1.    08 Dec 2016 #1
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 166
    windows 10 64-bit

    Should I install AHCI?


    My HP support assistant keeps asking if I want to install ahci. I did a little reading on this and I really don't know if I should install this. I don't know if when I got the computer (came with windows 10 HP), whether or not it was set up to be compatible with ahci, and thus I don't know if there would be an advantage to installing. I think I can handle Brink's installation tutorial, but if I have to go into BIOS, I'm at a loss.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    08 Dec 2016 #2
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,626
    Windows 10 Pro

    It sounds like it is wanting to install an AHCI driver for your specific brand of hard drive controller. What does device manager say for your disk controller now? Does it say something like Standard AHCI controller, or does it list a manufacturer like Intel AHCI controller? I'll have to wait to get on my home computer to show you examples.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    09 Dec 2016 #3
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 166
    windows 10 64-bit
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    It sounds like it is wanting to install an AHCI driver for your specific brand of hard drive controller. What does device manager say for your disk controller now? Does it say something like Standard AHCI controller, or does it list a manufacturer like Intel AHCI controller? I'll have to wait to get on my home computer to show you examples.
    Device Mgr says: "Intel 100 series/C230 chipset family SATA AHCI controller"
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    09 Dec 2016 #4
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,626
    Windows 10 Pro

    AHCI is already set up on your computer, then. So, it's really a toss up whether to install the driver offered by HP or leave the current one in place. I would probably create a restore point and going ahead an let the HP support assistant install the driver just to get rid of the nagging. And the HP driver might be more specialized than the standard Intel driver.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    09 Dec 2016 #5
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 166
    windows 10 64-bit
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    AHCI is already set up on your computer, then. So, it's really a toss up whether to install the driver offered by HP or leave the current one in place. I would probably create a restore point and going ahead an let the HP support assistant install the driver just to get rid of the nagging. And the HP driver might be more specialized than the standard Intel driver.
    Thanks, I'm OK with installing the HP driver. So, all I have to do is just download the driver and install? Don't have remove or change anything, just install?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    09 Dec 2016 #6
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,626
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
    Thanks, I'm OK with installing the HP driver. So, all I have to do is just download the driver and install? Don't have remove or change anything, just install?
    Yes, since you already have AHCI enabled you should be good to go.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
SSD not working in AHCI after Windows 10 install
My situation is the following:I had a LGA 775 Mobo pc,and one of my father's collegues was upgrading his pc so he gave us his old computer system,i found out that his motherboard had better functions and is better overall,motherboard is gigabyte...
Drivers and Hardware
Is AHCI enabled?
Hello. I got my hp Z800 a Samsung 850 evo ssd 250gb installed. I also got the Samsung magician software (Current version). It's says that AHCI is not enabled, but when I go to the bios it shows that AHCI is enabled. I attached some pictures for...
Drivers and Hardware
AHCI or RAID
Hi. I have just purchased a Dell XPS 15 Laptop with a single 512gb SSD. I am wanting to clean install Windows 10 but am unsure whether to place the BIOS in RAID or AHCI? I have heard the read/write SSD speeds are similar once in windows. Would...
Drivers and Hardware
Solved AHCI Clean install windows 10 onto new SSD drive
I seem to remember, when I installed windows 7 Pro 64 bit on a new build, a few years ago, I had to install some specific drivers during the Windows 7 installation to ensure drives used AHCI mode. Do I still need to do anything during windows 10...
Installation and Upgrade
Install AHCI Driver after Win 10 installation
Hi All. I would appreciate some help on this one. I found a spare 160GB SATA Drive on which I have decided to install a trial of Win 10 to explore it further for now. The only way that I could get this HD to be seen in the BIOS would be to...
Drivers and Hardware
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:50.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums