Reccomendations for a new Graphics card

  1. LittleJay's Avatar
    Posts : 9,646
    W10 Pro, W10 Home
       #1

    Reccomendations for a new Graphics card


    I am looking to replace my current graphics card and am looking for a quality, yet reasonably priced card. I do not game, so I don't need a high end GPU. My current MB is the Asus P8P67 Deluxe, which doesn't have onboard graphics. The CPU I have running is the Intel i5 2500k. I have a 1000 watt PSU, so available power wouldn't be an issue. Any ideas would be appreciated!
      My Computer

  2. CountMike's Avatar
    Posts : 17,029
    W10 Insider + Linux
       #2

    Just what is your GPU now ?
    It all depends on amount of money you want to sink in, with any of today's retail GPUs your CPU will not be bottleneck.
      My Computers

  3. LittleJay's Avatar
    Posts : 9,646
    W10 Pro, W10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #3

    CountMike said:
    Just what is your GPU now ?
    It all depends on amount of money you want to sink in, with any of today's retail GPUs your CPU will not be bottleneck.
    The GPU I have installed right now is the EVGA GTX 460. But I have been having problems with it. For example, when I boot up and restart quite often I will get a blurry screen and I have to reboot. Also, it simply refuses to load when I come out of sleep mode. This has just started happening within the last couple of weeks. Before that everything worked fine. I have tried removing the card and cleaning the contacts with alcohol, before re-seating it. I have re-installed a number of older software drivers that I know worked previously, but that has made no difference. So, I figured my next option was to try a new GPU. I would be willing to spend up to a $100 US for a new GPU.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 103
    Windows 10
       #4

    I just picked up the MSI nVidia GTX 970. It's probably more power than you need since you're a non-gamer, but I got a refurb for a reasonable $300. (It retails for $360.) It all really comes down to what you'll be doing. If you are just web browsing, email, and watching videos, then if your MB has an on-board GPU that would probably be enough.
      My Computer

  5. CountMike's Avatar
    Posts : 17,029
    W10 Insider + Linux
       #5

    I'm not sure you'll get anything decent for 100 bucks. Some R7 260 may run just a bit more, I'm pretty satisfied with it. It's just right balance between 2D and 3D and 1 GB is enough for it. R7 250 is not far behind: MSI R7 250 1GD5 OC Radeon R7 250 1GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card - Newegg.com they both go well over 450 MHz in 2D which is better for non gamers. Older GPUs rarely go over 300 MHz in 2D.
      My Computers

  6. LittleJay's Avatar
    Posts : 9,646
    W10 Pro, W10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #6

    CountMike said:
    I'm not sure you'll get anything decent for 100 bucks. Some R7 260 may run just a bit more, I'm pretty satisfied with it. It's just right balance between 2D and 3D and 1 GB is enough for it. R7 250 is not far behind: MSI R7 250 1GD5 OC Radeon R7 250 1GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card - Newegg.com they both go well over 450 MHz in 2D which is better for non gamers. Older GPUs rarely go over 300 MHz in 2D.
    Thanks Mike! One question. My motherboard has 2 PCI express 2.0 slots, so I was wondering if a PCI express 3.0 GPU is backwards compatible.
      My Computer


  7. CountMike's Avatar
    Posts : 17,029
    W10 Insider + Linux
       #7

    LittleJay said:
    Thanks Mike! One question. My motherboard has 2 PCI express 2.0 slots, so I was wondering if a PCI express 3.0 GPU is backwards compatible.
    Yes they are compatible but only top notch cards may see some benefits from 3.0 so nothing to fret about. It's also good to get newer card because of promised Dx12 which cards that do not have Dx11 compliance should not get benefit of.
      My Computers

  8. LittleJay's Avatar
    Posts : 9,646
    W10 Pro, W10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #8

    CountMike said:
    Yes they are compatible but only top notch cards may see some benefits from 3.0 so nothing to fret about. It's also good to get newer card because of promised Dx12 which cards that do not have Dx11 compliance should not get benefit of.
    Sounds good. Thanks for your help! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127791 The R7 250 GPU you show is sold out, but this card should work as well.
      My Computer

  9. CountMike's Avatar
    Posts : 17,029
    W10 Insider + Linux
       #9

    LittleJay said:
    Sounds good. Thanks for your help! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127791 The R7 250 GPU you show is sold out, but this card should work as well.
    Same card 79 bucks after rebate, not bad at all. You may have a look at other makes of same card, might be some cheaper ones but this MSI has best cooling of all other makes. Same cooler goes on up to R9 280 cards that produce much more heat so on this one it should cool like crazy.
      My Computers


 

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums