Okay @CountMike and @DooGie,
Today, I tried installing 7708 from 7707 and this time I have Revo Uninstaller v3.1.5 Portable.
1) I opened Revo Uninstaller and chose Uninstall and then Realtek HD Audio
2) It opened the Realtek uninstaller and uninstalled and I said No to reboot
3) Revo Uninstaller then asked to Scan for things that were remaining so I chose Advanced and hit scan and basically deleted what's listed in the images below:
4) I restarted after deleting the above selected and then after logging into windows, I ran the setup.exe which installed and rebooted.
5) Upon rebooting, I have sound, both device manager and Program and Features shows 7708 installed and device manager driver properties shows that this is the only driver on the system as all the other entries are greyed out:
6) There was no Realtek Sound Manager in the Start Menu or in Control Panel
At this point, I did the following:
1) tried updating the drivers with device manager which said I already have the latest drivers.
2) I opened Revo Uninstaller and chose Uninstall and then Realtek HD Audio
3) It opened the Realtek uninstaller and uninstalled and I said No to reboot
4) Revo Uninstaller then asked to Scan for things that were remaining so I chose Advanced and hit scan and it said it found nothing.
5) I deleted C:\Program Files (x86)\Realtek, C:\Program Files\Realtek and C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Realtek
6) I ran 7708's setup.exe which uninstalled, rebooted and then after logging in to Windows, the setup.exe when I select next, it goes into uninstaller mode which completed and I reboot as prompted.
7) I login to Windows and setup.exe runs again and if I selected next, it would do #6 so I selected cancel and then went to device manager which had all the options available on the screen while all the other options were available unlike the previous device manager properties screenshot. It shows 7571 as the current driver so I did the uninstall and chose delete driver files. then did not reboot as prompted, then I deleted C:\Program Files (x86)\Realtek, C:\Program Files\Realtek while C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Realtek did not exist and ran setup.exe from 7708 which installed the drivers. If I allowed it to reboot, it would just install 7571 on the next login after reboot from experience.
8) After rebooting, I login to Windows, sound works, both device manager and Programs & Features says 7708 is installed. Control Panel has Realtek Sound Manager but there is no Realtek Sound Manager in the Start Menu.
So that's my experience and can someone confirm if Reaktek still creates the Sound Manager in the start menu or not with 7707/7708?
@Zardoc, will give 7709 a try that just finished downloading as I am on a ASUS G74SX-3DE Notebook!
Went from 7708 to 7709 after writing the above.
1) Ran setup.exe from 7709 which uninstalled, then did not reboot as prompted, then I deleted C:\Program Files (x86)\Realtek, C:\Program Files\Realtek while C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Realtek did not exist.
2) rebooted and then after logging in to Windows, the setup.exe when I select next, does the installing of the drivers and rebooted when prompted.
3) I login to Windows, sound works, both device manager and Programs and Features shows 7709 as installed. I have Realtek Sound Manager in both Control Panel and the Start Menu.
Version 18.104.22.16809 is also available from the MS Update Catalog site for 32bit & 64bit Windows (note to Brink).
Gosh my DSL internet connection is a little flaky on 1/7/2016 but working better than yesterday when I had no internet connection at all almost the whole day (my family may have to call the DSL internet provider to fix the dsl line if the internet goes out at my house again).
I already updated to v7707 on several machines with Realtek audio, including my friend's custom built PC with an ASUS M57AL-M LE USB3 (2015) motherboard. On that one, the Realtek audio control panel UI is different as it says ASUS Realtek Sound Manager when I launch it.
Thank you Erpster. First post updated.
@ Almighty1 I tried uninstalling build 7708 using CCleaner uninstall. As you suspected it just runs the Realtek uninstaller which left all the registry junk behind.
I just installed 7712 which was very smooth with no problems. To my ears the sound using this build is up there with the best
i just installed the latest 7712 build, and still have the issue with the sound going suddenly very loud when i play stuff, even though the volume bar does not go up.
so tired of this issue, anyone have any insight ?