1. Joined : Jun 2015
    Posts : 224
    Win10 Pro x64
       05 Aug 2016 #1

    AU-My External is now "Unallocated Space"


    I clean installed the anniversary update on my desktop. I have a 32GB flash drive that works fine (Autoplay, Disk Management, This PC). However, my External 750GB Toshiba HDD shows absolutely nothing. No Autoplay, it doesn't show up in This PC, and looking in Disk Management it just shows the whole drive as unallocated space (So i can't just assign it a drive letter and go). However if I plug it into my laptop which is still running 1511, it shows up fine and I can see everything I have on it. So this is one of those few times where I am at a loss as to what I can do to fix this?

    I mean I guess for now I can move files to the Flash Drive and then onto my desktop if I absolutely need them but that is going to get old fast :P
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.    05 Aug 2016 #2

    Do you have access to another drive you can plug into the caddy? If so, you can use it to determine if the problem is with the drive, or with the caddy itself. From your symptoms, it's possible there might be a driver issue on your desktop machine in accessing the caddy. If, however, another drive comes up OK, then the issue may be with the drive. In that case, you could try copying the data from the problem drive to a working drive and keep rolling forward that way, if no easy diagnosis/fix is available to figure out what's wrong with the access from the desktop to the Toshiba 750 GB drive.
    Windows can be vexing at times -- and this sounds like one of those times -- but you can almost always find a workaround (good) or a fix (better) if you keep at it.
    Good luck!
    --Ed--
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Jul 2016
    Posts : 164
    Pro x64 Desktop v1607 14393.51, Home x64 Laptop v1607 14393.51
       05 Aug 2016 #3

    With the Toshiba unplugged, you can try to access device manager> select show hidden devices> and delete the old (greyed-out) Toshiba appearances there. There should be one appearance in portable devices and one in the USB section that are greyed-out. Once done, try plugging it back in to see if it might be properly rediscovered.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4.    05 Aug 2016 #4

    Good suggestion, Aardvark: if it is a corrupted driver, that should fix the problem.
    --Ed--
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Jul 2016
    Posts : 13
    Windows 10
       05 Aug 2016 #5

    its seems im not alone

    HDD undetected Bug in 1607 still appear, perfectly fine on 1151

    1151 perfectly fine HDD

    Attachment 94231

    1607 bugged hdd dissapear ISSUE


    Attachment 94232

    RIP anniv update
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Jun 2015
    Posts : 224
    Win10 Pro x64
       05 Aug 2016 #6

    EdTittel said: View Post
    Do you have access to another drive you can plug into the caddy? If so, you can use it to determine if the problem is with the drive, or with the caddy itself. From your symptoms, it's possible there might be a driver issue on your desktop machine in accessing the caddy. If, however, another drive comes up OK, then the issue may be with the drive. In that case, you could try copying the data from the problem drive to a working drive and keep rolling forward that way, if no easy diagnosis/fix is available to figure out what's wrong with the access from the desktop to the Toshiba 750 GB drive.
    Windows can be vexing at times -- and this sounds like one of those times -- but you can almost always find a workaround (good) or a fix (better) if you keep at it.
    Good luck!
    --Ed--
    I highly doubt there is a problem with the drive. If there was, it wouldn't have worked on the desktop before I installed 1607, and it wouldn't still work on my laptop right now. (I literally JUST moved some files over to the 32GB sandisk, then moved them from there to the desktop.

    aardvark said: View Post
    With the Toshiba unplugged, you can try to access device manager> select show hidden devices> and delete the old (greyed-out) Toshiba appearances there. There should be one appearance in portable devices and one in the USB section that are greyed-out. Once done, try plugging it back in to see if it might be properly rediscovered.
    I gave that a try, no dice. What is interesting is that the driver it uses is the one packaged with 1607:

    So I'm gonna go ahead and say Microsoft botched the driver
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Jun 2015
    Posts : 224
    Win10 Pro x64
       05 Aug 2016 #7

    This problem is all over the place (I've been searching around for a while now, technet, reddit, techradar, tomshardware, etc), I guess we just have to wait for microsoft to push a fix. IN the mean time I'm glad I haven't bumped my laptop up to the AU yet
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Jul 2016
    Posts : 164
    Pro x64 Desktop v1607 14393.51, Home x64 Laptop v1607 14393.51
       05 Aug 2016 #8

    For the record, I have a Samsung 840 EVO SSD plugged into a USB3 caddy and it works using the same driver as yours. Is your drive in question one of those specialized Toshiba Canvios by chance? Or is it a standard hard drive?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Jun 2015
    Posts : 224
    Win10 Pro x64
       05 Aug 2016 #9

    aardvark said: View Post
    For the record, I have a Samsung 840 EVO SSD plugged into a USB3 caddy and it works using the same driver as yours. Is your drive in question one of those specialized Toshiba Canvios by chance? Or is it a standard hard drive?
    Just a standard Hard Drive. And from reading various articles around the web it is really hit and miss (Some drives work, Some drives are seen and have a drive letter but don't work, Some drives like mine are just unallocated space until plugged into a 7/8/8.1/10-1511 machine).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Jul 2016
    Posts : 164
    Pro x64 Desktop v1607 14393.51, Home x64 Laptop v1607 14393.51
       05 Aug 2016 #10

    Carsomyr said: View Post
    Just a standard Hard Drive. And from reading various articles around the web it is really hit and miss (Some drives work, Some drives are seen and have a drive letter but don't work, Some drives like mine are just unallocated space until plugged into a 7/8/8.1/10-1511 machine).
    Sure seems that way. Good luck with your issue!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Reallocate Space to C: Drive. "Extend Volume" Button Greyed Out.
So my C: Drive has been acting up lately, with barely enough space to stay alive. I tried to take some space off the D: Drive, which has 240 GB of unused space, and add it to the C: Drive using Disk Management. But when I shrink the D: Drive and...
General Support
Solved Unable to create or save files in "Documents" and "Pictures" folders
Hi, as with many I have upgraded to Windows 10 today and it is going well except for the fact I am unable to save any files or create new ones in the Documents and Pictures folders or any sub-folders within these folders, and I have no idea why it...
General Support
Why did windows 10 create a "File History" folder on my External HDD
When I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 the experience seemed to be good. I am having my doubts now. I am confused concerning the following two issues. 1. It seems now that I am not recognized as the administrator of this PC. I am the only user, I am...
Performance & Maintenance
Solved fix unallocated space mistake
My daughter asked me to do a fresh install of win 10 on her win7 Samsung laptop but I installed it in the unallocated space without pressing the new button which I now know sets primary and system partitions. I then transferred all her data, music,...
Installation and Setup
Solved delete "saved password" and "form data" from microsoft edge manually
Hello how can I delete "saved password" and "form data" of microsoft edge manually ?! after too much search in google .... I trid to delete some value of the following registry address HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local...
Browsers and Email
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:19.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums