Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Joined : Apr 2016
    Posts : 55
    Windows 10
       30 Jul 2016 #1

    Checking hard drive for errors


    Hello,

    I have a 3 yr old Samsung laptop which I thought was behaving properly. Today, Outlook froze and then as I tried to open other programs, each thing froze as well. I left it alone and things eventually sorted themselves out and the computer became functional again.

    I looked in Event Viewer and I am seeing a LOT of disk warnings and errors, going all the way back to March. That's as far back as it goes, to the date when I installed Windows 10. (Laptop came with Windows 8 installed, I upgraded to 8.1 and then to 10.) This is in Hard Disk 0, which contains Drive C and several recovery drives.

    The errors are mentioning ominous things such as "bad block", so the first thing I would like to do is actually see if the physical hard drive itself is failing. In looking at Settings, I see no indication that it is, it says the drive is healthy.

    I've seen reference to software called CrystalDisk, but I would like to be assured of a safe download site for that, or is there other software someone here can recommend?

    Thanks.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Apr 2015
    Posts : 9,154
    W10Prox64
       30 Jul 2016 #2

    Smiley1 said: View Post
    Hello,

    I have a 3 yr old Samsung laptop which I thought was behaving properly. Today, Outlook froze and then as I tried to open other programs, each thing froze as well. I left it alone and things eventually sorted themselves out and the computer became functional again.

    I looked in Event Viewer and I am seeing a LOT of disk warnings and errors, going all the way back to March. That's as far back as it goes, to the date when I installed Windows 10. (Laptop came with Windows 8 installed, I upgraded to 8.1 and then to 10.) This is in Hard Disk 0, which contains Drive C and several recovery drives.

    The errors are mentioning ominous things such as "bad block", so the first thing I would like to do is actually see if the physical hard drive itself is failing. In looking at Settings, I see no indication that it is, it says the drive is healthy.

    I've seen reference to software called CrystalDisk, but I would like to be assured of a safe download site for that, or is there other software someone here can recommend?

    Thanks.
    Hi.
    The first thing you should do is run CHKDSK on your drive.
    Drive Error Checking in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

    Then you can download and install PassMark DiskCheckup, to see the values of the SMART attributes. Let it run for a bit so the numbers can settle in.

    I've used Crystal Disk Info, and it's good, but it tends to install other garbage, so you have to be cautious.

    Finally, SeaTools is good for testing drives. Use the long test.
    SeaTools | Seagate
    http://www.seagate.com/files/staticf...-dos-guide.pdf

    Hope that helps.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Apr 2016
    Posts : 55
    Windows 10
       30 Jul 2016 #3

    Thank you.

    The first two options--Security and Maintenance and the Properties Drive Tools don't show any errors.

    I don't want to do anything other than look and report right now. Would doing Chkdsk from a command prompt just look and report only?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Apr 2015
    Posts : 9,154
    W10Prox64
       31 Jul 2016 #4

    Smiley1 said: View Post
    Thank you.

    The first two options--Security and Maintenance and the Properties Drive Tools don't show any errors.

    I don't want to do anything other than look and report right now. Would doing Chkdsk from a command prompt just look and report only?
    I would move on to DiskCheckup at this point.
    Let the program run for a while - at least 20 minutes, and "refresh" to see settled-in values. If any of the SMART attributes are moving, DiskCheckup will show them in red, with an estimated TEC (Threshold Exceed Date) listed. Then you can see if anything is failing, but not failed yet.

    EDIT: Is this a spinner or SSD?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Apr 2016
    Posts : 55
    Windows 10
       31 Jul 2016 #5

    I don't know if it's a spinner or SSD. How can I find that out?

    Edit:

    I went to the Optimize Drive setting and it lists all the drives as being "Hard Disk" drives. Does that mean SSD? Sorry if that's a silly question, I really know very little about hardware.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Apr 2015
    Posts : 9,154
    W10Prox64
       31 Jul 2016 #6

    Smiley1 said: View Post
    I don't know if it's a spinner or SSD. How can I find that out?

    Edit:

    I went to the Optimize Drive setting and it lists all the drives as being "Hard Disk" drives. Does that mean SSD? Sorry if that's a silly question, I really know very little about hardware.
    A "spinner" is a nickname for a mechanical drive - the platters spin and the head reads the data.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drive-mechanical-spinner.PNG 
Views:	15 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	93192

    A Solid State Drive is like flash memory - no moving parts. It is about the size of a 2.5" spinner that you find in laptops, as opposed to the 3.5" you find in desktops.

    Solid State vs. Hard Disk: Differences Between SSD and HDD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails drive-SSD.PNG  
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Apr 2015
    Posts : 9,154
    W10Prox64
       31 Jul 2016 #7

    Smiley1 said: View Post
    Thank you.

    The first two options--Security and Maintenance and the Properties Drive Tools don't show any errors.

    I don't want to do anything other than look and report right now. Would doing Chkdsk from a command prompt just look and report only?
    Performing CHKDSK at startup would attempt to repair the drive, unless you omit the switch (/r or /f). Please run DiskCheckup and view the SMART data. Post a screenshot for us if anything is not "OK".
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Apr 2016
    Posts : 55
    Windows 10
       31 Jul 2016 #8

    I've been running DiskCheckup and everything is showing as "OK". Short test has completed without error. I'll run the long one and see what happens.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Apr 2015
    Posts : 9,154
    W10Prox64
       31 Jul 2016 #9

    Smiley1 said: View Post
    I've been running DiskCheckup and everything is showing as "OK". Short test has completed without error. I'll run the long one and see what happens.
    This is the tab we're most interested in:


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diskcheckup06.PNG 
Views:	1 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	93231




    The "tests" in DiskCheckup aren't very reliable - especially the long one; you may find it stalls or errors out.

    The "tests" to run are with SeaTools - DOS - long test. That is the best one.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Apr 2016
    Posts : 55
    Windows 10
       31 Jul 2016 #10

    You're right about that extended test in DiskCheckup. It got stuck at 10% and wouldn't abort. I shut down the laptop and powered it back up. It now shows that a test was aborted by the host, it seems to be on the short test and still stalled out at 10%. The other short tests run earlier today showed no errors.

    I just have a column of "N/A" 's under 'predicted TEC date'.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Drive Error Checking in Windows 10
How to Check a Drive for Errors in Windows 10 Checking your drives for errors every once in a while can help fix some performance issues. Drive errors can usually be caused by bad sectors, improper shutdowns, bad software, corruption, physical...
Tutorials
BSOD: Possibly caused by Errors on Hard Drive. Not sure...
For more on this BSOD (Crash), please refer to C Drive Missing in Windows 10 - Page 3 - Windows 10 Forums. 81014
BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Pen Drive and external hard drive keep getting errors!
Pen Drive and external hard drive keep getting errors! So I select to fix the problem scandrive recommended scan and repair. But there's never anything wrong with them it reports! And it takes ages to scan it takes 10-15 minutes for 32GB pen drive....
Drivers and Hardware
Hard Drive\Non-Hard Drive Question - How Much Space ?
I have a lot of hard drives on quite a few pc's. I have always read that you should keep a minimum of 15% of free space on any hard drive, which I do on all of my hard drives (7 I think). I recently bought a LIVA MINI-PC and instead of a hard...
General Support
Hard drive errors won't fix on reboot
I am running build 9926, and got a maintenance error message yesterday, "Restart to repair hard drive errors (Important)". noting a need to restart the PC (as is common for NTFS repairs). However, upon restarting the computer, it just boots back...
Drivers and Hardware
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:50.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums