1.    27 Aug 2016 #1
    Join Date : Jul 2016
    Posts : 12
    Windows 10

    Have to safely eject thumb drive exactly twice every time


    This amounts to an annoyance only, but I thought I'd ask in case someone has a solution.
    I find I always have to eject my thumb drive exactly twice.

    • This happens on at least two laptops:
      • A Toshiba Satellite with Windows 10 Home 10586.545
      • An Asus X555LA also on the same build of Windows

    • Most often I'm using a Cruzer SanDisk drive.
    • This is when I use “Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media” from the task bar.
    • It always takes exactly two tries. First time get a pop up window “Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device” “Windows is unable to stop the device…” Second time works fine. Even when I do it immediately after the first.
    • This happens when all docs involving the thumb drive and the apps that used them are all closed.
    • It happens if I plug in the drive, don't do anything, then try to eject.
    • Waiting before ejecting doesn’t seem to matter.
    • In Task Manager I verified no associated apps running then tried it. Don’t know if there are pertinent background apps.
    • If I right click on the drive in the File Explorer tree and select eject it works the first time.
    • Another thumb drive, Attache 1GB, behaves the same way.
    • Another thumb drive, Kingston 2 GB, behaves the same way.
    • I think this happened on at least one of my computers before the Windows 10 upgrade, but I don’t remember the details.
    • For the SanDisk at least, select in File Explorer, right click, Properties, Hardware tab, Properties, Change Settings, Policies: Quick Removal is selected.


    Does anyone have a fix? Thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    27 Aug 2016 #2
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Forever West
    Posts : 3,913
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, Win7 Home, Linux Mint

    Only thing I can think of, and seen happen, is the mouse click is not properly registering. Maybe a setting in Control Panel, Mouse needs looking at?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    29 Aug 2016 #3
    Join Date : Jul 2016
    Posts : 12
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Only thing I can think of, and seen happen, is the mouse click is not properly registering. Maybe a setting in Control Panel, Mouse needs looking at?
    I'll check it, but my mouse works fine otherwise.
    Thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    30 Aug 2016 #4
    Join Date : Jun 2016
    Posts : 1,462
    Win10 1607

    Quote Originally Posted by billcz View Post
    This amounts to an annoyance only, but I thought I'd ask in case someone has a solution.
    I find I always have to eject my thumb drive exactly twice.

    • This happens on at least two laptops:
      • A Toshiba Satellite with Windows 10 Home 10586.545
      • An Asus X555LA also on the same build of Windows

    • Most often I'm using a Cruzer SanDisk drive.
    • This is when I use “Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media” from the task bar.
    • It always takes exactly two tries. First time get a pop up window “Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device” “Windows is unable to stop the device…” Second time works fine. Even when I do it immediately after the first.
    • This happens when all docs involving the thumb drive and the apps that used them are all closed.
    • It happens if I plug in the drive, don't do anything, then try to eject.
    • Waiting before ejecting doesn’t seem to matter.
    • In Task Manager I verified no associated apps running then tried it. Don’t know if there are pertinent background apps.
    • If I right click on the drive in the File Explorer tree and select eject it works the first time.
    • Another thumb drive, Attache 1GB, behaves the same way.
    • Another thumb drive, Kingston 2 GB, behaves the same way.
    • I think this happened on at least one of my computers before the Windows 10 upgrade, but I don’t remember the details.
    • For the SanDisk at least, select in File Explorer, right click, Properties, Hardware tab, Properties, Change Settings, Policies: Quick Removal is selected.


    Does anyone have a fix? Thanks.

    I see the same thing on .545 here , I just use File Explorer now instead....

    seems to work fine on AU.82 with the same drive though.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    13 Sep 2016 #5
    Join Date : Sep 2016
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10 Pro

    Same thing here


    Quote Originally Posted by billcz View Post
    This amounts to an annoyance only, but I thought I'd ask in case someone has a solution.
    I find I always have to eject my thumb drive exactly twice.

    • It always takes exactly two tries. First time get a pop up window “Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device” “Windows is unable to stop the device…” Second time works fine. Even when I do it immediately after the first.
    • This happens when all docs involving the thumb drive and the apps that used them are all closed.
    • It happens if I plug in the drive, don't do anything, then try to eject.
    • Waiting before ejecting doesn’t seem to matter.
    • If I right click on the drive in the File Explorer tree and select eject it works the first time.

    Does anyone have a fix? Thanks.
    I can verify exactly the same behavior on at least two different Dell Optiplex desktops running a Windows 10 Pro upgrade from Windows 7 Pro. I'd love to read an actual answer here. It's got nothing to do with bad mouse clicks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    14 Sep 2016 #6
    Join Date : Jun 2016
    Posts : 1,462
    Win10 1607

    1511 .898 update today did not fix it here.... but my Computer on AU.187 ? has no issues
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    14 Sep 2016 #7
    Join Date : Sep 2016
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Kbird View Post
    1511 .898 update today did not fix it here.... but my Computer on AU.187 ? has no issues
    I'm sorry to be so ignorant, but what do "545," "AU.82," "AU.187" refer to? Are they versions of Windows, BIOS numbers, chipset numbers, or ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    14 Sep 2016 #8
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Forever West
    Posts : 3,913
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, Win7 Home, Linux Mint

    Quote Originally Posted by PastorSteve View Post
    I'm sorry to be so ignorant, but what do "545," "AU.82," "AU.187" refer to? Are they versions of Windows, BIOS numbers, chipset numbers, or ?
    That's what has happened with technology advances, shorten data so as to get it posted from various devices. The AU.187 [first time to see it posted that way] refers to Windows 10 Version 1607 Build 14393.187 which is the most current for the RTM/Released version of Windows. Version 1607 is the AU or Anniversary Update [since the Version number changed it's more of an Upgrade].
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    14 Sep 2016 #9
    Join Date : Jun 2016
    Posts : 1,462
    Win10 1607

    Quote Originally Posted by PastorSteve View Post
    I'm sorry to be so ignorant, but what do "545," "AU.82," "AU.187" refer to? Are they versions of Windows, BIOS numbers, chipset numbers, or ?
    HI PS , Berton has it correct , I was just being a bit lazy as the rest of the Number is the same for everyone, only the last 3 digits change for each upgrade. for each current version of Win10.

    You can easily get yours with Windows KEY+R >Type winver (enter key) and you will get a dialog box (a DBX)
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    14 Sep 2016 #10
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Forever West
    Posts : 3,913
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, Win7 Home, Linux Mint

    Quote Originally Posted by Kbird View Post
    the Number is the same for everyone, only the last 3 digits change for each upgrade. for each current version of Win10.
    True for the RTM/Released version, the Insider Preview build number is greater such as Version 1607 Build 14901.1000 [mine].
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Internal SSD shown in Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media
I have a problem with two of my SSD's showing up as removable and non internal when they're mounted inside my PC. One has my operating system on it so I'm hesitant to remove that one, but the other one only has games on it so I can use that for...
Drivers and Hardware
Solved Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media won't go away
My Hard Drive crapped the bed recently, it was 4 and a half years past warranty so it served more than its fair share of time :p But I grabbed a nice new Samsung 850 Evo SSD, reinstalled windows and all of my stuff (since the disk was in REALLY...
Installation and Upgrade
Solved BSOD while trying to Eject a USB Thumb Drive
I was trying to remove a USB Thumb Drive, and that's when it crashed. Also, when it booted back up after the crash, it said there was a problem with my antivirus. My antivirus is working though. If this crash pertains to a driver, please note that I...
BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Solved Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media...my video card???
Okay, a puzzler... My taskbar shows that I can "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media". Funny...I don't have anything plugged in. Selecting the message tells me that I can "Eject Nvidia GTX 970". Wouldn't that be odd? It's the friggin' video...
Graphic Cards
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:37.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums