Windows 10: HP dv7-4171US Video Drivers problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    30 Aug 2016 #1

    HP dv7-4171US Video Drivers problem


    My Laptop has two video cards. one is a Mobility Radeon HD 5000 and the other is a 4050. I installed what I thought were the correct drivers but Windows 10 isn't using them.

    it seems that the system is using the Microsoft Video Driver which is forcing my extra monitor to mirror the desktop rather than extend it,
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    30 Aug 2016 #2

    MannyLNJ said: View Post
    My Laptop has two video cards. one is a Mobility Radeon HD 5000 and the other is a 4050. I installed what I thought were the correct drivers but Windows 10 isn't using them.

    it seems that the system is using the Microsoft Video Driver which is forcing my extra monitor to mirror the desktop rather than extend it,
    First of all, that model laptop has one video card, and that is the ATI Mobility Radeon 5470 s. See the spec sheet for that laptop here.
    According to AMD, the latest driver for that GPU is legacy driver 15.7.1. See the driver release notes here.

    So I guess your first step would be to verify for us which driver you tried to install.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    30 Aug 2016 #3

    Under Display Drivers it shows TWO entries
    Amd Mobility Radeon HD 5000 series
    ATI Mobolity Radeon HD 4200 series

    The Radeon 5000 entry shows it is using Driver Version 15.201.1151.1008
    The Radeon 4200 entry shows it is using Driver Version 15.201.1151.1008 as well

    Under General-> Device Status the 5000 shows Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)
    Under General -> Device Status the 4200 shows No Drivers are installed for this device


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	device manager post 1.PNG 
Views:	5 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	99041Click image for larger version. 

Name:	device manager post 1.PNG 
Views:	5 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	99041
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    30 Aug 2016 #4

    I would wager that it is a really funky driver installation over your laptop magically created a second GPU for itself, especially considering one device has driver problems and the other has none. I would start by downloading the latest Display Driver Uninstaller and wiping all the current broken drivers form the laptop. Then I would try to install the 15.7.1 drivers and see what happens.

    Out of curiosity, Did you upgrade that machine from 7 to 10 and then clean install 10, or did you just upgrade and leave it?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    30 Aug 2016 #5

    Carsomyr said: View Post
    I would wager that it is a really funky driver installation over your laptop magically created a second GPU for itself, especially considering one device has driver problems and the other has none. I would start by downloading the latest Display Driver Uninstaller and wiping all the current broken drivers form the laptop. Then I would try to install the 15.7.1 drivers and see what happens.

    Out of curiosity, Did you upgrade that machine from 7 to 10 and then clean install 10, or did you just upgrade and leave it?
    I did a fresh install of 10 on an SSD drive. DDU ran system shows TWO cards still. I will run the driver install next.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	device manager post.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	99044
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    30 Aug 2016 #6

    Carsomyr said: View Post
    First of all, that model laptop has one video card, and that is the ATI Mobility Radeon 5470 s. See the spec sheet for that laptop here.
    According to AMD, the latest driver for that GPU is legacy driver 15.7.1. See the driver release notes here.

    So I guess your first step would be to verify for us which driver you tried to install.
    The HP spec sheet for that model lists that it has "itchable graphics". I suppose that's a typo for switchable graphics:

    http://support.hp.com/nz-en/document/c03048333

    In effect, there are two graphics controllers (low and high power), only one of which is used at any moment.

    I have no personal experience with dual graphics. I wonder whether it requires special drivers? HP seems to offer none fro download, even for the original OS (Win 7).
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    30 Aug 2016 #7

    After reinstaling the AMD drivers it is still giving me the same issues.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    30 Aug 2016 #8

    bobkn said: View Post
    The HP spec sheet for that model lists that it has "itchable graphics". I suppose that's a typo for switchable graphics:

    http://support.hp.com/nz-en/document/c03048333

    In effect, there are two graphics controllers (low and high power), only one of which is used at any moment.

    I have no personal experience with dual graphics. I wonder whether it requires special drivers? HP seems to offer none fro download, even for the original OS (Win 7).
    I saw that too, but normally when something has switchable graphics both adapters are listed under video graphics.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    30 Aug 2016 #9

    MannyLNJ said: View Post
    After reinstaling the AMD drivers it is still giving me the same issues.
    Well then give this a try. Run DDU again. Then Install the original driver from HP found here, and let us know if you still have 2/if it gives you issues.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    30 Aug 2016 #10

    That driver is for Windows 7 do I use compatibility mode to install it?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Hi everyone, I really have a big complain about Windows 10 and that is the video playback buffer. Back at Windows 8.1 i had no issues at all. I regret getting this upgrade. So I've been searching for my drivers which is an Intel(R) HD Graphics (I...
Microsoft keeps downgrading my video drivers in Windows Updates and Activation
I am very annoyed now! it has been going on for about 3 months now. I have AMD Beta Drivers installed and every time Microsoft thinks that they have a better driver for my computer and all they do is install the latest Normal Non beta drivers! Very...
Video Drivers in Graphic Cards
Did a clean install 10122 preview.I had to install drivers for the video cards. The other builds I did not have to do this.Then I did the updates the drivers would be installed.Is there a reason 10112 does not do this?
Solved Video Drivers in Installation and Upgrade
Want to install Windows 10 Preview on a Dell Inspiron m5030. When the installer reboots the install, after a shot time screen goes Black.As if there are no Video drivers. I use to run Windows 7 on it no problem. I have been using Linux on it....
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:43.
Find Us