Windows 10: Are all SSD Hard Drives created equal? Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    15 Jun 2015 #1

    Are all SSD Hard Drives created equal?


    Hi everyone. Getting ready to move from Win 7-64 to Win 10-64 when 10 is available next month. It's my understanding that Win 10 will not install over Win 7 so I'd like to install a new 250Gb SSD (I currently have Win 7 on a 128Gb SSD as C: ) for a clean install on it. Once all my files & software are transferred I'll keep the current 128Gb SSD as an extra drive.

    So, are all SSD Hard Drives created equal? I'm looking at NewEgg & the prices are all over the place. My current SSD is a Cruicial 128Gb which has worked 4 yrs flawlessly.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 8,144
    Mint 18.2
       15 Jun 2015 #2

    GARoss said: View Post
    Hi everyone. Getting ready to move from Win 7-64 to Win 10-64 when 10 is available next month. It's my understanding that Win 10 will not install over Win 7 so I'd like to install a new 250Gb SSD (I currently have Win 7 on a 128Gb SSD as C: ) for a clean install on it. Once all my files & software are transferred I'll keep the current 128Gb SSD as an extra drive.

    So, are all SSD Hard Drives created equal? I'm looking at NewEgg & the prices are all over the place. My current SSD is a Cruicial 128Gb which has worked 4 yrs flawlessly.
    Yes W10 is supposed to install over W7 and that is what M$ is going to do with there free W10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 689
    W10 Pro (desktop), W10 (laptop), W10 (laptop), W10Pro (tablet)
       15 Jun 2015 #3

    You will be able to install Win 10 as an upgrade to Win 7 meaning you will keep your installed programs and data.

    As far as the 2nd part of your post. No, not all ssds are created equal. Some have better performance or better reliability. For the most part the old saying holds true, "You get whta you pay for".
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 4,562
    Win 10 Pro x64
       15 Jun 2015 #4

    There's M.2 SSD, PCIe SSD, mSATA, and there's SATA SSD. The first one performs the best. But if your talking about the regular 2.5" SATA SSD, the answer is still "no" they're not created equal. But the popular Samsung 850 series is one of the good performers out there that doesn't hurt a pocket so much.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    16 Jun 2015 #5

    Thanks for the replies! The only reason I wanted a new SSD is because of my misunderstanding that W10 could not install over W7; meaning a clean install of W10 on the new SSD, as the W7 SSD lacks capacity (only 128Gb).

    So, the install procedure would be;
    • Save W7 data as an ISO (?) on a different drive.
    • Download the W10 ISO & create an install disk.
    • Load the disk so W7 is recognized.
    • Install W10 as a clean install on the current C:


    Something like that?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 8,144
    Mint 18.2
       16 Jun 2015 #6

    GARoss said: View Post
    Thanks for the replies! The only reason I wanted a new SSD is because of my misunderstanding that W10 could not install over W7; meaning a clean install of W10 on the new SSD, as the W7 SSD lacks capacity (only 128Gb).

    So, the install procedure would be;
    • Save W7 data as an ISO (?) on a different drive.
    • Download the W10 ISO & create an install disk.
    • Load the disk so W7 is recognized.
    • Install W10 as a clean install on the current C:


    Something like that?
    If you do a clean Install that will wipe all your W7 data and programs. If you want to keep your W7 stuff you need to do a upgrade that will keep all your data and programs and you will not need to reinstall. You do need to make a backup of your W7 so that if things go wrong you can restore and still have an OS.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 689
    W10 Pro (desktop), W10 (laptop), W10 (laptop), W10Pro (tablet)
       16 Jun 2015 #7

    You're confusing me. You say you want to do a clean install but then you say you want to have Win 7 "recognized" and then install Win 10. What do you mean that you want Win 7 recognized?

    Since you want to go to a larger ssd, the way I would do it would be to clone your current ssd with Win 7 and all your programs to a new, larger ssd. Once that was in working order, I would then do the upgrade to Win 10 would would keep all of your installed programs in tact.

    With a clean install you will need to reinstall all of your programs.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    16 Jun 2015 #8

    GARoss said: View Post
    Thanks for the replies! The only reason I wanted a new SSD is because of my misunderstanding that W10 could not install over W7; meaning a clean install of W10 on the new SSD, as the W7 SSD lacks capacity (only 128Gb).

    So, the install procedure would be;
    • Save W7 data as an ISO (?) on a different drive.
    • Download the W10 ISO & create an install disk.
    • Load the disk so W7 is recognized.
    • Install W10 as a clean install on the current C:


    Something like that?
    I was thinking of doing the same thing, I have 128 GB SSD on C with windows 7. I was thinking of this procedure:
    — create image of C: partition with macrium reflect
    — restore image to new SSD
    — Upgrade new SSD to windows 10.

    I always need a dual boot machine because I trust it better than windows emergency repair stuff, in case something goes wrong.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 16,489
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       16 Jun 2015 #9

    If you want to find out about SSD's go to http://techreport.com/storage/ and read all articles about the Endurance Experiment. The winner was(which I use as system drive on my desktop) the Samsung 840 Pro 256GB with over 2 Petabytes and when I was thinking of getting a Kingston M2, but after reading the specs, my Samsung still blows it away:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	21677
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10.    16 Jun 2015 #10

    GARoss said: View Post
    Thanks for the replies! The only reason I wanted a new SSD is because of my misunderstanding that W10 could not install over W7; meaning a clean install of W10 on the new SSD, as the W7 SSD lacks capacity (only 128Gb).

    So, the install procedure would be;
    • Save W7 data as an ISO (?) on a different drive.
    • Download the W10 ISO & create an install disk.
    • Load the disk so W7 is recognized.
    • Install W10 as a clean install on the current C:


    Something like that?
    I'm pretty sure you can directly upgrade Windows 7 to 10. You don't have to do a clean install.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
For example, my documents on on my Data drive G:, and although it is indexed documents don't show up in search. Does anyone know of a workaround for this?
hard drives. in Drivers and Hardware
my question is if you are using more than 1 hard drive in your computer I run 3 ops on 3 different drives. when you down load the new win 10 can you install on any drive in your computer? or only the one you signed up for the new down load from...
Windows 10 TP Hiding Hard Drives? in Drivers and Hardware
Anyone having trouble with Build 10041 hiding Drives? 1552115522
Solved Freezing external hard drives in Drivers and Hardware
I've been trying to transfer files to several external hard drives of mine in order to clear up space on my HDD, however every time I do begin a transfer, it will only do so for about 2-3 seconds, and then the transfer rate will drop rapidly until...
Build 9879 trashing hard drives! in Installation and Upgrade
I'm starting this thread because of the large number of HDDs I have lost since updating to Build 9879. The drives I have lost are all Seagate ST1000DM003 1 TB drives, 2 were VERY new (less than 2 Weeks old) and one was only about 2 Months old. The...

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:00.
Find Us