Windows 10: BIOS Detecting HDD, not appearing in Boot Manager

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    28 Aug 2016 #1

    BIOS Detecting HDD, not appearing in Boot Manager


    I was working on my laptop (Lenovo G505s, AMD A10, 10gb Ram, 1Tb HDD, Win 10 edu), suddenly I got a Blue screen error and Windows started collecting data regarding teh error. It went till 100% and got stuck there, after some time the screen started getting distorted, black horizontal lines started coming on screen. I power offed the PC using the power button.

    After that I am not able to boot in to my PC. My HDD is being detected in BIOS, I can read the contents if I connect it via a SATA to USB adapter on a Windows PC (But not on an UBUNTU PC) but my HDD is not shown in the boot manager. I am getting an error saying that "No Bootable Media Detected, Please Restart"

    I could start the PC using a USB Ubuntu, but couldn't access the drives (Got an error saying "the drives are locked, please resume windows and shutdown completely").

    Where is the problem in my PC? Is the hard disk gone? or BIOS? or Mother Board? (I am attaching the photos of the BIOS settings)

    Thanks for the help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20160828_135908794.jpg   IMG_20160828_135916082.jpg   IMG_20160828_135931272.jpg   IMG_20160828_135934906.jpg   IMG_20160828_135936810.jpg  

    IMG_20160828_135941940.jpg  
    Last edited by tsram90; 31 Aug 2016 at 01:27. Reason: Added Pics removed the zip file
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    28 Aug 2016 #2

    Sounds like you HDD has crashed.

    I'd connect the HDD as you stated above with USB/SATA adapter and backup all your data you want to keep. Then run the diagnostic software from that HDD's maintenance download webpage....ie WD or Seagate, to confirm HDD status.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    28 Aug 2016 #3

    The Crash may have corrupted the MBR , did you try a Win10 Boot USB and do a Startup repair ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    30 Aug 2016 #4

    Kbird said: View Post
    The Crash may have corrupted the MBR , did you try a Win10 Boot USB and do a Startup repair ?
    Plankton said: View Post
    Sounds like you HDD has crashed.

    I'd connect the HDD as you stated above with USB/SATA adapter and backup all your data you want to keep. Then run the diagnostic software from that HDD's maintenance download webpage....ie WD or Seagate, to confirm HDD status.

    My drive is by SAMSUNG, which is now run by Seagate. I downloaded the troubleshooter and disk checker for my drive.
    In a short drive self test I got a error and I was asked to run the Long Generic Test. I ran both Short Generic Test and Long Generic Test, then again ran the short drive self test, none of these cases gave any error.

    I have backed up all the data using a SATA to USB cable, and used the windows drive checker, which also didn't gave any errors.
    I used a windows USB to try the startup repair, but I got a error that "Windows Startup Repair could not start"

    I also tried connecting the drive via USB to check whether any damage to builtin SATA is there, sill nothing.

    What Should I do? What would be the problem in this case?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    30 Aug 2016 #5

    You should post the Bios Pics in the Thread , alot of people won't download files from people they don't know , too many virus's and Malware these days.

    So you ran CHKDSK on the HDD ?

    I would do a manual startup Repair via the Command Prompt

    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair...rd-mbr-windows

    or Use a Macrium Reflect BootDisk (or USB) and their "Fix Windows Boot Problems" which should find the installed version of Windows and then fix the MBR/Boot etc . (What is does depends on MBR disk or GPT Disk)

    Fix Boot Problems

    KB
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    31 Aug 2016 #6

    Kbird said: View Post
    You should post the Bios Pics in the Thread , alot of people won't download files from people they don't know , too many virus's and Malware these days.

    B
    That was the logical thing to do, and I initially tried that. But somehow the pictures are not getting uploaded for me. It shows upload is 100%, but the pics are not appearing in the screen.

    Kbird said: View Post
    You should post the Bios Pics in the Thread , alot of people won't download files from people they don't know , too many virus's and Malware these days.

    So you ran CHKDSK on the HDD ?

    I would do a manual startup Repair via the Command Prompt

    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair...rd-mbr-windows

    or Use a Macrium Reflect BootDisk (or USB) and their "Fix Windows Boot Problems" which should find the installed version of Windows and then fix the MBR/Boot etc . (What is does depends on MBR disk or GPT Disk)

    Fix Boot Problems

    KB
    I did CHKDSK, and it returned no errors.

    I will try the methods you suggested and get back.

    Thanks
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    31 Aug 2016 #7

    Most pics I just copy and paste into the quick reply window , it auto resizes them after a few seconds , I only use the advanced window when i want to attach a PDF for example. And after you upload them you need to select them in the upload window and click insert inline...

    KB
    Last edited by Kbird; 03 Sep 2016 at 13:32.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    31 Aug 2016 #8

    Hello all,

    i tried the manual repair option, I got the following.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160831_183548045.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	99115.

    I also tried to do a reinstall of windows, just in case to check. I couldn't install Windows on any of the drives, I got the following error. I am not sure what the error is, But I haven't done any formatting recently. I had upgraded from windows 7 directly. Why am I getting this error? Is it related to the boot error?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160831_185751673.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	147.9 KB 
ID:	99119
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    31 Aug 2016 #9

    I see you fixed the photos

    Your bios is in UEFI Mode , and on most laptops i have seen you need to disable Secure Boot to boot from USB or CD or use the Boot Menu/Manager. It says secure boot is Enabled but it says Secure Boot status is Disabled , so not sure what is going on there.

    did you change any settings in the Bios ? I am surprised Win7 was on UEFI if not.

    looking at the last Pic it says you now have 1TB (1000mb) of unallocated space so it looks like you wiped the HDD after the Manual Startup Repair didn't work..... is that right? So all your Data is gone ? , it is a 1TB HDD you have right?

    If you have wiped your data by accident and need it back , dont do any more until you recover the Windows' Partition 1st using Minitool Partition wizard Free's Bootdisk/USB.

    Setup appears to see the disk though which is good news but where you trying to install Win7 again or Win 10 again. Win7 will have UEFI Errors but Win10 shouldn't , see this Dell writeup

    Use of DiskPart to Clean the HDD/SSD – The Unofficial Windows 10 Reinstallation Guide

    you may need to use Diskpart from the Command Prompt to Clean the disk before installing Win 10 again too

    Use of DiskPart to Clean the HDD/SSD – The Unofficial Windows 10 Reinstallation Guide
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    31 Aug 2016 #10

    Kbird said: View Post
    I see you fixed the photos

    Your bios is in UEFI Mode , and on most laptops i have seen you need to disable Secure Boot to boot from USB or CD or use the Boot Menu/Manager. It says secure boot is Enabled but it says Secure Boot status is Disabled , so not sure what is going on there.

    did you change any settings in the Bios ? I am surprised Win7 was on UEFI if not.
    When the lap crashed, a played around with teh BIOS settings, and Now I don't remember what was the original one.
    Secure boot status was the same, I didn't touch it. I don't know what's up with that.

    As for my Windows, I first installed windows 10 with win 7, tried it out. Once I was satisfied, I upgraded win 7 to 10, and then later removed one of the win 10. I don't remember which one.

    Kbird said: View Post
    looking at the last Pic it says you now have 1TB (1000mb) of unallocated space so it looks like you wiped the HDD after the Manual Startup Repair didn't work..... is that right? So all your Data is gone ? , it is a 1TB HDD you have right?

    If you have wiped your data by accident and need it back , dont do any more until you recover the Windows' Partition 1st using Minitool Partition wizard Free's Bootdisk/USB.

    Setup appears to see the disk though which is good news but where you trying to install Win7 again or Win 10 again. Win7 will have UEFI Errors but Win10 shouldn't , see this Dell writeup

    Use of DiskPart to Clean the HDD/SSD – The Unofficial Windows 10 Reinstallation Guide

    you may need to use Diskpart from the Command Prompt to Clean the disk before installing Win 10 again too

    Use of DiskPart to Clean the HDD/SSD – The Unofficial Windows 10 Reinstallation Guide

    It is 1000mb, (1 Gb) my other partitions are under the error windows. I have backed up my whole HDD (1 Tb) but I haven't removed any data. The 1 Gb unallocated space was there when I installed Windows,. I didn't format it because I didn't want a 1 gb drive. ( It was at the start of the drive so I couldn't extend it o any other drives.)

    I am trying to reinstall windows 10. If I format my whole drive and start fresh, will things start working?
    The initial problems started while working in a Win 10 environment. Not during boot.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
I need to put the Windows OS, that means Windows Boot Manager in BIOS at Boot option 2, but in this case it does not boot. I need to put at boot position 1 PXE boot and if that fails boot from Boot option 2 (Windows). How could I do that? My...
Hallo first post here; I have a Linx 8 tablet running Windows 10, and despite several hours of web/forum trawling I cannot access my BIOS settings to view my boot manager, either through the Settings/Restart method, or in Safe Mode. I can get to a...
Hello, i was playing with disc partitions and i accidentally deleted something... The problem is, that when i start my computer, Windows boot manager error appears (with no options, nothing, just some text about how should i reinstall / repair...),...
Migrated OS 8.1 from HDD to SSD . Migration software installed command line in bios "Boot Manager on Disk 1". If I do a format of SSD will bios revert to original without the reference to disk 1. I intend on doing a clean install of Windows 10...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:01.
Find Us