Windows 10: Need Hard Drive reformatting help Solved

  1.    24 Jul 2016 #1

    Need Hard Drive reformatting help


    Hello everyone,

    I have got a external hard drive that was used for extra storage with a Dish DVR. We now want to format it for use on windows now. I been doing some research on it and everything so far I tried, didnt work.

    I have tried using Western Digitals Tool to do the "Write Zeros" and didnt work, I tried the SeaTools from Seagate, and that not even pick up the drive (Which is should because I know it will work on any hard drive.)

    Please let me know if you have any other things to try to get this hard drive working again.

    Thanks,
    Afees98
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    24 Jul 2016 #2

    Minitool Partition Wizard:
    Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

    Does the external drive show up as a physical drive in Minitool when it is connected?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    24 Jul 2016 #3

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    Minitool Partition Wizard:
    Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

    Does the external drive show up as a physical drive in Minitool when it is connected?
    No, it just shows the main computer drive. Doesnt show the external.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    24 Jul 2016 #4

    Afees98 said: View Post
    No, it just shows the main computer drive. Doesnt show the external.
    What type of connection is the external hard drive? USB? eSata? Don't forget with eSata your are going to have to have an external power supply. Also if it is a desktop size (3.5") hard drive you are going to have to have an external power supply as well.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    24 Jul 2016 #5

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    What type of connection is the external hard drive? USB? eSata? Don't forget with eSata your are going to have to have an external power supply. Also if it is a desktop size (3.5") hard drive you are going to have to have an external power supply as well.
    Yes its desktop hard drive that I put in a casing with a power supply.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    24 Jul 2016 #6

    Afees98 said: View Post
    Yes its desktop hard drive that I put in a casing with a power supply.
    Do you happen to have the model number of the hard drive and make/model of the enclosure it is in?

    Without those specifics, I would recommend temporarily connecting the hard drive directly to a motherboard with a sata cable and plugging a power supply connector into it. See if the computer recognizes it as a hard drive with a regular connection.

    Also, was the hard drive in this same enclosure when it was connected to the Dish receiver?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    24 Jul 2016 #7

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    Do you happen to have the model number of the hard drive and make/model of the enclosure it is in?

    Without those specifics, I would recommend temporarily connecting the hard drive directly to a motherboard with a sata cable and plugging a power supply connector into it. See if the computer recognizes it as a hard drive with a regular connection.

    Also, was the hard drive in this same enclosure when it was connected to the Dish receiver?
    Yea it was in this enclosure while connected to the Dish DVR. Its a Western Digital Caviar SE. 120 GB.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    24 Jul 2016 #8

    Afees98 said: View Post
    Yea it was in this enclosure while connected to the Dish DVR. Its a Western Digital Caviar SE. 120 GB.
    K. My only suggestion then is the same, try connecting the hard drive to a motherboard directly with a sata cable and power supply power lead.... maybe someone else has more ideas. The problem is that the hard drive itself is not physically detected. It should be, regardless of how it is formatted (or not formatted.)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    24 Jul 2016 #9

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    K. My only suggestion then is the same, try connecting the hard drive to a motherboard directly with a sata cable and power supply power lead.... maybe someone else has more ideas. The problem is that the hard drive itself is not physically detected. It should be, regardless of how it is formatted (or not formatted.)
    Yea. I have a spare desktop i will be putting that into tomorrow. I already saw that suggestion. But what they said was start a install of windows and see if it will format that way. Which is what I will try tomorrow.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Okay, here's a weird one. And of the searching I've done, it seems others who've had this problem have had encryption, which I don't. Problem: When I click on my H: drive or try to access it from the command line, it gives me an access denied...
Just cloned Windows 10 system disk from 230 Gb SSD to 900 Gb SSD using Acronis. New system drive works fine. Trying to remove the OS partition from old OS drive and get "OS (E:) Simple Volume is currently in use" and statement regarding forced...
I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and post that It was working fine without any issues. I have two external drive connected to it. 1. 1 TB Iomega powered drive. - now RAW 2. 2TB seagate external drive. The 1tb drive suddenly became RAW and I...
Hi! Bought a replacement secondary hard drive, but want to know best tool to clone it. My main drive is an SSD with Windows on, but I used Kari's tutorial to move the user folder on to a secondary hard drive, so just unsure on the best way to go...
I have a lot of hard drives on quite a few pc's. I have always read that you should keep a minimum of 15% of free space on any hard drive, which I do on all of my hard drives (7 I think). I recently bought a LIVA MINI-PC and instead of a hard...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33.
Find Us