How to stop windows downloading drivers automatically?


  1. Posts : 131
    Ver 1803
       #1

    How to stop windows downloading drivers automatically?


    Hi guys,

    I have, apparently identified the culprit for my abrupt restarts with automatic repair firing up.

    It's the radeon 8750m drivers. the second they begin to install BAM. shutdown+automatic repair.

    What's the most effective way to not install those drivers all together?
      My Computer

  2. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 58,439
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
       #2

    Hello Marko, :)

    You could use the tutorial below to disable having drivers available in Windows Update.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 131
    Ver 1803
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Brink said:
    Hello Marko, :)

    You could use the tutorial below to disable having drivers available in Windows Update.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html
    Detailed. Thanks

    I used wushoworhide and hid the radeon drivers. Does that do the trick?
    They still appear ready to be installed, which is something i do not want.
    Why does windows roll out drivers that mess your computer up?!
      My Computer

  4. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 58,439
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
       #4

    Uninstalling and hiding the update will work for that one, but won't stop a new version or other drivers from being available later.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8...dows-10-a.html
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 131
    Ver 1803
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Ok. Thanks for being a resource brink.

    So the registry fix will disable it all together for the time being?
    Whats the best way to have them not install at all, they are obviously corrupted or not performing on my system.


    I can't actually understand why would windows force you to update drivers that apparently do not function as intended and crash your PC instantly.
    Last edited by Marko1401; 15 Aug 2016 at 08:02.
      My Computer

  6. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 58,439
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
       #6

    Using the tutorial below to disable having drivers available in Windows Update should help.

    Driver Updates in Windows Update - Enable or Disable in Windows 10
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 131
    Ver 1803
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Brink said:
    Using the tutorial below to disable having drivers available in Windows Update should help.

    Driver Updates in Windows Update - Enable or Disable in Windows 10
    Hi brink, thanks.

    I used the reg file for the registry. Simple and effective.

    I will not stop windows updates right?
    My current winver is 1511 and it won't update to 1607....I see that 1607 is a bit more polished seeing as how I setup my desktop with that as an emergency, with the graph drivers causing a lot of problems for me.
      My Computer

  8. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 58,439
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
       #8

    Correct. It will not disable Windows Update.
      My Computers

  9. reddice's Avatar
    Posts : 615
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #9

    • Device manager.
    • Select on affected driver.
    • Right click or double click on device.
    • Select driver tab.
    • Update driver.
    • Browse my computer for driver software.
    • Let me pick from a list of device drivers.
    • Select the device driver you want to install.
    • Choose the driver that works from the list.
    • Ignore the stupid warning saying it might not work

    That is what I had to do to prevent that POS Realtek audio driver from installing all the time. It will no longer even update it when a newer version comes out.


      My Computer


  10. Posts : 131
    Ver 1803
    Thread Starter
       #10

    reddice said:
    • Device manager.
    • Select on affected driver.
    • Right click or double click on device.
    • Select driver tab.
    • Update driver.
    • Browse my computer for driver software.
    • Let me pick from a list of device drivers.
    • Select the device driver you want to install.
    • Choose the driver that works from the list.
    • Ignore the stupid warning saying it might not work

    That is what I had to do to prevent that POS Realtek audio driver from installing all the time. It will no longer even update it when a newer version comes out.
    Thanks. That's exactly what I did for my elan touch-pad (recognized as a ps2mouse initially) to make it work correctly.
    May apply to my radeon drivers.

    Although at present it is working ok - I even play pillars of eternity, a semi graphic intensive game without problems.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:58.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums