Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Joined : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 6,524
    All kinds
       4 Weeks Ago #11

    Yeah, band aid at best. If they were soft error bad sectors they wouldn't be relocated. If you manage to back drive up, any damaged files will still be damaged but there would be no repercussions to new system.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 12,374
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 14393 Multiprocessor Free
       4 Weeks Ago #12

    CountMike said: View Post
    Yeah, band aid at best. If they were soft error bad sectors they wouldn't be relocated. If you manage to back drive up, any damaged files will still be damaged but there would be no repercussions to new system.
    If the OP is lucky the soft error bad sectors might be repaired with running chkdsk /r in an admin command prompt and rebooting to start it. Then create a system image, and reimage to new disk. Note: your new disk needs to be same size or larger than the system partition(C:) or disk, to reimage to it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Aug 2016
    Posts : 10
    Windows 10
       4 Weeks Ago #13

    CountMike said: View Post
    Yeah, band aid at best. If they were soft error bad sectors they wouldn't be relocated. If you manage to back drive up, any damaged files will still be damaged but there would be no repercussions to new system.
    If that's the case then I should really get a new hard drive to prevent further problems if my hard drive fails on me sooner than expected. I have to be prepared for the worst since this kind of stuff happened to me and it caught me by surprise and lost all of my data, unfortunately.

    Cliff S said: View Post
    If the OP is lucky the soft error bad sectors might be repaired with running chkdsk /r in an admin command prompt and rebooting to start it. Then create a system image, and reimage to new disk. Note: your new disk needs to be same size or larger than the system partition(C or disk, to reimage to it.
    I might just do that to see if it can somehow prevent my hard drive for failing too soon. What are the process to create a system image? Kinda at lost for that part.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 12,374
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 14393 Multiprocessor Free
       4 Weeks Ago #14

    Zanmato said: View Post
    If that's the case then I should really get a new hard drive to prevent further problems if my hard drive fails on me sooner than expected. I have to be prepared for the worst since this kind of stuff happened to me and it caught me by surprise and lost all of my data, unfortunately.



    I might just do that to see if it can somehow prevent my hard drive for failing too soon. What are the process to create a system image? Kinda at lost for that part.
    Check out this excellent tutorial from @Kari Macrium Reflect - Backup Restore - Windows 10 Forums
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5.    3 Weeks Ago #15

    No, you don't need to worry about messing up a new hard drive by copying files from an old one (unless you were to copy a virus or other malware, but it doesn't sound like that's what we're dealing with here). If you were to image the old drive, then install that image onto the new one, you might introduce problems that way. But it would be because some of those copied files in the image were damaged, rather than through some kind of nefarious infection mechanism.

    The other posters recommending a clean install are trying to help you avoid this outcome. You can copy all the files you want from the old drive, and then use chkdsk to scan them for errors and attempt repairs. This may result in the loss of some files, but should get most of your stuff across more or less intact. You just don't want to do this with OS files (or important applications) because this could cause runtime trouble further down the road. Hope this makes sense, and that you find this explanation helpful.

    --Ed--
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 121
    Windows 10 Pro
       3 Weeks Ago #16

    Hard drive is failing, is there a way to copy Windows 10 OS?


    EdTittel said: View Post
    You can copy all the files you want from the old drive, and then use chkdsk to scan them for errors and attempt repairs. This may result in the loss of some files, but should get most of your stuff across more or less intact. You just don't want to do this with OS files (or important applications) because this could cause runtime trouble further down the road. Hope this makes sense, and that you find this explanation helpful.

    --Ed--
    Good afternoon Ed! Just a curious question here, what would be the point of using CHKDSK if you are going to lose files. My biggest concern would be to lose very very important files. Now, I did use this CHKDSK on one of my hard drives , But luckily I had my other hard drive that I made back ups before my hard drives got corrupted to see if all my files were there.

    Also, any data loss that you incur whether from CHKDSK etc. besides using a data recovery program are there any other methods of getting that data loss back or are the files definitely gone forever?

    In my problem, I used easeUS Data Recovery and it seemed to recover my files but not all of them and some of the recovered files are scattered in other folders. So, sorry if I'm repeating, again anything that especially this software did not recover is that lost forever? Are there any other solutions to get the files back that the current software could not get? Or is it basically it's gone except it and move on?


    Thank you!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7.    3 Weeks Ago #17

    Unless you want to try an (expensive) professional data recovery service, those problem or damaged files are more or less unrecoverable. The professionals have expensive tools and software and can sometimes recover things that commercial end-user software cannot. But it will costs hundreds to thousands of dollars to do, so you must decide if those files are worth the outlay. For some people they are (which is how those companies stay in business). Up to you!
    HTH,
    --Ed--

    PS: I've got a friend/co-author who's a professional forensics expert. If you want, I can ask him to recommend best/most reliable commercial recovery services (Neil Broom Technical Resource Center https://www.linkedin.com/in/neilbroom).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 121
    Windows 10 Pro
       3 Weeks Ago #18

    EdTittel said: View Post
    Unless you want to try an (expensive) professional data recovery service, those problem or damaged files are more or less unrecoverable. The professionals have expensive tools and software and can sometimes recover things that commercial end-user software cannot. But it will costs hundreds to thousands of dollars to do, so you must decide if those files are worth the outlay. For some people they are (which is how those companies stay in business). Up to you!
    HTH,
    --Ed--

    PS: I've got a friend/co-author who's a professional forensics expert. If you want, I can ask him to recommend best/most reliable commercial recovery services (Neil Broom Technical Resource Center https://www.linkedin.com/in/neilbroom).
    Thank you very much Ed for your response, explanation and clarification. It helped! I understand now. Thank you for the recommendation. At this point in time, I won't do commercial services. I am still not sure what files I have lost, if any. I have to go through them still.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9.    3 Weeks Ago #19

    May your file adventures come to a happy conclusion, with nothing of importance lost in the wash! Best wishes,
    --Ed--
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 121
    Windows 10 Pro
       3 Weeks Ago #20

    EdTittel said: View Post
    May your file adventures come to a happy conclusion, with nothing of importance lost in the wash! Best wishes,
    --Ed--
    Thank you Ed! I appreciate your input thank you for doing that. You have a great wonderful day.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Copy images files from old hard drive to another
I found an old hard drive which I want to format, not before I transfer all the photos there, It's just that it's so old I wanted to know if there's a faster way than to search for them. Maybe there's a way to find all images files (jpeg, png) and...
General Support
Unable to copy items to Second Hard Drive
So I have a second 1tb WD Black hard drive where I store all my games and files but I can no longer move anything into the hard-drive even tho windows says I have 500gb of free space. I reformatted but I still have these problems. Should I RMA it?...
Drivers and Hardware
Solved Installing 2nd copy of Win 10 into free space on hard drive
Actually it's an SSD. How can I be positively sure that I'm doing a fresh install of Win 10 into free space on my SSD, and not wipe out an existing Win 10 install. I want to have two copies of Win 10 on my system. I have an unused Win 8.1...
Installation and Setup
Failing to replace failing laptop hard drive
Toshiba C55 series with a failing hard drive. My first attempt was to clone the drives using my Acronis True Image 2015. Formatted the new drive and placed in the PC. Old HD in a USB drive enclosure. Booted from the TI "Bootable Rescue Media.."...
Performance & Maintenance
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:10.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums