Windows 10: Transferring files from Windows XP sata hard drive to Windows 10 PC Solved

  1.    10 Mar 2016 #1

    Transferring files from Windows XP sata hard drive to Windows 10 PC


    Hello,

    I have an old sata internal hard drive with Windows XP installed and various files I'd like to recover. I hooked it up to my Windows 10 desktop and can view it in "This PC" but when I attempt to access it it suggests I reformat the drive. I don't actually need the drive itself, I am only interested in recovering the files on it.

    Is there any way to access the files on the old hard drive without having access to Windows XP or Windows 7 machine?

    Would it be possible to access the hard drive on a Windows 7 laptop with some sort of Sata to USB adapter?

    I found this topic where one user said it should be as simple as just plugging it in.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R2iN4Ae.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	68758
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3z11V0V.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	7.2 KB 
ID:	68759

    Thank you!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    10 Mar 2016 #2

    Technohero said: View Post
    Hello,

    I have an old sata internal hard drive with Windows XP installed and various files I'd like to recover. I hooked it up to my Windows 10 desktop and can view it in "This PC" but when I attempt to access it it suggests I reformat the drive. I don't actually need the drive itself, I am only interested in recovering the files on it.

    Is there any way to access the files on the old hard drive without having access to Windows XP or Windows 7 machine?

    Would it be possible to access the hard drive on a Windows 7 laptop with some sort of Sata to USB adapter?

    I found this topic where one user said it should be as simple as just plugging it in.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R2iN4Ae.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	68758
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3z11V0V.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	7.2 KB 
ID:	68759

    Thank you!
    Hi Technohero and welcome to Tenforums.

    Yes, you should be able to hook that drive up to any system, using a SATA to USB adapter of some sort, or even plugging it inside your rig, and you should be able to do this in Windows 10. However, if the drive has some sort of damage, Windows will tell you to format it first before using it. So, is it a pretty old disk? Has it been dropped/damaged in some way?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    10 Mar 2016 #3

    simrick said: View Post
    Hi Technohero and welcome to Tenforums.

    Yes, you should be able to hook that drive up to any system, using a SATA to USB adapter of some sort, or even plugging it inside your rig, and you should be able to do this in Windows 10. However, if the drive has some sort of damage, Windows will tell you to format it first before using it. So, is it a pretty old disk? Has it been dropped/damaged in some way?
    Hi Simrick, thank you for the quick reply. It's been roughly 3yrs or so since the hard drive was hooked up to the Windows XP machine it belonged to. The drive was never dropped, but it has been through a couple moves and was stored somewhat carelessly, usually with the metal facing down to prevent scuffing the chip/circuitry.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    10 Mar 2016 #4

    Those errors indicate that Windows can't read the drive in its present state.

    What I recommend is using a data recovery app that can read the drive without relying on the Windows filesystem to be intact. My personal preference is Active@File Recovery Pro. They have a trial version you can download and see what it finds, but you have to go online and buy a license to do any serious data recovery.

    Good Luck
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    10 Mar 2016 #5

    Technohero said: View Post
    Hi Simrick, thank you for the quick reply. It's been roughly 3yrs or so since the hard drive was hooked up to the Windows XP machine it belonged to. The drive was never dropped, but it has been through a couple moves and was stored somewhat carelessly, usually with the metal facing down to prevent scuffing the chip/circuitry.
    Okay, so we have some possibilities here you can try...basically try one after another to see if we can get something that will work. Sometimes the damage can be from environment, (moisture, temperature, static electricity), or even the drive just goes bad over time (things like the FileSystem/MFT go bad, etc.). So, here are some things to try:

    1. If you have a desktop and extra SATA+power cables, hook it up inside your rig. If you're not able to hook it up inside a desktop, use a SATA to USB adapter or hard drive dock to hook it up. Try some recovery programs to see if the data can be recovered:

    Recuva
    EaseUS

    2. One of our forum members has a tutorial over at our sister site, SevenForums, for reading files using Linux.

    3. If it's a matter of file system damage, sometimes a "quick" format puts the disk back into a state which then can be "read" and recovered. Understand that a quick format doesn't overwrite the data on the disk, it just "releases" it as "available" for new data to be written. So, as long as nothing it written over it after the quick format, some recovery programs are then able to retrieve the data.

    4. Failing these, you might want to consider Steve Gibson's SpinRite, (assuming this is a "spinner" and not a SSD). It's $89 if you've never purchased it before. This would be an alternative, or a step to try before going to "clean-room" professional recovery services, (example), which charge approximately $1-2,000, depending on the failure mode and amount of data to be recovered.

    GRC

    Purchase Download

    SpinRite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    I've never used it personally, but it does have a good testimonials for data recovery.

    Just depends how badly you need your data back.

    Hope that helps. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    11 Mar 2016 #6

    Thank you both for the suggestions and all of the info, I appreciate it!

    I tried EaseUS and wasn't able to scan the old internal hard drive at all. It told me to "Make sure the hard drive is plugged in" -- which it was. But I was able to use EaseUS on an old external hard drive that at one point had back ups of most of my files I needed from the internal drive. I was able to recover what I needed, at least to some extent, from the external.

    Thanks again for the help!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    11 Mar 2016 #7

    Technohero said: View Post
    Thank you both for the suggestions and all of the info, I appreciate it!

    I tried EaseUS and wasn't able to scan the old internal hard drive at all. It told me to "Make sure the hard drive is plugged in" -- which it was. But I was able to use EaseUS on an old external hard drive that at one point had back ups of most of my files I needed from the internal drive. I was able to recover what I needed, at least to some extent, from the external.

    Thanks again for the help!
    Glad to hear you got it (mostly) sorted! You might want to try formatting that bad drive, using "quick" format only, then see if EaseUS is able to read and recover anything. If you do, please let us know. :)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    11 Mar 2016 #8

    Oh my still running XP talk about a breach
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
The power went out while doing a Windows 10 update. I purchased a USB to SATA connector, connected it to another Windows 10 PC's USB port. The external hard drive that I removed from my other PC is not showing in Windows File Manager.
I tried updating my Windows 7 Pro system to windows 10 pro. The update went Ok but I noticed that my Raid 0 configuration is now considered an SSD and Windows won't let me defrag my drives. I found a comment online that running Windat formal will...
I have reinstalled Windows 10 so do not have any old Windows 8 residue. I need these files to create a new profile with NTLite for a reduced footprint on any reinstallation. Any ideas, a google search does not really help ?
So, i have a new HDD with Win 10 installed. What i'm wonderering is: Can i transfer files between my old HDD with win 10 (home) and my new HDD with win 10 (pro). I know that tranferring files between win 7 and 8 creates problems. But is that the...
Windows 10 did an update on my wife's desktop that was incompatible with the Nvidia graphic drivers on it. As a result, the dual monitors no longer display. We took the computer to the local Microsoft store and they were fully aware of the problem...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:55.
Find Us