Windows 10: Help With Partition Management Solved

  1.    04 Jun 2016 #1

    Help With Partition Management


    So, on my old computer, I always used to run out of space on my D drive. When I got my new windows 10 laptop, I wanted to make sure that didn't happen. So, when manually I partitioned out a D drive, I gave it half the storage on my computer. Fast forward a few months, and now I'm running out of space on my C drive instead. However, when I attempt to transfer space from my D drive back to my C drive, I discover that I can't. I can unallocate the space from the D drive, but the windows disk management tool won't allow me to extend the C drive, nor will any of the third-party software that I've downloaded in an effort to solve this problem. When I right click on the C drive in the window below, the Extend Volume option is greyed out. Any ideas on how to solve this problem?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bug report.PNG 
Views:	5 
Size:	296.7 KB 
ID:	83341
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    04 Jun 2016 #2

    The free space created has to be next to the partition you want to add it to. Use MiniTool Partition Wizard Free to move the D: drive partition to the end of the drive, move the recovery partition to just in front of the D: drive, then add the unallocated space to the C: drive.

    Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 3
    Window 7 premium
       06 Jun 2016 #3

    Your problem is actually caused by the 499MB partition. It is Microsoft Reserved Partition. Please delete this partition. It sounds scary but it is safe. Remove this partition will NOT impact your system at all.
    Finally, you can extend your C: in MIniTool.

    Just have a try since this method has been pulled many people out.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    06 Jun 2016 #4

    LiaLee said: View Post
    Your problem is actually caused by the 499MB partition. It is Microsoft Reserved Partition. Please delete this partition. It sounds scary but it is safe. Remove this partition will NOT impact your system at all.
    Finally, you can extend your C: in MIniTool.

    Just have a try since this method has been pulled many people out.
    First, the 499mb partition is NOT the Microsoft Reserved Partition. It is the recovery partition.

    Second, the user deletes the 499mb Recovery partition - OK, now they can add that 499mb of space to their C: drive. And they still have 146.49 GB of unallocated free space left at the end of their drive that they cannot add to C: drive....
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 3
    Window 7 premium
       06 Jun 2016 #5

    Have you noticed that the 499MB partition(whatever it is called) is full? It is the reason why arenbecl can not extend C:. Thus, deletion should be the first move.

    Furthermore, with the "extend partition" feature in MiniTool, there is no need for arenbecl to move the partitions.

    Just as what said in their website --- "Extend Partition directly takes free space from any other existing partitions or unallocated space to enlarge a partition on the same disk".
    Maybe, you can refer to the link below.
    How to extend partition in MiniTool : How to Extend Partition | MiniTool Partition Wizard Tutorial


    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    First, the 499mb partition is NOT the Microsoft Reserved Partition. It is the recovery partition.

    Second, the user deletes the 499mb Recovery partition - OK, now they can add that 499mb of space to their C: drive. And they still have 146.49 GB of unallocated free space left at the end of their drive that they cannot add to C: drive....
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    06 Jun 2016 #6

    You were correct about the extend partition function of MiniTool Partition Wizard - I have never used that function before. It essentially does automatically what I have always done manually.

    Your statement that a partition should be deleted just because it is full is irresponsible. Yes, arenbed can delete the recovery partition. And when he does, he will lose the recovery options that it provides. That being said, in Windows 10, those recovery functions can also be performed by booting from a Windows 10 installation USB flash drive or DVD.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 3
    Window 7 premium
       06 Jun 2016 #7

    Yes, you are right that the recovery partition(contains the backup information of hardware drivers or so) is important to some extent. However, deletion will do little impact in it since people can still download them from the official website.

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    You were correct about the extend partition function of MiniTool Partition Wizard - I have never used that function before. It essentially does automatically what I have always done manually.

    Your statement that a partition should be deleted just because it is full is irresponsible. Yes, arenbed can delete the recovery partition. And when he does, he will lose the recovery options that it provides. That being said, in Windows 10, those recovery functions can also be performed by booting from a Windows 10 installation USB flash drive or DVD.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
So I'm having a lot of trouble doing my Win 7 to Win 10 upgrade (long story, other threads here), and then I realized that if I screwed up, I could damage my Windows partition :mad:, which also contains like 100+ GB of installed programs (but no...
Hello everyone, This is my very first post to this forum, so please don't bite my head off if my question has been answered already or if it's in the wrong section. :o So, I've had this 1Tb HDD lying around unused, so I had the bright idea of...
Solved Help With Partition Management in Performance & Maintenance
My current disk allocation is seen in the attached pic. Somehow, after installation of 10 I ended up with this. 52370 The highlighted partitions are all showing as being empty (100% free space), the circled partitions show 2 recovery partitions,...
Power management? in General Support
When I change the power management to never turn the screen off on my desktop the setting is back to 15 minutes when the Pc is restarted. On my laptop I don't have this problem and I can't find a setting in the BIOS which can be the cause? I use...
VHD in Disk Management in Virtualization
I was looking in Disk management in Win 8.1 and under the "action tab", there is a choice to; Create VHD. I can't get a shot of it to show a snip. Has anyone used this ? Would this be safe to install Win 10 with ?
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:01.
Find Us