Windows 10: Headphone sometimes wont work unpredictably?

  1.    18 Sep 2016 #1

    Headphone sometimes wont work unpredictably?


    Hey there.

    Recently I have upgraded to Windows 10.

    I am experiencing an issue where sometimes when I plug in my headphones, there will be no audio coming from them even when Im playing music on the computer.

    The music always plays fine from the speakers.
    The music always plays fine from headphones when I'm using a USB DAC.
    The music always played fine in Windows 8.1 before this through headphones..
    The music always plays fine in Linux, my dual boot along side Windows 10.

    My headphones for sure work as all my other devices and OSes are fine with it.
    My hardware is fine as everything work(s/ed) fine for Linux and Windows 8.1.
    My computer always recognizes the headphones when I plug them in, but won't always play audio through them.

    Restarting the computer does not always fix the issue, but rebooting into Linux then back into Windows 10 always fixes the issue.

    I have tried 3 different sets of audio drivers; Windows 8.1, Windows 10 and Windows Generic Drivers for my device (Eurocom M4). The problem persists in all of them.

    I have updated my BIOS to a Windows 10 supported one my manufacturer provided. It didn't help.

    It isn't malware for sure as this has been happening since the OS was newly installed.

    It persists with all headphones, not just one pair.

    Anyone have any possible idea how to fix this issue? I've tried everything I could.
    Last edited by elemein; 18 Sep 2016 at 20:21.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 3,598
    Mac OS Sierra
       19 Sep 2016 #2

    Sounds like an IRQ issue where the driver is having issues when it senses that there is a set of headphones plugged in, versus the Speakers. You do need to fill in your System Spec's. Without that information, including Motherboard if custom built or mfg. and model of OEM, along with the sound driver, there is not much else that can be done.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    19 Sep 2016 #3

    bro67 said: View Post
    Sounds like an IRQ issue where the driver is having issues when it senses that there is a set of headphones plugged in, versus the Speakers. You do need to fill in your System Spec's. Without that information, including Motherboard if custom built or mfg. and model of OEM, along with the sound driver, there is not much else that can be done.
    Hi there bro!

    Here are my specs:

    CPU: Intel i7-4710MQ
    GPU: nVidia 860M
    RAM: 10 GB RAM
    SSD: Samsung 250GB EVO
    Motherboard: Clevo W230SS

    My laptop is a Eurocom M4.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 3,598
    Mac OS Sierra
       19 Sep 2016 #4

    Fill out all sections under "My System Specs", so that it is permanently there. The biggest thing that we are looking at is sound driver and chipset. Along with any errors that may be logged when you plug in the headphones. What are the brand of headphones that you are using? Are you still using that DAC? Can you also post the technical spec's on those headphones.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 3,598
    Mac OS Sierra
       19 Sep 2016 #5

    Well that answers it. Looked up your notebook and it appears that there may be a quality issue is why you are having those problems. I bet the headphone jack is so cheap that it is why you are having the problems.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    19 Sep 2016 #6

    bro67 said: View Post
    Well that answers it. Looked up your notebook and it appears that there may be a quality issue is why you are having those problems. I bet the headphone jack is so cheap that it is why you are having the problems.
    If the problem is a hardware issue, why does it work flawlessly on Linux and Windows 8.1 but has issues with Windows 10 as I stated in the OP?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 3,598
    Mac OS Sierra
       19 Sep 2016 #7

    elemein said: View Post
    If the problem is a hardware issue, why does it work flawlessly on Linux and Windows 8.1 but has issues with Windows 10 as I stated in the OP?
    That laptop board is used by different manufacturers and there are complaints about it not working correctly with Windows. The drivers used by Windows 8., are those that date back to XP and have been slightly modified to allow 7 & 8.x to use them. Linux uses Pulse Audio which handles it at the Hardware layer, not the software/OS layer.

    Still need mfg & model, along with tech. spec's on those headphones and the DAC info. Personally if it worked with earlier versions with Windows, that motherboard chips drivers will always be a problem. Cheaply made hardware, equals many headaches.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    19 Sep 2016 #8

    bro67 said: View Post
    That laptop board is used by different manufacturers and there are complaints about it not working correctly with Windows. The drivers used by Windows 8., are those that date back to XP and have been slightly modified to allow 7 & 8.x to use them. Linux uses Pulse Audio which handles it at the Hardware layer, not the software/OS layer.

    Still need mfg & model, along with tech. spec's on those headphones and the DAC info. Personally if it worked with earlier versions with Windows, that motherboard chips drivers will always be a problem. Cheaply made hardware, equals many headaches.
    The manufacturer is Eurocom and the model is M4. It's based off of the Clevo W230SS chassis. That's all I know as far as manufacturer.

    The DAC is a USB DAC and very inconvenient to use as I'd rather just use the headphone jack on the laptop instead of another cable + black box + jack there. Its a Hifiman HE101.

    I really am not in a financial position to buy a new laptop, and since it's a laptop I don't beleive I can replace just the audio part of the chipset, so I'd really like to make things work with the hardware that I have.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 3,598
    Mac OS Sierra
       19 Sep 2016 #9

    The DAC is a better chipset than on the laptop. If you can use Linux and since it is at Hardware layer for Alsa, or Windows 7, that may be the best route. As for the DAC. Use it when you are going to need it for music or other stuff.

    If you do a search on that unit, it is not rated very highly and there are a lot of complaints about audio and Windows 10. If Microsoft would just adopt Alsa and Pulse audio for Windows, we would not have a lot of the hardware that ran fine with 8.x, not running with 10 because of no proper drivers.

    There is a Pulseaudio build out there that you can try and see if that works. Keep in mind that if you try it, make a backup of your machine or a restore point in case something happens. Download PulseAudio 9.0 (Free) for Windows
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    19 Sep 2016 #10

    bro67 said: View Post
    The DAC is a better chipset than on the laptop. If you can use Linux and since it is at Hardware layer for Alsa, or Windows 7, that may be the best route. As for the DAC. Use it when you are going to need it for music or other stuff.

    If you do a search on that unit, it is not rated very highly and there are a lot of complaints about audio and Windows 10. If Microsoft would just adopt Alsa and Pulse audio for Windows, we would not have a lot of the hardware that ran fine with 8.x, not running with 10 because of no proper drivers.

    There is a Pulseaudio build out there that you can try and see if that works. Keep in mind that if you try it, make a backup of your machine or a restore point in case something happens. Download PulseAudio 9.0 (Free) for Windows
    Ill try out the PulseAudio server, though I don't quite understand how to install it?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Keyboard in RDP sometimes wont work in Network and Sharing
Hello, I am facing this strange issue, i keep some rdp windows open for work all day and at some point the keyboard just stops working on the remote desktops, only the mouse works, to get it working again i have to close the rdp session and...
I got a headphone plug stuck into my jack and i got it out but my internal speakers still will not work. and i dont know what to do
Netflix wont work? in Software and Apps
I have updated my laptop to windows 10 and since then the app wont work, I have also tried loading it on the internet and chrome but it still doesn't work. Every time I go on it works but when I press what I want to watch it loads and then comes up...
Solved DVD burner wont work in Drivers and Hardware
Windows 10, DVD burner wont work after upgrade, does not show on computer.
Just upgraded my Win 8.1 pro EN-GB using media tool and I cant search or get cortana to work. It worked fine in the Insider Preview. Anyone got any ideas ? Going to check regional settings now but I dont thing its that. Tim
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:52.
Find Us