1. Joined : Aug 2015
    PA
    Posts : 19
    Windows 10 Home
       03 Aug 2016 #1

    Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)


    After installing Windows 10 anniversary update, I get the following error in the device manger: Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)

    Tried uninstalling and restarting PC. Reinstalled Windows made from media tool. Nothing fixed it. Did a google search and nothing has worked. No USB drivers on the PC maker's website.

    Any ideas?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Jul 2016
    Posts : 164
    Pro x64 Desktop v1607 14393.51, Home x64 Laptop v1607 14393.51
       03 Aug 2016 #2

    You can try going into device manager > select show hidden devices and delete all "inactive" usb device appearances. In my example below, there would be four. Once done, reboot and try your device again:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unrecognized.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	154.1 KB 
ID:	93993
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Aug 2015
    PA
    Posts : 19
    Windows 10 Home
       04 Aug 2016 #3

    Tried this and it didn't work. I am usually pretty good at figuring out these things, but I am stumped with this one.

    these
    aardvark said: View Post
    You can try going into device manager > select show hidden devices and delete all "inactive" usb device appearances. In my example below, there would be four. Once done, reboot and try your device again:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unrecognized.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	154.1 KB 
ID:	93993
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Jul 2016
    Posts : 164
    Pro x64 Desktop v1607 14393.51, Home x64 Laptop v1607 14393.51
       04 Aug 2016 #4

    You can also try turning off fast startup in your power options (if enabled).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Aug 2015
    PA
    Posts : 19
    Windows 10 Home
       04 Aug 2016 #5

    After trying everything else, I reinstalled Win 10 anniversary (for the 3rd time) and all is fine now. USB error gone.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Aug 2016
    Posts : 1
    Windows 10
       05 Aug 2016 #6

    I'm having the exact same problem since installing the Anniversary Update the other night. When you say you reinstalled Windows, do you mean you wiped the whole hard drive and completely started over? Because I definitely don't want to do that. Hopefully there's some other way of initiating a reinstall from within Windows 10 itself?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Aug 2015
    PA
    Posts : 19
    Windows 10 Home
       05 Aug 2016 #7

    GregP said: View Post
    I'm having the exact same problem since installing the Anniversary Update the other night. When you say you reinstalled Windows, do you mean you wiped the whole hard drive and completely started over? Because I definitely don't want to do that. Hopefully there's some other way of initiating a reinstall from within Windows 10 itself?

    Yes. I wiped out everything (twice) and started from scratch. I have all my data on another drive, so it's not so bad.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Nov 2016
    Posts : 1
    Windows 10
       01 Nov 2016 #8

    This one is my savior, thank you

    aardvark said: View Post
    You can try going into device manager > select show hidden devices and delete all "inactive" usb device appearances. In my example below, there would be four. Once done, reboot and try your device again:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unrecognized.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	154.1 KB 
ID:	93993
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
USB device descriptor failed
Most of the threads on this error are old, (2015) so I am starting a new one. I only notice it when I happen to be in the device manager. I have no problems with any of my connected USB devices (that I have observed). I have tried uninstalling...
Drivers and Hardware
Solved Unknown USB Device (device descriptor request failed)
Fresh install of Windows 10 and the last driver I need to sort out is the above. I believe it is my powered USB 3 hub to which I plug in my keyboard and mouse. Technically it is working but I don't like seeing yellow triangles on devices. So...
Drivers and Hardware
Unknown USB Device (Invalids Configuration Descriptor)
Windows 10 Home Hi, I just bought a new HDD today and freshly installed windows 10 and have ran into this problem: when I plug in my wireless XEOX Pro Analog Gamepad from Speedlink I get the "Unknown USB Device (Invalid Configuration Descriptor)"...
Drivers and Hardware
A request for the USB device descriptor failed
Hello I have a USB device (X.Vision PCDVB-3100) It work properly in Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 But now in Windows 10 when I connect it to USB port, The Windows give me this error: “Windows has stopped this device because it has reported...
Drivers and Hardware
emachines has an unknown pci device?
It was also unknown in 8.1 here are some pics https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-4tVSkontibA/VdYbCYhtsAI/AAAAAAAAJng/d90nLGBOlXo/s912-Ic42/P8202614_1.JPG I tried looking up this device, but found nothing to help me....
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:20.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums