Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    21 Feb 2016 #1
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 18
    windows 10 64 bit

    defective gpu or faulty psu?


    I built a gaming pc last month and everything works except for playing games, everytime I try to play a game I get a red screen of death within the first 10-15 minutes.

    I have gotton support from the developers of the games and I have troubleshooted just about everything you could think of. Even when I run furmark or unigine heaven benchmark my pc gets a red screen crash within the first 15 minutes, it isn't an over heating problem becasue I the gpu temps don't go past 80 celcius and the cpu don't go past 40 celcius.

    Every crash I get the dump files point to ntoskrnl.exe driver (has to do with memory) has casued the crash. When my pc crashes all of my components and fans are still running and the gpu is running just as it did before the crash, that's why I don't think it is a psu problem not supplying enough power but a gpu problem for some reason once it is required to work for a while it craps out.

    Here is everything I have tried and any advice of what I should rma first, the gpu or psu, I have not updated the bios on my motherboard, should I try this? Should I contact asrock first so they don't void my warranty?

    -ran memtest+ for 10 passes 0 error (ram is fine)
    -ran sfc scanner
    -scanned my hard drive (no problems found)
    -unninstalled antivirus
    -tried to play a game in clean boot environment (still got the crash)
    -did a clean install of amd drivers multiple times
    -clean install of windows 10 twice
    -troubleshooted with steam and developers of the games and nothing worked.
    -I tried more things but if you bring them up I will remember of I tried it
    -I have attempted many more things, I can't list everythig here.

    here are my parts
    https://pcpartpicker.com/user/shadybk/saved/

    any advice would be greatly appreciated

    If you want dump I can provide them but everyone that has looked at them can't find anything specific, I have tried looking at the event viewer but I don't understand most of the language the computer uses.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    21 Feb 2016 #2
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,837
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    I looked up ntoskrnl.exe and hit on the Tom's Hardware site. Go here Ntoskrnl Windows 10 and see if anything helps you there.

    This tells me it could even be your motherboard. Although, generally, high video usage generally will get you errors, so it could be the video card. Or even faulty RAM. I think the PSU would be the least suspect of all, then the motherboard, you say RAM is fine, so for me, I'd have the video card checked.

    Are you playing only one game or several? If only one, that could be suspect also.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    21 Feb 2016 #3
    Join Date : May 2015
    Posts : 1,647
    Win 10 X64 Pro 15063

    I don't know.

    XFX recommends a 750W PSU as a minimum. I'd expect a good 650W unit like you Seasonic to be adequate. The card should max out at less than 300W (75W from the slot, 75W from the 6 pin, and 150W from the 8 pin).

    If you could borrow or buy another graphics card, that might simplify your testing.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    21 Feb 2016 #4
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 18
    windows 10 64 bit
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
    I don't know.

    XFX recommends a 750W PSU as a minimum. I'd expect a good 650W unit like you Seasonic to be adequate. The card should max out at less than 300W (75W from the slot, 75W from the 6 pin, and 150W from the 8 pin).

    If you could borrow or buy another graphics card, that might simplify your testing.
    I tried to hook up my pc to a ups to see how much power it draws before it crashes and the most wattage it was using was about 300 Watts, those recommendations are extremely over exaggerated.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    21 Feb 2016 #5
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,837
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Quote Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
    I don't know.

    XFX recommends a 750W PSU as a minimum. I'd expect a good 650W unit like you Seasonic to be adequate. The card should max out at less than 300W (75W from the slot, 75W from the 6 pin, and 150W from the 8 pin).

    If you could borrow or buy another graphics card, that might simplify your testing.
    Ahhh, since I'm not a gamer . . . you're more experienced in that area; however, if it were me, I'd have been caught putting in the 750W power supply if it were called for. That's just me, though, and I'm still inclined toward the video card maybe being a bad one, not that it's inadequate.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    22 Feb 2016 #6
    Join Date : May 2015
    Finland, Vantaa
    Posts : 424
    Win 10 pro, creators

    had the same problems with HD 6970 - it just went relaxing - it started after 2-3hours of gaming and crash, then the gaming went smaller amount of time until i couldnt launch a single game cause it crashed immediately
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    22 Feb 2016 #7
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 18
    windows 10 64 bit
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by batlhilz View Post
    had the same problems with HD 6970 - it just went relaxing - it started after 2-3hours of gaming and crash, then the gaming went smaller amount of time until i couldnt launch a single game cause it crashed immediately
    When you got a new card it stopped happening?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    22 Feb 2016 #8
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 18
    windows 10 64 bit
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    I looked up ntoskrnl.exe and hit on the Tom's Hardware site. Go here Ntoskrnl Windows 10 and see if anything helps you there.

    This tells me it could even be your motherboard. Although, generally, high video usage generally will get you errors, so it could be the video card. Or even faulty RAM. I think the PSU would be the least suspect of all, then the motherboard, you say RAM is fine, so for me, I'd have the video card checked.

    Are you playing only one game or several? If only one, that could be suspect also.
    I will take a look at that link but the reason I think it's the video card is because when the PC crashes it's displaying a completely red screen with no text which leads me to believe the gpu is failing. If none of those solutions in the link work I will probably rma my GPU, then my motherboard. I ran the newest version of memtest86+ and got 10 passes with zero errors, the RAM or ram slots on the motherboard shouldn't be a problem. This red screen crash is happening with every game, the more demanding the game the quicker it crashes.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    22 Feb 2016 #9

    are you using both the 4 and three pin power connectors? Red screen is usually down to faulty gpu ram if your cards getting enough power , nothing is overclocked and its seated correctly and you have up to date drivers correctly installed you may have to rma it , do you have a friend with another system you can try it in?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    22 Feb 2016 #10
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 18
    windows 10 64 bit
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Archie123 View Post
    are you using both the 4 and three pin power connectors? Red screen is usually down to faulty gpu ram if your cards getting enough power , nothing is overclocked and its seated correctly and you have up to date drivers correctly installed you may have to rma it , do you have a friend with another system you can try it in?
    I have both the 6 pin and 8 pin connected to the gpu, I ever tried another 6 and 8 pin connector, nothing is over clocked and I have done a clean install of several drivers, the dump files say memory management is the issue so I can only assume vram since my RAM is good. No I don't know anyone with a gaming pc
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Activated Win10 on defective laptop, how to transfer key to new laptop
Hello, I bought a laptop for a client, wiped and formatted the hard drive that had Windows 8.1 Home. Installed Windows 10 Pro. And activated it with a purchased key. When I started working on it, there were a lot of issues, and a defective touch...
Windows Updates and Activation
Faulty battery might cause a unsuccessful Windows 10 installation.
I have a Lenovo Z710 laptop with a defective battery. After 2 failed attempts to install Windows 10, I tried again, this time I uninstalled Avast antivirus and disconnected from the Internet when Windows 10 was downloaded. I also removed my laptop...
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums