Windows 10: Windows Ink / Wacom detecting pressure but only half Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    28 Aug 2016 #1

    Windows Ink / Wacom detecting pressure but only half


    My issue is with my Wacom Bamboo (Or any wacom for that matter) and Windows 10. I've tested on other WIN10 Machines and it works fine but I've done something, or installed something that has caused this issue.

    The Issue

    Tablet pen pressure is detected but will only apply to a maximum of 50%, so lines are very light. Disabling 'Windows Ink' in the Wacom control panel removes pen pressure detection all together.

    What I've Tried
    I've tried a bunch of different drivers and even contacted Wacom support to no avail. The issue seems to be with Windows, specifically my installation. Definitely not a hardware issue, works fine on Mac OS X and another Windows Machine.

    Here is a screenshot to help illustrate my issue. Any help appreciated.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wacom_issue.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	98685
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. bro67's Avatar
    Posts : 3,240
    EL Capitan
       28 Aug 2016 #2

    First off have you contacted Wacom to see if they have an updated driver or having other users have problem with this particular model? Have you checked their forums to see if others have had the issue and have found work arounds?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3.    28 Aug 2016 #3

    bro67 said: View Post
    First off have you contacted Wacom to see if they have an updated driver or having other users have problem with this particular model? Have you checked their forums to see if others have had the issue and have found work arounds?
    Hi bro67,

    Yes, that was my first move. I've tried a range of different drivers including the last with no luck. I've tried on different computers with success.

    So the issue is with my installation. I've come accross ONE other user with this issue but by the looks of it they didn't get very far. I don't want to have to reformat my computer just ot solve this issue. Who knows what broke and what would set it off agian.

    Most people have the issue of 'NO' pressure detection what so ever, but mine can detect pressure but is always the lightest touch. Again, not a hardware issue or a driver issue. Something to do with Windows and/or windows ink. There is obviously a config file somewhere that stores max-pressure or something.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4.    28 Aug 2016 #4

    LexGear,

    Try googling RegMon. It's a registry monitoring utility. I haven't used it on Win10, but it's been critical for isolating application issues for me in the past. You can start it just before opening your application; Then stop it. You can then go in and look at the various registry entries the application read / modified / deleted.

    Be aware, applications can read / write a LOT of configuration settings. A small app, can generate 100 pages of registry reads pretty easily.

    If there's a registry setting that controls the pen pressure (should be), then a dynamic registry monitor will see it.

    (Retired Tier3 MS Debug Engineer)
    J
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5.    28 Aug 2016 #5

    UmmReally said: View Post
    LexGear,

    Try googling RegMon. It's a registry monitoring utility. I haven't used it on Win10, but it's been critical for isolating application issues for me in the past. You can start it just before opening your application; Then stop it. You can then go in and look at the various registry entries the application read / modified / deleted.

    Be aware, applications can read / write a LOT of configuration settings. A small app, can generate 100 pages of registry reads pretty easily.

    If there's a registry setting that controls the pen pressure (should be), then a dynamic registry monitor will see it.

    (Retired Tier3 MS Debug Engineer)
    J
    Well that's anoying. I clicked "Reply to Thread" instead of post and lost my reply. What I was going to say, was:

    Hi UmmReally, thank you for your reply. I'll give it a go but I'm not too sure how helpful it will be as Windows Ink is a service that runs from the moment you log in and is always polling for Input and pen pressure. But I think your swinging in the right area. I will give your advice a go.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6.    28 Aug 2016 #6

    LegGear,

    Easy one. I'm not familiar with Ink, but if it's running as a service easy cheasy... Just stop the service, start the RegMon then restart the Ink service, then back to stop the RegMon. Should have a log of everything Ink read from the registry when it started up. Hope that catches it for you.

    (Retired Tier3 MS Debug Engineer)
    J
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7.    28 Aug 2016 #7

    UmmReally said: View Post
    LegGear,

    Easy one. I'm not familiar with Ink, but if it's running as a service easy cheasy... Just stop the service, start the RegMon then restart the Ink service, then back to stop the RegMon. Should have a log of everything Ink read from the registry when it started up. Hope that catches it for you.

    (Retired Tier3 MS Debug Engineer)
    J
    Thank you Mr. Really, I'll give it a go and get back to you with what I find.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8.    28 Aug 2016 #8

    LexGear,

    Here's another path that might help you: If you can find the (rough) location for the ink registry entries. You could do an export of that registry branch from both computers, then use a utility like windiff (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/171780), to compare the two registries. Windiff will highlight any differences in the registry.

    I haven't used windiff since XP, but i've managed to uncover quite a few issues via bad reg entries over the years with it. I wouldn't see any reason it won't work for Win10 registry exports.

    Happy hunting,
    (Retired Tier3 MS Debug Engineer)
    J
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. bro67's Avatar
    Posts : 3,240
    EL Capitan
       29 Aug 2016 #9

    The Ubuntu distro's now have Wacom tablet in them. If you are only having a problem with that one computer, it could just be a hardware issue. Especially that you ruled everything else out and have going through all of the troubleshooting.

    I am surprised that Wacom is not even handing, since they have been around forever and always handled their customers, since the Mac community is why they took off in the 80's.

    Which tablet model are you using? What is the driver that is installed? Have you tried without your mouse connected, with a different USB card and cable? If you have a NVidia GPU/APU, double check to make sure that is the latest. Have you gone through this guide? How to fix your graphic tablet and pen | Artfixed

    It can be anything interfering with the IRQ for the tablet on the USB, such as a mouse or another touch device. Even a monitor can cause issues if there is a sketchy ground between the LCD monitor and computer.

    I would say that if it works with a Mac and you are using it for work, You may just have to opt to go that route and only use the windows machine for other stuff.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10.    29 Aug 2016 #10

    bro67 said: View Post
    The Ubuntu distro's now have Wacom tablet in them. If you are only having a problem with that one computer, it could just be a hardware issue. Especially that you ruled everything else out and have going through all of the troubleshooting.

    I am surprised that Wacom is not even handing, since they have been around forever and always handled their customers, since the Mac community is why they took off in the 80's.

    Which tablet model are you using? What is the driver that is installed? Have you tried without your mouse connected, with a different USB card and cable? If you have a NVidia GPU/APU, double check to make sure that is the latest. Have you gone through this guide? How to fix your graphic tablet and pen | Artfixed

    It can be anything interfering with the IRQ for the tablet on the USB, such as a mouse or another touch device. Even a monitor can cause issues if there is a sketchy ground between the LCD monitor and computer.

    I would say that if it works with a Mac and you are using it for work, You may just have to opt to go that route and only use the windows machine for other stuff.
    No, bro67, it's not a hardware issue, as stated above I've tested on a Mac and another Windows Machine. I've also had help from Wacom but it was basic advice, ie Try latest driver.

    I'm using the Bamboo CTH-470/K. I've tried ALL the drivers available for this device. Nothing is interfering.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Hey all, Just upgraded to Windows 10. My Wacom pen table is working quite well, but on video editing programs (After Effects, PowerDirector) the computer thinks that when I click something I am actually dragging, and I can't release the drag...
I have a new Lenovo AIO that came with Windows 10. From the start, it successfully detected a second monitor connected by HDMI. Yesterday I disconnected the second monitor in order to move to a new location. Now Windows is not detecting the...
Since I upgraded from 7 to 10 my Vistablet has stopped working. I can use the tablet and operate my machine with it but it has no pressure sensitivity on any software, rendering it useless to me as an artist. I think the company has gone bust since...
Wacom pen malfunctioned in Drivers and Hardware
I just upgraded my Asus VivoTab Note 8 to 32-bit Windows 10 Home from Windows 8.1. Everything seems to work fine except the Wacom pen that is not working at all. The driver in device manager states working correctly. Can someone advise any...
Source Not sure how many of you listen to online music on sites like Panda, Spotify, etc., but it would appear Apple is looking to bring down that ideal. When Panda first came out I jumped on that wagon, albeit over time I got away from it...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:41.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums