disable safely remove hardware icon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 48
    windows 10
       #1

    disable safely remove hardware icon


    is there a way to permanently disable that annoying icon?

    most of the posts i have read only says how to hide it...
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 12,412
    Win10 Version 21H2 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro
       #2

    Do you not use USB Thumb Drives or camera memory cards in a Reader? That feature is for data protection, keeps one from prematurely removing those type drives which is pretty much guarantee to corrupt either the file Windows or programs is working with or corrupting the whole drive. In comparison to the problems that could be caused having the icon is quite minor.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 48
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    i use 2x usb nano flashdrives... been using them for about 3 years without using the icon.. is there a way to disable it?
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 8,612
    Mac OS Catalina
       #4

    todd24 said:
    i use 2x usb nano flashdrives... been using them for about 3 years without using the icon.. is there a way to disable it?
    No there is not. Just hide it like everyone else does.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 17,831
    Windows 10
       #5

    todd24 said:
    i use 2x usb nano flashdrives... been using them for about 3 years without using the icon.. is there a way to disable it?
    Save this as a .bat file and run it, you'll also need to put a copy of it in your Startup Folder or the icon will return every restart.

    Code:
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\SysTray" /v "Services" /t reg_dword /d 29 /f
    systray
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 720
    Win10 x64 Pro - 2 desktops, 2 laptops
       #6

    I'm a bit puzzled by this thread. Something tells me I'm missing something basic here. I'm not going to have any answer for any question asked in this thread, but I would at least like to understand what is being discussed.

    I've heard of disabling a task, service, etc. but not disabling an icon. Hide the icon, yes, but not disable it. Do you want to disable the function invoked by the icon? Not a good idea if you even want to remove a device with cached data.

    Or are you saying that this icon sometimes pops up unbidden and you want to prevent that? If that's the case, I would wonder what prompts it to be displayed.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 8,612
    Mac OS Catalina
       #7

    Yes the icons for system services will come back when Microsoft pushes an update that can fix security risks or removes old code from the OS. The icon takes up maybe a bit or two sitting on the task area doing nothing. If you are looking at increasing available memory by thinking that disabling services can help, you are talking maybe 15 meg at most, which is going to be nothing.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 17,831
    Windows 10
       #8

    pokeefe0001 said:
    I'm a bit puzzled by this thread. Something tells me I'm missing something basic here. I'm not going to have any answer for any question asked in this thread, but I would at least like to understand what is being discussed.

    I've heard of disabling a task, service, etc. but not disabling an icon. Hide the icon, yes, but not disable it. Do you want to disable the function invoked by the icon? Not a good idea if you even want to remove a device with cached data.

    Or are you saying that this icon sometimes pops up unbidden and you want to prevent that? If that's the case, I would wonder what prompts it to be displayed.
    As flash drives are configured for 'Quick Removal, by default, I think the OP simply wants to get rid of the icon using up 'real estate' in their system tray.

    disable safely remove hardware icon-000297.png
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 720
    Win10 x64 Pro - 2 desktops, 2 laptops
       #9

    Edwin said:
    As flash drives are configured for 'Quick Removal, by default, I think the OP simply wants to get rid of the icon using up 'real estate' in their system tray. disable safely remove hardware icon-000297.png
    Which can easily be done by just not displaying it. I guess I don't see the problem.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 8,612
    Mac OS Catalina
       #10

    pokeefe0001 said:
    Which can easily be done by just not displaying it. I guess I don't see the problem.
    Totally agreed. Make them disappear and no harm. I had one person who would hide the clock, so that they did not sit there and clock watch when waiting for work to be pushed out to be worked on.

    I have zero task bars showing on my Macbook. I found that it is a lot cleaner and that if I need to check on something, it is slide the cursor up. I got so used to having the taskbar showing with Windows and Linux GUI's, that just making one simple change like this, has made me into a believer that more real estate is always better. Especially if you are working in full screen mode with apps.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums