information about a piece of hardware on the system. The current Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility gives the product name for the piece of hardware. This information allows the operating system to display the correct name for that piece of hardware in Device Manager.

    Is an INF useful?
    If a chipset is released well after an operating system, the INF allows the operating system to identify all the pieces of the chipset. Intel and Microsoft work together to include information on both current and future chipsets in new operating systems. In many cases, the operating system recognizes all the pieces of the chipset without the INF.
    Do I need to install the Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility?
    Unless you are installing an operating system, you do not need to install the Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility.
    If you install the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility after an operating system installation, only the INF files needed to recognize the product names in Device Manager will be installed.

    • The installation of any "Intel(R) Chipset Device Software" or their included INF files is only useful, if the Device Manager shows a yellow mark at an Intel (VEN_8086) device with a "missing driver".
    • Since the newest Windows Operating systems are able to detect and to name by their own all Intel chipset devices, which were on the market at the release of the OS, there is usually no need at all and no benefit for the users to install or update the Intel chipset device INF files (often named by mistake "Intel chipset drivers").
    • Only users with a brandnew Intel chipset (from 8-Series up for Windows 7, from 9-Series up for Windows 8/8.1) or a very old Windows OS should install the latest suitable *.INF files for their specific Intel Chipset Devices to get rid from the "missing driver" message within the Device Manager.
    • Forcing the installation of a not required or already present Intel Chipset Device INF file (e.g. by using the " -overall" command) doesn't make any sense, but will blow up the user's registry and the Windows\inf folder with garbage (unused resp. unusable oemxx.inf files). Furthermore the forced installation of unusable drivers generally may overwrite actually in use other drivers and can cause degraded performance or a lack of features.


    In short if you don't have a problem "device" in device manager there really is no need.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Aug 2016
    Posts : 43
    Win-10 64bit
       4 Weeks Ago #9

    aramil said: View Post
    • The installation of any "Intel(R) Chipset Device Software" or their included INF files is only useful, if the Device Manager shows a yellow mark at an Intel (VEN_8086) device with a "missing driver".
    • Since the newest Windows Operating systems are able to detect and to name by their own all Intel chipset devices, which were on the market at the release of the OS, there is usually no need at all and no benefit for the users to install or update the Intel chipset device INF files (often named by mistake "Intel chipset drivers").
    • Only users with a brandnew Intel chipset (from 8-Series up for Windows 7, from 9-Series up for Windows 8/8.1) or a very old Windows OS should install the latest suitable *.INF files for their specific Intel Chipset Devices to get rid from the "missing driver" message within the Device Manager.
    • Forcing the installation of a not required or already present Intel Chipset Device INF file (e.g. by using the " -overall" command) doesn't make any sense, but will blow up the user's registry and the Windows\inf folder with garbage (unused resp. unusable oemxx.inf files). Furthermore the forced installation of unusable drivers generally may overwrite actually in use other drivers and can cause degraded performance or a lack of features.


    In short if you don't have a problem "device" in device manager there really is no need.
    Thanks, I figured this out more or less by trial and error. I also learned that installing INF version not specific to your hardware will cause strange behavior, it marked my internal SATA drives as external. In my defense though, the latest Chipset software posted here in bold letters and the fact that intel doesn't even show old versions implied that it was a 1 package fits all, and that I just need to get the newest version. Well, the lesson is learned, the hard way.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Could not install Intel chipset driver
Audio not working, power management not working probably due to missing chipset driver The device manager not showing chipset information 110081 The output from Speccy shows that I have Intel chipset 110083 I tried installing Intel official...
Drivers and Hardware
Intel Chipset Driver (Need help to find)
Can someone help me to find the driver for my Intel Chispet? I'm running Windows 10. The chipset's a Series 8. Thanks!
Drivers and Hardware
Any Intel G41 Express Chipset MODDED DRIVER please?
Any Intel G41 Express Chipset MODDED DRIVER please? I need a little bit more performance out of this
Graphic Cards
Need Graphics Driver for Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset Family
Hello everyone, I need to install the graphics driver, "Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset Family (WDDM)" for Windows 10, but I can't find any drivers supporting Windows 10. Can anyone help me in choosing the correct driver to work with...
Graphic Cards
Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family - Windows 10 Driver?
I have an HP Pavilion dv6 laptop (Intel Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20GHz with Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family Video Adapter) and have recently upgraded it from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Thus far, all applications seem to run quite...
Drivers and Hardware
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums