Windows 10: ASUS USB Ports and Touchpad Not Working after Windows 10 update

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    28 Apr 2016 #21

    Arc said: View Post

    Here lies a big contradiction. CSM enabled means Legacy BIOS mode; and the boot order is UEFI.
    Plus there is an active partition in your GPT disk which is having a recovery partition as well.

    Have you tried anything else other than what we suggested?


    Please disable CSM. See if UEFI boot restores back.

    If not, just because of the haphazard partition structure of the disk; I would suggest you to back up your data, format the entire disk, and install windows afresh.
    I've tried using the Start-up Repair in the Automatic Repair Menu that comes up when you try to boot plus I tried booting into Safe Mode. I just end up in the same position. Other than that I didn't do anything apart from what was suggested.

    I'll try disabling the CSM and try rebooting after I'm finished backing up.

    I used the Windows 10 Recovery tool that you suggested and booted from a DVD and I was able to access my files. If I install the windows afresh, would I be able to remove the partition on my hard drive and use it without any partition? My laptop came with the partition already.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 1,648
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home
       28 Apr 2016 #22

    purple potato said: View Post
    If I install the windows afresh, would I be able to remove the partition on my hard drive and use it without any partition? My laptop came with the partition already.
    If you install windows afresh, delete all the existing partitions. Make two partitions yourself. One for the OS and the other is for the data. Select the OS partition and proceed with installation; the mechanism will create two more partitions there.

    The factory created partitions are not necessary after a clean reinstall.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    28 Apr 2016 #23

    Arc said: View Post
    If you install windows afresh, delete all the existing partitions. Make two partitions yourself. One for the OS and the other is for the data. Select the OS partition and proceed with installation; the mechanism will create two more partitions there.

    The factory created partitions are not necessary after a clean reinstall.
    What size would you recommend the OS partition to be?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    28 Apr 2016 #24

    Arc said: View Post
    If you install windows afresh, delete all the existing partitions. Make two partitions yourself. One for the OS and the other is for the data. Select the OS partition and proceed with installation; the mechanism will create two more partitions there.

    The factory created partitions are not necessary after a clean reinstall.
    My laptop has a 24GB SSD. Its Drive 1 in the snap below. It is used as cache I guess to help with the laptop's alleged 2 second start up time. Should I delete it too or leave it be?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160428_192750.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	928.6 KB 
ID:	77259

    Also I'm getting a Warning stating: "Windows can't be installed to this disk. The select disk is of the GPT partition style."
    It says that for any Drive and Partition selected.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    28 Apr 2016 #25

    This is the Repair Log when I did the Startup Repair:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160428_223658.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	77274
    Perhaps it will help to give a better understanding of why my laptop isn't booting up.

    Also these were the updates that caused my USB ports and my touch-pad to stop working:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160426_132701.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	286.1 KB 
ID:	77276
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 1,648
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home
       29 Apr 2016 #26

    purple potato said: View Post
    My laptop has a 24GB SSD. Its Drive 1 in the snap below. It is used as cache I guess to help with the laptop's alleged 2 second start up time. Should I delete it too or leave it be?
    You may leave that memory caching SSD.
    purple potato said: View Post
    Also I'm getting a Warning stating: "Windows can't be installed to this disk. The select disk is of the GPT partition style."
    It says that for any Drive and Partition selected.
    If CSM is disabled as said in post #20, then it should not occur. UEFI works perfectly with GPT disks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    29 Apr 2016 #27

    Arc said: View Post
    You may leave that memory caching SSD.

    If CSM is disabled as said in post #20, then it should not occur. UEFI works perfectly with GPT disks.
    Thanks for your all your help thus far.

    I changed the CSM to disabled and the clean reinstallation with UEFI started. I'm waiting for it to finish. Approximately how long does it take? What are the benifits of splitting the partitions into OS and Data?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 1,648
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home
       29 Apr 2016 #28

    The basic installation will take a few minutes only; it may take some time to get the critical updates during installation depending on your internet speed.

    Most of the users prefer to store the data in a separate disk. As you dont have another disk there, it will be better to keep the data away from the C drive. So I suggested you for a separate partition.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    29 Apr 2016 #29

    Arc said: View Post
    The basic installation will take a few minutes only; it may take some time to get the critical updates during installation depending on your internet speed.

    Most of the users prefer to store the data in a separate disk. As you dont have another disk there, it will be better to keep the data away from the C drive. So I suggested you for a separate partition.
    My Internet speed is very slow...only 10Mbps so I might have a long wait.

    I allocated 200gb for the OS and 300gb for the data. I tend to install a lot of large programs.

    I hope it everything works when it's finished.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 1,648
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home
       29 Apr 2016 #30

    All the best. Let us know the result when done.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Related Threads
Touchpad not working for windows 10. in Drivers and Hardware
Hey :-) i just upgraded to Windows 10, and everything is working fine exept for my Elan touchpad. I have never experienced it not working for Windows 8. Please help.
Solved USB 3 Ports Stopped Working in Drivers and Hardware
My front and rear USB 3 ports stopped working. The rear USB 2 ports still work. When I plug an external HDD into the front USB 3 ports it powers up the drive, but it isn't recognized in Windows Explorer. My USB card reader doesn't light up. Device...
Hello guys, this is my first ever post on this forum. Thank you very much for taking your time to support me. So I've been using this Asus K401L with Windows 10 installed for over 3 weeks and it's been working perfectly. Yesterday, my touchpad...
Hello Everyone, I recently purchased a used Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A ultrabook. I did a fresh install of Windows 10, and am trying to figure out if having a physical 2 finger right-click is possible. I know we have 2 of the 'dedicated'...
Solved Update disabled USB Ports. in Drivers and Hardware
Windows 10 USB 3.0 Ports got Disabled after a recent failed update try. KB3081438 which downloads, but fails to install HERE] The ports are powered since i can connect my mobile to the 'disabled' ports and yet charge the device but cannot do...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05.
Find Us