Windows 10: Is it possible to use part of hard drive with storage spaces?

  1.    19 Aug 2016 #1

    Is it possible to use part of hard drive with storage spaces?


    I'm trying to create a storage pool for parity with 4 3TB drives and use 3TB of a 4TB drive that also has my OS.


    When I go to create the pool the 4 3TB drives show up but the unallocated space on the 4TB with my OS doesn't show up.

    I have done some research and heard that this might be possible but it seems to be a case-by-case situation.

    I'm running Windows 10 Home.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    19 Aug 2016 #2

    Hi there

    @donldmn

    Don't include the OS as part of a Storage space.

    Ideally use an SSD for the OS (cheap enough for a 120GB one -- plenty of space for programs and apps while keeping your whole Disk pool for the storage space.

    You "Might be" better off with that configuration of HDD's to think about using RAID (either software or better hardware with a reasonably cheap hardware RAID controller -- simply insert RAID card into a slot and connect HDD's to the controller).

    If you use a RAID controller - and if it allows 5 connections then you can also connect the SSD to it -- but create the SSD as a single logical drive in RAID 0 config. I would prefer though with an SSD to connect that directly to the mobo and just connect the other HDD's to the RAID controller.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    19 Aug 2016 #3

    Youse guys are way above my paygrade! You're high-end computer people!
    The only suggestion I have concerning backups:
    When at a moment peace and quiet reigns...PRETEND: that nothing software, OS-wise works, no internet, no internal HD boot, one or two of the internal HDs and/or one or two partitions within a particular internal HD - completely offline, computer posts but does not Windows boot at all, nothing normal is working.
    Like the fish in plastic bags in Finding Nemo -- What now? Exactly what are you going to do to restore your now non-working OS partition/OS software? Remember, nothing normal is working, no internet, no OS, posts but no boot, period. Again, what now?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    19 Aug 2016 #4

    Because I have faced several times, over the years, What Now?!?!, I have two usb external 1TB HDs dedicated to each of my three computers. Assuming no hardware failures at the time, I make at least one full image each of OS and data partitions onto each dedicated usb ext HD -- sometimes weekly, sometime bi-monthly, sometimes in rapid succession if critical changes were being made to Windows 7 Pro. Assuming no hardware failures, I have reached for one of the two usb ext HDs and restored my OS partition [and once yearly my Data partition] onto my desktop or onto one of my two laptops. The above is the only reliable methodology I have for: What now?!?!

    Hardware failure, like HD failure? Sure, I replace the HD, and then restore from my dedicated backups.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    19 Aug 2016 #5

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there

    @donldmn

    Don't include the OS as part of a Storage space.

    Ideally use an SSD for the OS (cheap enough for a 120GB one -- plenty of space for programs and apps while keeping your whole Disk pool for the storage space.

    You "Might be" better off with that configuration of HDD's to think about using RAID (either software or better hardware with a reasonably cheap hardware RAID controller -- simply insert RAID card into a slot and connect HDD's to the controller).

    If you use a RAID controller - and if it allows 5 connections then you can also connect the SSD to it -- but create the SSD as a single logical drive in RAID 0 config. I would prefer though with an SSD to connect that directly to the mobo and just connect the other HDD's to the RAID controller.

    Cheers
    jimbo

    I don't want to include the OS itself as part of the storage space. I just want to 1TB of the drive for the OS and 3TB for storage spaces. I was going to install the system on an SSD but my SSD died as I upgraded from Windows 10.

    My main goal now is to shove as much storage into my system as I can. My motherboard has 6 SATA connections and I added two SATA PCI-E cards to push it up to 10. I don't want to invest any more money and just use what I have laying around the house.

    Summary: OS drive is 4TB = 1TB OS + 3TB storage spaces

    RolandJS said: View Post
    Because I have faced several times, over the years, What Now?!?!, I have two usb external 1TB HDs dedicated to each of my three computers. Assuming no hardware failures at the time, I make at least one full image each of OS and data partitions onto each dedicated usb ext HD -- sometimes weekly, sometime bi-monthly, sometimes in rapid succession if critical changes were being made to Windows 7 Pro. Assuming no hardware failures, I have reached for one of the two usb ext HDs and restored my OS partition [and once yearly my Data partition] onto my desktop or onto one of my two laptops. The above is the only reliable methodology I have for: What now?!?!

    Hardware failure, like HD failure? Sure, I replace the HD, and then restore from my dedicated backups.
    I was thinking of mirroring the OS partition as a backup in case of any problems.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    20 Aug 2016 #6

    donldmn said: View Post
    ...I was thinking of mirroring the OS partition as a backup in case of any problems.
    Tell me more, I'm interested. I tried the cloning of HD0 onto HD1, I ran into Windows boot problems, so I converted over to making full images of HD0's OS and data partitions onto HD1, no more cloning. Is your mirroring the same as cloning? If yes, where would the clone reside?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Solved Storage spaces - My OS drive failed. in Drivers and Hardware
I have a small PC with 3 hard drives, 1 is the OS drive and the other 2 are in a drive pool using Storage Spaces. Now my OS drive has failed and my Macrium backup files are in the Drive Pool. I have a new drive for my OS. What is my best...
Hello. I'm trying to create a system image (Control Panel\System and Security\Backup and Restore (Windows 7) -> Create a system image), however my storage spaces drive is not listed in the available selection to save the image to. Why is that...
Solved Can't remove storage spaces drive in Drivers and Hardware
Something happened to one of the drives on my storage spaces pool. I can no longer see the files, so I tried to remove the storage space. This operation fails with the error: "The disk structure is corrupted an unreadable". There are also...
Solved Storage Spaces issues adding drive in Drivers and Hardware
I have a 4x 2TB drive storage pool setup with storage spaces under parity mostly used for movies/tv shows. I decided to buy 2 more 4TB drives and add them, but I only have space for 1 more at the moment (only 6 SATA connectors on my MB). After...
I had 3x 3TB drives in a parity pool. It started to fill up so i added a fourth 3TB drive and months later one of the original 3 began to fail on me. Performance was slow, then slower, then it showed disconnected. I retired the drive and added a...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:40.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums