Page 190 of 201 FirstFirst ... 90140180188189190191192200 ... LastLast

  1. Joined : Oct 2015
    Posts : 1,390
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       3 Weeks Ago #1891

    Hi,

    That is assuming this clipping occurs in the digital domain.
    When it happens in the digital domain you'll hear a sudden silence during a fraction of a second as the chip is recovering.
    If you're recording in a studio, you can tell as it goes "tick" then nothing and then it goes on until the next stage saturates.
    What I heard was clearly in the analogue domain though. Gates saturating.

    When viewed on the monitor of a scope (or pc for that matter) is a sine wave with a flattened crest instead of a nicely rounded one. Hence the "clipping" metaphor.

    Electron tubes are known to clip much more gracefully than semi-conductors. Which is one reason (there are others) why lots of electric guitar players like valve amps to amplify the sound.

    Cheers,
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 2,084
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1607 (AE build 14393.693)
       3 Weeks Ago #1892

    fdegrove said: View Post
    Hi,

    That is assuming this clipping occurs in the digital domain.
    When it happens in the digital domain you'll hear a sudden silence during a fraction of a second as the chip is recovering.
    If you're recording in a studio, you can tell as it goes "tick" then nothing and then it goes on until the next stage saturates.
    What I heard was clearly in the analogue domain though. Gates saturating.

    When viewed on the monitor of a scope (or pc for that matter) is a sine wave with a flattened crest instead of a nicely rounded one. Hence the "clipping" metaphor.

    Electron tubes are known to clip much more gracefully than semi-conductors. Which is one reason (there are others) why lots of electric guitar players like valve amps to amplify the sound.

    Cheers,
    That's exactly what happens when the audio level (in the digital domain) is above the maximum. The sine wave becomes flat and this sounds like a square wave (robotic-metallic sound distorting the quality of the soundtrack). We are describing the same thing. The point is that this is the result of a faulty audio driver that operates the audio circuit incorrectly. When uninstalling the faulty driver and replacing it with a better version, the audio circuit is operated within specifications, the audio level is inside the circuit's capabilities without any clipping.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Mar 2015
    Stockport UK
    Posts : 1,231
    Wndows 10 x64 Home
       3 Weeks Ago #1893

    Think we are getting a bit off topic now
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Oct 2015
    Posts : 1,390
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       3 Weeks Ago #1894

    Hi,

    That's exactly what happens when the audio level (in the digital domain) is above the maximum. The sine wave becomes flat and this sounds like a square wave (robotic-metallic sound distorting the quality of the soundtrack). We are describing the same thing.
    Yes but for different reasons. Bitrate overflow, etc.

    Think we are getting a bit off topic now
    LOL. Nah, just way over your head, DooGie.

    But fair enough. I'll shut up.

    Cheers,
    Last edited by fdegrove; 3 Weeks Ago at 17:40.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Mar 2015
    Stockport UK
    Posts : 1,231
    Wndows 10 x64 Home
       3 Weeks Ago #1895

    [Think we are getting a bit off topic now /QUOTE]

    LOL. Nah, just way over your head, DooGie.

    But fair enough. I'll shut up.

    Cheers,

    I PM'd you Frank.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : May 2015
    Posts : 88
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64
       3 Weeks Ago #1896

    CountMike said: View Post
    Afraid we are stuck with Gigabyte version which is probably ugliest ever. I tried everything short of changing HW-id for motherboard and nothing helped. It's not only looks that are different but some functionality like equalizer are missing comparing to MSI and Asus for instance.

    well here's the ASUS version of the Realtek HD Audio manager control panel tool when I installed the R280 (8004) drivers on a friend's ASUS M5A78L-M LE USB3 motherboard:


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	asus-realtek-audio-cpl(m5a78l-m-le-usb3).png 
Views:	78 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	115378

    the ASUS M5A78L-M LE USB3 board is using Realtek ALC887 audio chipset using hardware ID "HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0887&SUBSYS_10438576" and the driver was installed thru the HDXRT4.INF file because that INF file mentioned that specific hardware device ID.

    edit: have you tried installing the drivers thru a different INF file, CountMike? maybe I could try installing the same drivers but thru a different INF file like HDXRT.INF instead of HDXRT4.INF for example. I delete the other INF files in the driver package because most of the time, the Realtek audio drivers are usually installed thru the HDXRT.INF file (except for certain realtek audio chips in certain name brand computers).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 6,972
    All kinds
       3 Weeks Ago #1897

    My MB uses ALC889 but I don't think it's Device ID for sound is what determines looks of control panel but HWid for MB which usually same as ACPI.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Mar 2015
    Stockport UK
    Posts : 1,231
    Wndows 10 x64 Home
       2 Weeks Ago #1898

    Still no new Realtek HD Audio driver up on the MUC yet.
    Apparently a lot of people are having problems with the latest build from Realtek 8023, possibly due to certain hardware configurations. So maybe Microsoft will skip this build.
    Having posted that it's more than likely it will appear on yhe MUC on Monday, my luck isn't in at the moment
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Apr 2015
    Posts : 148
    Windows 10
       2 Weeks Ago #1899

    erpster4 said: View Post
    ASUS M5A78L-M LE USB3 board is using Realtek ALC887 audio chipset using hardware ID "HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0887&SUBSYS_10438576" and the driver was installed thru the HDXRT4.INF file because that INF file mentioned that specific hardware device ID.
    CountMike said: View Post
    My MB uses ALC889 but I don't think it's Device ID for sound is what determines looks of control panel but HWid for MB which usually same as ACPI.
    fyi... My curiosity was piqued. Was it the h/w id of the mb or the audio chip that makes the difference? Curious and with some time to kill before the evening, I inspected the latest Realtek download for an answer. It's the audio chip h/w id! Discovered some more (I thought) interesting / useful stuff I thought to share. (Though it all makes sense now in retrospect but at least can now definitively state)

    Not surprisingly, separate folders for 32 vs 64-bit drivers. WIN32 folder contains 83 different INF files. WIN64 contains 94. I had a closer look at the content and differences between half dozen INFs i chose at random
    • Also not surprising, a single h/w id was found in two different INF files: one for 32, one for 64-bit installs (though given 83 vs 94 INF files, there must be some h/w ids only supported by 64 bit INFs.)
    • Searching within a single folder (i.e. 32 vs 64), showed each INF defined its own unique set of supported HD audio h/w ids

    Sticking to WIN64 folder for discussion:
    • The latest Realtek driver download is actually a collection of 94 different 64-bit driver file configurations (each defined by its own INF.) Each INF defines its own unique set of supported HDAUDIO h/w ids
    • The Realtek driver download is the union of all the driver files needed to support the sum total of all the INF configurations
    • Many driver files are common across INF files. Tho there are some distinct differences too where a file appears in one INF but not another
    • That means that while everyone appears to install the same "latest Realtek driver" Windows could be selecting any one of the many different INF files for the various PCs. Many driver files are common across all INFs. Some files distinctly different.
    • Would also be why there are some common problems and some people report distinctly different results with different PCs installing different driver file sets (could also be differences in registry setup, and services started as well)

    Below is a snapshot of a compare of the CopyFile section of two different INFs. You can see the file differences. Also note one INF includes Toshiba in its name. Other includes files with Yamaha in its name
    /* EDIT */
    Also worth noting that all the different INFs install showing the same Realtek driver version and date

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-12-31_161343.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	198.4 KB 
ID:	115473
    Last edited by ComputerGeek; 2 Weeks Ago at 18:19.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 2,084
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1607 (AE build 14393.693)
       2 Weeks Ago #1900

    ComputerGeek said: View Post
    fyi... My curiosity was piqued. Was it the h/w id of the mb or the audio chip that makes the difference? Curious and with some time to kill before the evening, I inspected the latest Realtek download for an answer. It's the audio chip h/w id! Discovered some more (I thought) interesting / useful stuff I thought to share. (Though it all makes sense now in retrospect but at least can now definitively state)Not surprisingly, separate folders for 32 vs 64-bit drivers. WIN32 folder contains 83 different INF files. WIN64 contains 94. I had a closer look at the content and differences between half dozen INFs i chose at random
    • Also not surprising, a single h/w id was found in two different INF files: one for 32, one for 64-bit installs (though given 83 vs 94 INF files, there must be some h/w ids only supported by 64 bit INFs.)
    • Searching within a single folder (i.e. 32 vs 64), showed each INF defined its own unique set of supported HD audio h/w ids

    Sticking to WIN64 folder for discussion:
    • The latest Realtek driver download is actually a collection of 94 different 64-bit driver file configurations (each defined by its own INF.) Each INF defines its own unique set of supported HDAUDIO h/w ids
    • The Realtek driver download is the union of all the driver files needed to support the sum total of all the INF configurations
    • Many driver files are common across INF files. Tho there are some distinct differences too where a file appears in one INF but not another
    • That means that while everyone appears to install the same "latest Realtek driver" Windows could be selecting any one of the many different INF files for the various PCs. Many driver files are common across all INFs. Some files distinctly different.
    • Would also be why there are some common problems and some people report distinctly different results with different PCs installing different driver file sets (could also be differences in registry setup, and services started as well)

    Below is a snapshot of a compare of the CopyFile section of two different INFs. You can see the file differences. Also note one INF includes Toshiba in its name. Other includes files with Yamaha in its name/* EDIT */Also worth noting that all the different INFs install showing the same Realtek driver version and dateClick image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-12-31_161343.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	198.4 KB 
ID:	115473
    In that case you can isolate the INF file with the hardware ID that has the most software (while being compatible with your audio hardware) and force-install this specific driver by manually replacing the driver in Device Manager. Windows will warn you that the driver might not be compatible with the device, you just ignore this warning and proceed. If the driver is indeed compatible with your device after a restart you should have a working audio device and all the settings enabled! If it is not compatible you either play a sound and you hear nothing or the device has a yellow ! in the Device Manager with error 10 (Device cannot start). In that case try a different driver.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
realtek driver tweaked in windows 7 - will the new win 10 driver ...
Hello : I have my realtek driver tweaked in windows 7 , I have it set in the registry to have 2 outputs , instead of one - will the new win 10 driver be able to be adjusted ... Thanks
Drivers and Hardware
Realtek HD Audio audio output speaker issue on Windows 10 RTM 10240
Hello Everyone. I have a Jabra bluetooth speaker (the Solemate Mini). On Windows 8.1 I plug it in to my laptop using the 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable and then, when I watch a movie, it correctly outputs to the speaker and does not use my laptop speakers....
Drivers and Hardware
New RealTek HD Audio Driver available in WU
New RealTek HD Audio Driver available in WU. 18634
Drivers and Hardware
Solved Need audio driver for VIA VT1708S onboard audio.
My ASUS M4N68T-M V2 has a VIA VT1708S onboard audio. The driver I have that worked in Windows 8.1 v10_1200a won't work in 10. Windows doesn't even see the onboard video so it doesn't even look for a driver. It doesn't show up in device manager. In...
Drivers and Hardware
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:37.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums