Windows 10: 14367 and GPT Partitions Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    17 Jun 2016 #1

    14367 and GPT Partitions


    New MB and first time with GPT partitions. Basic question, do I need all of these?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 14367parts.PNG  
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 2,429
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64
       17 Jun 2016 #2

    Answer is YES
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    17 Jun 2016 #3

    topgundcp said: View Post
    Answer is YES
    Even that blank 7.45GB at the end?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 2,429
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64
       17 Jun 2016 #4

    meebers said: View Post
    Even that blank 7.45GB at the end?
    No, you don't need that blank. Just the below:
    1. 450MB Recovery: contains tools for repair/trouble shoot. Also used to create bootable Recovery USB/CD
    2. 100 MB EFI System: contains boot code. Without it, PC won't boot
    3. 16 MB MSR: Microsoft Reserved
    4. C Drive
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    17 Jun 2016 #5

    topgundcp said: View Post
    No, you don't need that blank. Just the below:
    1. 450MB Recovery: contains tools for repair/trouble shoot
    2. 100 MB EFI System: contains boot code. Without it, PC won't boot
    3. 16 MB MSR: Microsoft Reserved
    4. C Drive
    ok thanks for answer and the explanation of what they do.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 81
    Windows 10 Pro x64 V1607 b14393
       17 Jun 2016 #6

    meebers said: View Post
    Even that blank 7.45GB at the end?
    That blank 7 GB at the end is a fraction of the space on your SSD that's reserved for the SSD controller. Over provisioning i.e. the reserved space helps to extend the life of your SSD and optimize performance. So, I'd leave it as it is.

    SSD manufacturers either over provision at the factory or recommend manually reserving a portion of the SSD as unused space for the controller.

    My Samsung SSD (850 Pro) has about 10% of its space reserved for over provisioning. This was done through the Samsung Magician software.

    PS - Some reading: Understanding SSDs: the need for TRIM, overprovisioning, and more - TechSpot
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    17 Jun 2016 #7

    Beaupeep said: View Post
    That blank 7 GB at the end is a fraction of the space on your SSD that's reserved for the SSD controller. Over provisioning i.e. the reserved space helps to extend the life of your SSD and optimize performance. So, I'd leave it as it is.

    SSD manufacturers either over provision at the factory or recommend manually reserving a portion of the SSD as unused space for the controller.

    My Samsung SSD (850 Pro) has about 10% of its space as OP.
    OK that is good to know, was about to undo it. Tx
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 2,429
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64
       17 Jun 2016 #8

    meebers said: View Post
    OK that is good to know, was about to undo it. Tx
    Did you use Samsung Magician to set it up ? If not then it is just unallocated space. I don't use it for all my SSD's
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    17 Jun 2016 #9

    topgundcp said: View Post
    Did you use Samsung Magician to set it up ? If not then it is just allocated space. I don't use it for all my SSD's
    No did not use the magician, will have to ask Mr Google what it is.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    17 Jun 2016 #10

    Beaupeep said: View Post
    That blank 7 GB at the end is a fraction of the space on your SSD that's reserved for the SSD controller. Over provisioning i.e. the reserved space helps to extend the life of your SSD and optimize performance. So, I'd leave it as it is.

    SSD manufacturers either over provision at the factory or recommend manually reserving a portion of the SSD as unused space for the controller.

    My Samsung SSD (850 Pro) has about 10% of its space reserved for over provisioning. This was done through the Samsung Magician software.

    PS - Some reading: Understanding SSDs: the need for TRIM, overprovisioning, and more - TechSpot
    Tx again. D/l the magician, ran it and likewise it is set to 10% for over provisioning.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
31727 Hi, I've noticed I have an extra recovery partition that wasn't in Windows 8.1. Is it a partition for recovery back to 8.1? (I ran disk cleanup to get rid of the files, as I have a system image to use if I wanted to go back). And in disk...
745378334754803715 743609507951960064 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14367 for PC and Mobile | Windows Experience Blog
Solved partitions in Drivers and Hardware
Using min tool I partitioned my 500gb hdd to 148 gb leaving 352 gb unallocated. How do I restore back to the 500gb hdd?
After a clean install of win10, I installed a new SSD on my desktop PC by using macrium reflect to clone the HDD onto the SDD. The computer now boots from the SSD properly, and I use the HDD as a data drive and the default location for libraries...
Solved Partitions on laptop in Performance & Maintenance
This poor thing had Windows 8 on it. Upgraded to 8.1, then to 10. As you can see, my partitions are a mess. The one labeled D: Recovery is HP recovery, Windows 8. That's definitely useless. Know WINRE and C need to stay, unsure about others. the...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10.
Find Us