1.    04 Dec 2016 #1
    Join Date : Dec 2016
    Posts : 4
    Windows 10 Pro (x64)

    TouchPad Nightmare - lagging, freezing - Windows 10


    Hello,

    I'm not sure did I've posted the thread under the right category (forgive me if I failed to do it). I have complete nightmare with my touchpad on my laptop. The TouchPad is so unresponsive and continuously lagging and freezing. The touchpad is with ELAN software l2C Filter driver (I guess). I've tried almost anything and failed so far.
    What's Failing:
    - Touchpad freezes all the time
    - Unresponsive touchpad
    - Hard to navigate on the whole screen
    - No ELAN settings menu on Control Panel > Mouse Tabs
    My laptop setup is:
    Laptop Acer V5-591G / Windows 10 Pro (x64) 1607
    What I've tried so far:
    • Fresh clean install of Windows 10 Pro x64 (that didn't work I guess) official drivers from Acer's support (website)
    • Windows update of l2C Filter Driver (directly from the Windows update - Device manager > Driver Properties > Search online)
    • Different ELAN Driver versions from 11.x.x.x to 13.6.5.2
    • Software for searching/downloading/installing drivers such as IOBit Driver solution
    • Tried with the generic windows driver
    • Tried to rename the Realtek FMAPP.exe file (I've red on some forums it might help, nevertheless I didn't see any particular connection with Realtek HD Audio Manager and the touchpad)
    • Tried to find the app in C:\Program Files\Elantech -> only 3 files are sitting there with the current driver - no luck
    • Tried to search for simliar issue @ Google - nothing particular shows up


    Can anyone help me with some idea or what the hell I'm supposed to do. I am very disappointed with my brand new laptop and this stupid touchpad issue. The laptop is completely usable without a mouse. I've managed to connect my BT Logitech MX2 Anywhere. Having some issues there to - it drops from time to time but I guess I could live with that. Of course if there was a solution for the random drop of the mouse would be more than happy to see t now hem, but the touchpad is the main issue right now...
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    04 Dec 2016 #2
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 30,472
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)

    Quote Originally Posted by nullcx View Post
    Hello,

    I'm not sure did I've posted the thread under the right category (forgive me if I failed to do it). I have complete nightmare with my touchpad on my laptop. The TouchPad is so unresponsive and continuously lagging and freezing. The touchpad is with ELAN software l2C Filter driver (I guess). I've tried almost anything and failed so far.
    What's Failing:
    - Touchpad freezes all the time
    - Unresponsive touchpad
    - Hard to navigate on the whole screen
    - No ELAN settings menu on Control Panel > Mouse Tabs
    My laptop setup is:
    Laptop Acer V5-591G / Windows 10 Pro (x64) 1607
    What I've tried so far:
    • Fresh clean install of Windows 10 Pro x64 (that didn't work I guess) official drivers from Acer's support (website)
    • Windows update of l2C Filter Driver (directly from the Windows update - Device manager > Driver Properties > Search online)
    • Different ELAN Driver versions from 11.x.x.x to 13.6.5.2
    • Software for searching/downloading/installing drivers such as IOBit Driver solution
    • Tried with the generic windows driver
    • Tried to rename the Realtek FMAPP.exe file (I've red on some forums it might help, nevertheless I didn't see any particular connection with Realtek HD Audio Manager and the touchpad)
    • Tried to find the app in C:\Program Files\Elantech -> only 3 files are sitting there with the current driver - no luck
    • Tried to search for simliar issue @ Google - nothing particular shows up


    Can anyone help me with some idea or what the hell I'm supposed to do. I am very disappointed with my brand new laptop and this stupid touchpad issue. The laptop is completely usable without a mouse. I've managed to connect my BT Logitech MX2 Anywhere. Having some issues there to - it drops from time to time but I guess I could live with that. Of course if there was a solution for the random drop of the mouse would be more than happy to see t now hem, but the touchpad is the main issue right now...
    Welcome to Tenforums! If your laptop is brand new with all these problems, maybe your vendor (where you bought it) should give a fix, or replacement. Most new equipment comes with a one year warranty. Have you contacted your vendor?
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    04 Dec 2016 #3
    Join Date : Dec 2016
    Posts : 4
    Windows 10 Pro (x64)
    Thread Starter

    Giving the laptop to the vendor will be my last option. I've wanted to see will be there a possible solution to this one because it seems to be a software issue - Never had issues like that on Windows 8.1 Pro for example...

    P.S. Just tried the Ubuntu 16.0.1 LTS and it's working fine? So the issue presists on Windows 10 I guess...
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    04 Dec 2016 #4
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 30,472
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)

    Quote Originally Posted by nullcx View Post
    Giving the laptop to the vendor will be my last option. I've wanted to see will be there a possible solution to this one because it seems to be a software issue - Never had issues like that on Windows 8.1 Pro for example...

    P.S. Just tried the Ubuntu 16.0.1 LTS and it's working fine? So the issue presists on Windows 10 I guess...
    Not sure where you got your installation media or what procedure you used for a clean install. It's best to complete wipe all partitions and let Windows install to 1 unallocated block of space. It will create all the partitions it needs. If you upgraded from 8.1, you should have a valid digital license on file with MS. Take a look at this tutorial and try a fresh clean install: Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    04 Dec 2016 #5
    Join Date : Dec 2016
    Posts : 4
    Windows 10 Pro (x64)
    Thread Starter

    Dude, I didn't made an Update from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. It was CLEAN install like I said on completely wiped out SSD (Partition for OS only). I have Windows 10 Pro license. It's not the case.

    Update 1: When I've switched from Advanced touchpad to the basic one in BIOS the lag disappears, but I am lacking of all gestures including scrolling....

    It's clearly the I2C Filter Driver but I don't know how to fix it yet....
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    04 Dec 2016 #6
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 30,472
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)

    Quote Originally Posted by nullcx View Post
    Dude, I didn't made an Update from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. It was CLEAN install like I said on completely wiped out SSD (Partition for OS only). I have Windows 10 Pro license. It's not the case.

    Update 1: When I've switched from Advanced touchpad to the basic one in BIOS the lag disappears, but I am lacking of all gestures including scrolling....

    It's clearly the I2C Filter Driver but I don't know how to fix it yet....
    There was no way of knowing any of what you just posted. You mentioned it worked on 8.1, so I guessed you did an update. Hope you get it fixed.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    06 Dec 2016 #7
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    England
    Posts : 978
    Windows IP 17074

    Quote Originally Posted by nullcx View Post
    Dude, I didn't made an Update from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. It was CLEAN install like I said on completely wiped out SSD (Partition for OS only). I have Windows 10 Pro license. It's not the case.

    Update 1: When I've switched from Advanced touchpad to the basic one in BIOS the lag disappears, but I am lacking of all gestures including scrolling....

    It's clearly the I2C Filter Driver but I don't know how to fix it yet....
    Do you have HID-Compliant mouse as well in Device manager?
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    06 Dec 2016 #8
    Join Date : Dec 2016
    Posts : 4
    Windows 10 Pro (x64)
    Thread Starter

    After few days of struggling with this kind of issue I've found workaround:

    I've changed the touchpad mode in BIOS settings from Advanced to Basic. After changing the touchpad mode I've stopped to experience the lagging and random freezing of the touchpad. I was able to install the ELAN driver and suddenly everything started to working like a charm. I guess there's an issue with Advanced mode of the elan touchpad. I hope everyone that has similar issue with TouchPad would know how to solve it, because it was really pain in @ss.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    06 Dec 2016 #9
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Poole Dorset UK
    Posts : 2,587
    Windows 10 x64 Home Version(1709) Build16299.194

    Hi when my touch pad froze on my Aser how I got over it was I pressed FN and F7 together which shut off the touchpad
    Then Repressed them both again and since then have had no trouble at all
    Just a thought if anyone else runs into the same problem
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
ELAN Touchpad lagging on initial touch
I just got the LG Gram 15 laptop. The ELAN touchpad delays/lags a bit when my finger first touches the pad. The mouse on the screen "jumps" a bit to compensate the delay. Seems like it is deliberately done to prevent accidental mouse movement...
Drivers and Hardware
Solved Windows 10 File Sharing Nightmare!!
This is crazy! Windows 10 networking is driving me nuts! I have five Windows 10 PC's, one Windows 7 PC that has not been booted in more than two months, and one Windows Home Server SP2 with Power Pack 3 (Windows Home Server Consoles are installed)....
Network and Sharing
Audio and Video freezing, lagging and cutting out (Windows 10)
Hi, I know that there have been alot of posts about this issue, but I have tried everything. When I stream hd videos on (youtube, netflix or play any video games) my audio and sometimes video freeeze for 5 sec, and it happens around every 10...
Performance & Maintenance
after windows 10 update touchpad freezing briefly after using keypad
Hello, I updated my laptop(HP envy m6 notebook) a few days ago from windows 8.1 to 10 and since then my touchpad/pointer has been freezing for 4-5 seconds after I touch any button on the keypad. eg. if i hit enter then i cannot move the...
Drivers and Hardware
File Explorer is lagging and freezing
This is a very annoying problem I have in Windows 10. It has been like this for 2 weeks and after a lot of searching and posting in forums, I haven't got any fix whatsoever. I'll explain my problem: If I open This PC (for example) icon on my...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums