Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    18 Feb 2016 #1
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 38
    Windows 10

    Dell BIOS Update - Should I ?


    Windows 10 on a Dell XPS8900 desktop tower. I am getting a message telling me there is a Dell BIOS update available and recommending that I do it.

    In the systray, there is a Dell icon that says my system is up to date.

    Should I ignore the BIOS update? Sounds major and I'm nervous about it.
    Thanks, cb
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    18 Feb 2016 #2
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,509
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    How is your PC working?? If it's not having any issues I wouldn't.

    Even BIOS updates make me nervous..
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    18 Feb 2016 #3
    Join Date : Mar 2015
    Philadelphia
    Posts : 1,171
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    For home-built systems, I only do so if the BIOS update mentions something that applies to my set up, such as support for a new processor I might upgrade or better memory timings. On an OEM system, like a Dell, I always do. The hardware is controlled and chosen by one company and it's been tested quite a bit before being released. As long as the BIOS isn't listed as beta, I apply it. There is MUCH less risk updating the BIOS on an OEM system. Dell's do a great job of verifying the compatibility before proceeding.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    18 Feb 2016 #4
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,509
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
    For home-built systems, I only do so if the BIOS update mentions something that applies to my set up, such as support for a new processor I might upgrade or better memory timings. On an OEM system, like a Dell, I always do. The hardware is controlled and chosen by one company and it's been tested quite a bit before being released. As long as the BIOS isn't listed as beta, I apply it. There is MUCH less risk updating the BIOS on an OEM system. Dell's do a great job of verifying the compatibility before proceeding.
    I'll defer to you on this one because I haven't had to update a BIOS in some time and I'm not as familiar with what Dell is doing... I would be careful.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    18 Feb 2016 #5
    Join Date : Mar 2015
    Philadelphia
    Posts : 1,171
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    I've accidentally tried using the wrong BIOS file on a laptop recently. I had a 7250 and accidentally tried the 7450's file. I was immediately greeted with a message that the file was wrong and the process would be stopped.

    I've been using Dell laptops exclusively for 10 years now, and haven't had a single issue updating the BIOS. I would always keep the latest ones on a flash drive, so if I would work on a system, I'd upgrade the BIOS, too.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    18 Feb 2016 #6
    Join Date : May 2015
    Posts : 59
    Windows 10

    Probably not worth the five minutes it would take you to flash it. Unless there is some outstanding issue that you know it will fix I wouldn't worry about it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    18 Feb 2016 #7
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 38
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    I'm not having problems, so I'll not do it.
    Thanks, cb
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    18 Feb 2016 #8
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Posts : 321
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by abredt View Post
    Windows 10 on a Dell XPS8900 desktop tower. I am getting a message telling me there is a Dell BIOS update available and recommending that I do it.

    In the systray, there is a Dell icon that says my system is up to date.

    Should I ignore the BIOS update? Sounds major and I'm nervous about it.
    Thanks, cb
    I have Dell XPS 8900. I went to there web site to see what was updated. This is what I saw.

    "Dell XPS 8900 System BIOS

    This package provides the Dell System BIOS update and is supported on Dell XPS 8900 for Windows and DOS Operating Systems.
    Fixes & Enhancements
    Enhancements
    - Improved system stability for virtual machine environment
    - Improved system stability for long Media playback.
    - Updated Dell Diagnostic to 4302.15"

    I downloaded the file, but I'm not going to install it yet. I'm not having any problems that I think that will fix. If it don't go correct, you end up with a black brick on your desk. I've never updated a BIOS.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    18 Feb 2016 #9
    Join Date : Mar 2015
    Philadelphia
    Posts : 1,171
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    I downloaded the file, but I'm not going to install it yet. I'm not having any problems that I think that will fix. If it don't go correct, you end up with a black brick on your desk. I've never updated a BIOS.
    Most systems have some type of recovery process built-in. Updating a BIOS is no where near as dangerous as it used to be 10-15 years ago. It's a pretty simple, painless process now.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    19 Feb 2016 #10
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 38
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    What kind of problems might need a BIOS update?
    Thanks, cb
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved trying to update bios need help
I've been looking for a bios update for my pc but I cant find one that will work for windows 10 and to be honest I don't understand bios updating but heres the specs. any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Manufacturer: elitegroup...
Drivers and Hardware
Weird BSODs after BIOS update
I wanted to update my machine so I downloaded the newest BIOS from manufacturer's site and flashed it. When I booted into Windows 10 I saw some strange stuttering. When the startup programs were loading my cursor was lagging hard and after a while...
BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Should i update my BIOS Drivers?
Should I update my BIOS Drivers? Actually, it takes a minute for the PC to boot... The boot time is extremely slow. That's why I'm thinking of updating my BIOS Drivers. Thanks :) Specs: Motherboard: MSI 880GMS - E41(FX) CPU: AMD FX-6300 GPU:...
Drivers and Hardware
How to install Win10 on Dell XPS 410 without BSOD using BIOS 'Raid On'
I've have an 8 year old Dell XPS 410 that has had a number of upgrades, to include a new video card and solid state drive. It is currently running great with Win7 but I am probably going to take MS up on their offer for a free upgrade and go with...
Installation and Upgrade
Solved How do I update my BIOS?
Dear All, I am totally new to BIOS upgrading so please ignore if my question sounds too stupid. My current BIOS version is v1708- 24/10/2013. When I checked my mobo's support site, i found that there are at least 6 versions of the BIOS that got...
Drivers and Hardware
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums