Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    17 Apr 2016 #1
    Join Date : Apr 2016
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10

    When to install drivers when re-installing Windows 10


    I have been having problems with Windows 10 Home and after searching around I found that the best course of action would be to reinstall windows.
    Having created a USB with the install on it I want to start, however I had my PC made and delivered to me with everything installed including my Graphics card drivers ect. I have the disk for it, and I understand how to reinstall windows but what I don't know is when I would Install the Graphics Card drivers and whether an External Disk Drive would work when completing this process?
    I am nervous about reinstalling windows but I feel it is neccisary.

    Thank you for reading, and help is appreciated.
    Ben
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    17 Apr 2016 #2
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 39,953
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    Quote Originally Posted by benpatten View Post
    I have been having problems with Windows 10 Home and after searching around I found that the best course of action would be to reinstall windows.
    Having created a USB with the install on it I want to start, however I had my PC made and delivered to me with everything installed including my Graphics card drivers ect. I have the disk for it, and I understand how to reinstall windows but what I don't know is when I would Install the Graphics Card drivers and whether an External Disk Drive would work when completing this process?
    I am nervous about reinstalling windows but I feel it is neccisary.

    Thank you for reading, and help is appreciated.
    Ben
    Welcome Ben to Ten Forums. You could make a backup of all your installed drivers 1st. Also makes a complete image backup of your Windows OS too before doing your re-install of Windows. If you choose the Repair Windows method Ben, then you will not lose any personal files or installed 3rd party programs. Only thing you might want to do is whatever 3rd party AV program you may be using is to remove it 1st before repairing your Windows 10. Here are some links Ben, and suggestions.

    For making a backup for all your Windows Drivers:
    Create a folder on your flash drive or any internal or external drive: Drivers
    Open Admin command prompt and run: Dism /Online /Export-Driver /Destination:X:\Drivers
    Replace X with the drive letter of your drive.
    Or use the freeware: Driver 4.1 Backup Download
    http://www.techspot.com/downloads/61...le-driver.html

    Link for doing a Repair install for your Windows:
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

    Here is the link for Macrium Reflect for making a complete image of your current Windows 10 OS
    http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

    Hope this helps you Ben
    Mike
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    18 Apr 2016 #3
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Tropic of Cancer
    Posts : 1,648
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home

    I think it is better to use the Device Installation Settings.

    Do it and forget about the drivers.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    18 Apr 2016 #4
    Join Date : Mar 2015
    Philadelphia
    Posts : 1,174
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Windows Update will bring you most drivers. I usually let Windows Update handled them all except my video card, which I install manually before getting the rest of the updates/driver.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    18 Apr 2016 #5
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 39,953
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    Quote Originally Posted by Arc View Post
    I think it is better to use the Device Installation Settings.

    Do it and forget about the drivers.
    Everyone seems to have different opinions on this subject. Me included. I've seen cases where letting Windows update your drivers, can mess up your computer quite nicely. On the link you provided Arc its good to show the user on how to Turn OFF getting driver updates from MS.

    BEST method is to get them from the manufacturer of your Computer. HP, Acer, Dell... etc. That's why once you've installed your Windows 10, and have it running well, backup your existing drivers, to a usb drive or any 2nd drive or external drive. Just incase Windows decides to update one of your system device drivers to a OLDER driver, which I've seen it do.


    Of course its always the users choice, on which they would rather do, trust the manufacturer or Let MS decide on what drivers should be updated on their computer.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    18 Apr 2016 #6
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Tropic of Cancer
    Posts : 1,648
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home

    Hi Mike.

    If it is a laptop, some drivers are must to use from the OEM manufacturer's site. Specially the driver to the dedicated graphics (powered by Optimus), and the touchpad and WLan too, to have their full functionality.

    For a custom built desktop PC like that of benpatten, the drivers obtained form windows update does not cause a big difference, rather they are more stable. During BSOD debugging, I have never seen storahci.sys or usbxhci.sys is causing a single issue on themselves; whereas the vendor supplied alternatives cause a great lot of issues.

    Moreover, when the OEM manufacturer or the motherboard manufacturer stops providing driver updates for a particular model, windows update saves the life of the system.

    Yes, drivers from windows update may be unstable, seen a few time for the drivers to the peripheral/auxiliary devices; and that is the same for drivers supplied by the vendor or manufacturer.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    28 Apr 2016 #7
    Join Date : Apr 2016
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Okay, thank you all for the replies. I don't have an optical drive in my pc, but I can use an external one which plugs in using USB. Once I've re-installed windows, will I be able to re-install my drivers using that?
    Also, at what stage would I put the disk in?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    28 Apr 2016 #8
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Tropic of Cancer
    Posts : 1,648
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home

    An Optical Disk Drive is not needed to reinstall windows. A USB Flash Drive is enough.
    If you have the windows ISO: Use Rufus.
    If you dont have it: Use USB Media Creation Tool.

    An ODD is not needed to install the drivers, too. Get the drivers directly from the OEM/ Motherboard manufacturer's website and install it; or get the drivers via windows update. Forget that you have a disk containing drivers. Those are not only old drivers but also containing lots of bloatware which may cause a number of issues.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    28 Apr 2016 #9
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 39,953
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    Quote Originally Posted by Arc View Post
    An Optical Disk Drive is not needed to reinstall windows. A USB Flash Drive is enough.
    If you have the windows ISO: Use Rufus.
    If you dont have it: Use USB Media Creation Tool.

    An ODD is not needed to install the drivers, too. Get the drivers directly from the OEM/ Motherboard manufacturer's website and install it; or get the drivers via windows update. Forget that you have a disk containing drivers. Those are not only old drivers but also containing lots of bloatware which may cause a number of issues.
    Actually don't even need Rufus either, as 7-zip will copy all the files to any USB drive (formatted fat32) just fine. Or any program that can view ISO files. WinRAR is another type. This method is also MUCH faster Arc Try it sometime.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    28 Apr 2016 #10
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Tropic of Cancer
    Posts : 1,648
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home

    Quote Originally Posted by OldMike65 View Post
    Actually don't even need Rufus either, as 7-zip will copy all the files to any USB drive (formatted fat32) just fine. Or any program that can view ISO files. WinRAR is another type. This method is also MUCH faster Arc Try it sometime.
    A clean install using 7zip? How will it boot from the installer?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Sound Drivers Don't Function After Installing Windows 10
Greetings, I've recently installed Windows 10 via Microsoft's "Media Creation Tool" for 64-bit operating systems, selecting the second option to keep only personal files and not apps (thus I'm not able to revert the OS back to 8.1). However, after...
Drivers and Hardware
Windows Update not installing drivers
So I just performed a clean install and after running windows update it failed to install some drivers. Not sure which drivers I need now since I thought windows is supposed to install the right ones on its own. 31005310103100731008
Drivers and Hardware
None of my drivers are being detected after installing Windows 10
So I just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on my Dell Inspiron N7110 and now I'm having issues with all of my drivers not being recognized. My screen resolution is stuck in 1280x720 and its only recognizing Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. I...
Drivers and Hardware
Solved Motherboard Drivers won't install after installing Windows 10
My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 rev 1.0 Iv'e just installed windows 10 and when trying to install my motherboard drivers from my installation disc I get an error saying "This version of Xpress install does not support Win 98/ME". ...
Drivers and Hardware
Installing SADES heaphone drivers on Windows 10
Hello everyone, First of all, thanks for your time reading and trying to help. I have a SADES SA-903 headphone, which supports virtual 7.1 audio, and tried to install the drivers for it (so I can configure it to use the 7.1 configuration instead...
Drivers and Hardware
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:26.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums