Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    05 Aug 2016 #1
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    Posts : 11
    Windows 10

    Hard drive in a caddy causing boot problems


    Hi.

    I recently installed a fresh Windows 10 Home on my laptop. I was having some problems and so I made a post on this forum. That post can be seen following this link: Factory reset laptop that has had an upgrade to SSD by cloning old HD
    That has been solved in a weird way. Basically I had to remove my secondary HD which I had in a caddy connecting where my CD drive used to be.

    Now I am having a problem with the secondary hard drive. If I leave it out then I can boot the computer and everything works fine. When I insert the caddy (by shutting down the computer first, of course) and then boot the computer, it gets stuck on a loading screen with the small Windows logo and swirling loading dots on a black background. It stays like that until the computer eventually decides to sleep. Something like 30 minutes.

    In the bios both of the hard drives are registered and I can see them in the boot options.

    I have also tried to connect the hard drive which is in the caddy to the computer using an external enclosure and then it shows one of the partition as being something like 30GB (should be around 300GB) and the other partition shows up but is unreachable.

    I am clueless as to why this is happening.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    05 Aug 2016 #2
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,187
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Which disk is set as first boot device in the BIOS ?
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    05 Aug 2016 #3
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    Posts : 648

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Which disk is set as first boot device in the BIOS ?
    Also, check through disk management to see if more than one partition is Active, meaning: does each drive have an Active partition? If so, one must be marked nonActive.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    05 Aug 2016 #4
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,148
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by simmisj View Post
    I have also tried to connect the hard drive which is in the caddy to the computer using an external enclosure and then it shows one of the partition as being something like 30GB (should be around 300GB) and the other partition shows up but is unreachable.
    Sounds like something has corrupted the second hard drive. Using the external enclosure you might want to try data recovery software if you want to try to save the data on the hard drive. Otherwise you a program like MiniTool Partition Wizard to rebuild the MBR and, if needed, delete the existing partitions and create new ones.

    MiniTool has both data recovery and partitioning software:
    MiniTool Solutions | Best Partition Manager & Data Recovery [Software]
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    05 Aug 2016 #5
    Join Date : Jul 2016
    Posts : 164
    Pro x64 Desktop v1607 14393.51, Home x64 Laptop v1607 14393.51

    Seems like using the Diskpart "clean" option on that HD and then formatting it as a simple NTFS volume might work.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    05 Aug 2016 #6
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    Posts : 11
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Which disk is set as first boot device in the BIOS ?
    The SSD is set as the first boot device. I also tried to override the boot order inside the BIOS using the SSD. Meaning it boots straight from BIOS using the device you selected. To no avail.

    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Also, check through disk management to see if more than one partition is Active, meaning: does each drive have an Active partition? If so, one must be marked nonActive.
    Disk management refuses to list the disk.

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Sounds like something has corrupted the second hard drive. Using the external enclosure you might want to try data recovery software if you want to try to save the data on the hard drive. Otherwise you a program like MiniTool Partition Wizard to rebuild the MBR and, if needed, delete the existing partitions and create new ones.

    MiniTool has both data recovery and partitioning software:
    MiniTool Solutions | Best Partition Manager & Data Recovery [Software]
    MiniTool actually lists everything correctly. Great! I can see all the partitions and I can browse the file and folder structure but I can not copy anything.

    I forgot to mention that it is not critical that I get the files from this disk but I would like to try.

    So how do I use this MiniTool to grab the files I want before formatting the whole disk? I can not see how it is done.

    In file explorer I can see E but not F. My data that I would like to grab is on F.

    BTW. When I keep this disk plugged in using my external enclosure the computer starts to freeze when file system operations are done. I just tried to copy some files to desktop, then create a folder on the desktop, then create a folder in C:\. Nothing happened. I unplugged the hard drive and BOOM all the operations I issued before completed in an instance.

    Here are some pictures:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	devicesanddrives.PNG 
Views:	2 
Size:	5.1 KB 
ID:	94272Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Partitions.PNG 
Views:	14 
Size:	211.6 KB 
ID:	94273



      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    05 Aug 2016 #7
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,148
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by simmisj View Post
    MiniTool actually lists everything correctly. Great! I can see all the partitions and I can browse the file and folder structure but I can not copy anything.
    I would try MiniTool's recovery program instead of Partition Wizard.
    MiniToll Free Data Recovery Software | Power Data Recovery Free
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    06 Aug 2016 #8
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    UK
    Posts : 1,897
    Windows 10 Home x64 (Laptop), Windows 10 Pro x64 (Desktop)

    Quote Originally Posted by simmisj View Post
    Hi.

    I recently installed a fresh Windows 10 Home on my laptop. I was having some problems and so I made a post on this forum. That post can be seen following this link: Factory reset laptop that has had an upgrade to SSD by cloning old HD
    That has been solved in a weird way. Basically I had to remove my secondary HD which I had in a caddy connecting where my CD drive used to be.

    Now I am having a problem with the secondary hard drive. If I leave it out then I can boot the computer and everything works fine. When I insert the caddy (by shutting down the computer first, of course) and then boot the computer, it gets stuck on a loading screen with the small Windows logo and swirling loading dots on a black background. It stays like that until the computer eventually decides to sleep. Something like 30 minutes.

    In the bios both of the hard drives are registered and I can see them in the boot options.

    I have also tried to connect the hard drive which is in the caddy to the computer using an external enclosure and then it shows one of the partition as being something like 30GB (should be around 300GB) and the other partition shows up but is unreachable.

    I am clueless as to why this is happening.
    I had this problem due to having an active partition on the external drive. I suggest you use MiniTool Partition Wizard to check the partitions on your external drive and change any active partitions on that drive to inactive. You should only have one active partition on your system drive for a single boot PC.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    13 Aug 2016 #9
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    Posts : 11
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Sorry for the long absence. Had other matters to take care of.

    Anyways, I tried to set the harddrive as inactive but that did not work. EDIT: Well, I managed to set it to inactive, but, It still just hangs when I try to boot up from the SSD.
    I had the hard drive inside the computer when I installed fresh Windows 10 onto the SSD. Might that have done something to the hard drive?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    13 Aug 2016 #10
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,187
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by simmisj View Post
    Sorry for the long absence. Had other matters to take care of.

    Anyways, I tried to set the harddrive as inactive but that did not work. EDIT: Well, I managed to set it to inactive, but, It still just hangs when I try to boot up from the SSD.
    I had the hard drive inside the computer when I installed fresh Windows 10 onto the SSD. Might that have done something to the hard drive?
    Yes, some parts of system might have been installed on that drive too but that should have opposite effect, wouldn't be able to start without it.
    Are we looking at Drive 2 from EAsus picture ? If it is, looks like that that drive has all the partitions to run OS and which should be on drive 1 (BOOT drive).
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved USB Drive Caddy Throws Error During System Shutdown/Restart
Hey people! I've got an otherwise great dual SATA drive caddy, USB 3, made by ThermalTake, labeled SuperSpeed. It works just fine to let me use a single USB 3.0 cable to attach 1 or 2 drives to my system. My problem is that when I restart or shut...
Drivers and Hardware
Solved Computer tries to boot from CD-Rom before hard drive. A problem?
I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and now, whenever I restart my computer, it briefly gives a "Boot from CD-Rom" (or some such words to that effect) message, then gives a second message saying that it is now attempting to boot from the hard...
General Support
Problems with hard drive recognized
hello, im currently running windows 10 on a hp pavilion 23. and it works great and i really like it. but theres a problem im having. this morning while working in calibre, i suddenly got a blue screen with a error message of...
Drivers and Hardware
Unable to boot from Win 10 from hard drive
I recently obtained an HP pavilion desktop pc loaded with Windows 7 which I upgraded to 10. All was going well and everything loaded ok but was having problems with Edge so I decided to do a complete restore from the settings which it didn't...
General Support
Clean install on EFI computer causing boot problems
I had made a clean install of Windows 10 on an older computer without any issues. Then I tried to do a clean install on a newer EFI-based computer. I had trouble like many others once I tried to install to a GPT partition having booted from a USB...
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:21.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums