Windows 10: My windows 10 laptop does not detect my Transcend 1TB externalHDD

  1.    23 Sep 2016 #1

    My windows 10 laptop does not detect my Transcend 1TB externalHDD


    SO I have a 1 TB Transcend Hard disk and it use to work perfectly flawless before I updated my windows 10 now after I have updated my windows 10 my laptop does not detect my Hard disk I can see it in my disk Management but can't change the disk letter so that specific solution is useless. Also I have checked on my other laptop with windows 10 and the hard disk is detected there and works fine.

    Please help as I don't want to format the hard disk I don't have enough space in my other laptop to backup all the data that is in my hard disk and neither do I have money right now to buy the new hard disk and transfer all stuff there so can you provide a solution for it?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (15).png 
Views:	4 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	102868Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (16).png 
Views:	4 
Size:	137.5 KB 
ID:	102869

    For more information refer the pictures!
    Last edited by reawaken; 23 Sep 2016 at 21:12.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 3,529
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, Win7 Home, Linux Mint
       23 Sep 2016 #2

    reawaken said: View Post
    SO I have a 1 TB Transcend Hard disk and it use to work perfectly flawless before I updated my windows 10 now after I have updated my windows 10 my laptop does not detect my Hard disk I can see it in my disk Management but can't change the disk letter so that specific solution is useless. Also I have checked on my other laptop with windows 10 and the hard disk is detected there and works fine.

    Please help as I don't want to format the hard disk I don't have enough space in my other laptop to backup all the data that is in my hard disk and neither do I have money right now to buy the new hard disk and transfer all stuff there so can you provide a solution for it?
    I did a Search and found that drive may need a USB 3.0 port and depending upon the age of your Notebook you may have only USB 2.0 ports.
    Transcend hard disk drive at DuckDuckGo
    Supposedly the USB 3.0 drives can be backward compatible to USB 2.0 but that's really no guarantee. Most times the USB 2.0 ports have a black 'tongue' while the USB 3.0 ports are blue.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    23 Sep 2016 #3

    Berton said: View Post
    I did a Search and found that drive may need a USB 3.0 port and depending upon the age of your Notebook you may have only USB 2.0 ports.
    Transcend hard disk drive at DuckDuckGo
    Supposedly the USB 3.0 drives can be backward compatible to USB 2.0 but that's really no guarantee. Most times the USB 2.0 ports have a black 'tongue' while the USB 3.0 ports are blue.

    3 things firstly I have an USB 3.0 with blue tongue port.
    Secondly MY older laptops which is like 6 years older than this one and has windows 7 recognizes my Hard disk
    Thirdly before my computer made a specific update not sure which I was able to access my hard disk before the update in windows 10 the same laptop which is having the problem right now so yeah !! I guess that explains your confusion!And yeah one more thing even if I plug my HDD into the usb3.0 still the same situation
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    24 Sep 2016 #4

    reawaken said: View Post
    3 things firstly I have an USB 3.0 with blue tongue port.
    Secondly MY older laptops which is like 6 years older than this one and has windows 7 recognizes my Hard disk
    Thirdly before my computer made a specific update not sure which I was able to access my hard disk before the update in windows 10 the same laptop which is having the problem right now so yeah !! I guess that explains your confusion!And yeah one more thing even if I plug my HDD into the usb3.0 still the same situation
    I have almost the same problem with you, but my external HDD cannot be seen in the disk management which is worst than yours. I tried my drive on other laptops and it works fine. It's really frustrating..
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    24 Sep 2016 #5

    hristcroix said: View Post
    I have almost the same problem with you, but my external HDD cannot be seen in the disk management which is worst than yours. I tried my drive on other laptops and it works fine. It's really frustrating..
    IKR? Its just so frustrating that an update ruins your laptop which should technically make it more smoother.

    It is like we are updating our computers to get bugs in it and not get the bugs fixed in it!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    25 Sep 2016 #6

    reawaken said: View Post
    IKR? Its just so frustrating that an update ruins your laptop which should technically make it more smoother.

    It is like we are updating our computers to get bugs in it and not get the bugs fixed in it!
    This really pisses me off. Is your external HDD can be detected on USB 2.0 port? Mine can, but not on USB 3.0 ports. I tried reinstalling drivers but still not working. But the weird thing is my flash drives and keyboard can be detected, only the external HDD.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    25 Sep 2016 #7

    hristcroix said: View Post
    This really pisses me off. Is your external HDD can be detected on USB 2.0 port? Mine can, but not on USB 3.0 ports. I tried reinstalling drivers but still not working. But the weird thing is my flash drives and keyboard can be detected, only the external HDD.
    yup mine does.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Hi there. i have been at this for about 6 and a half hours now. I am trying to connect a windows 8 laptop to a windows 10 desktop homegroup via wifi. The desktop created the homegroup with no issues and if i go into the "media streaming options" i...
Hi everyone. I have a MSI GS60 ghost pro gaming laptop which has Intel HD graphics 4600 and Nvidia GTX970M GPU, CPU i7 4720HQ, running Windows 10. I study abroad, several months ago i went back home and plugged-in my laptop to the TV via HDMI for...
Hi everyone. I have a MSI GS60 ghost pro gaming laptop which has Intel HD graphics 4600 and Nvidia GTX970M GPU, CPU i7 4720HQ, running Windows 10. I study abroad, several months ago i went back home and plugged-in my laptop to the TV via HDMI for...
Just realised that, since I upgraded from Win 7 64 Home Premium to Win 10, it has not detected the laptop's Bluetooth device. It doesn't even feature as a device in Device Manager ... not even one with a problem.
My laptop has been running windows 10 very well for the past month. About 2 weeks ago my computer stop detecting wifi devices. just last week my computer has decided to stop detecting ethernet at random times. sometimes it lasts for 15 min....
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:49.
Find Us