1.    14 Feb 2016 #1
    Join Date : Feb 2016
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10

    I recently built a computer, and I cannot connect the hard drive.


    I built a computer with an SSD, and a hard drive, so I decided to boot my OS onto my SSD so that it would boot faster. I did that, and now that I have my computer working, I need to find a way to connect my hard drive. It is manually connected with both cables from the power supply and the motherboard, and shows up in the BIOS. Whenever I go to windows, the computer says that I only have 3 drives, and optic, boot drive (my SSD), and another hard drive that only has 300 megabits. I go back to the BIOS to see how much space my hard drive (I know that it should me 1 terabytes) has. It has 1 terabyte.
    Thanks in advance
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    14 Feb 2016 #2
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Forever West
    Posts : 3,913
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, Win7 Home, Linux Mint

    Quote Originally Posted by asadlittlespud View Post
    I built a computer with an SSD, and a hard drive, so I decided to boot my OS onto my SSD so that it would boot faster. I did that, and now that I have my computer working, I need to find a way to connect my hard drive. It is manually connected with both cables from the power supply and the motherboard, and shows up in the BIOS. Whenever I go to windows, the computer says that I only have 3 drives, and optic, boot drive (my SSD), and another hard drive that only has 300 megabits. I go back to the BIOS to see how much space my hard drive (I know that it should me 1 terabytes) has. It has 1 terabyte.
    Thanks in advance
    The "another hard drive that only has 300 megabits" most likely is Mega Bytes, 300MB, not bits. 8 bits = 1 Byte. The long-standing significance is b = bits and B = Bytes.
    Did you look in Computer Management, Disk management section to see if the 1TB drive is seen and has any partitions? If the 1TB is not new the 300MB would be quite normal but you should also have a larger partition. If you don't you can create and format it there then assign a drive letter before it can be seen in File Explorer [renamed from Windows Explorer].
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    15 Feb 2016 #3
    Join Date : Feb 2016
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    The "another hard drive that only has 300 megabits" most likely is Mega Bytes, 300MB, not bits. 8 bits = 1 Byte. The long-standing significance is b = bits and B = Bytes.
    Did you look in Computer Management, Disk management section to see if the 1TB drive is seen and has any partitions? If the 1TB is not new the 300MB would be quite normal but you should also have a larger partition. If you don't you can create and format it there then assign a drive letter before it can be seen in File Explorer [renamed from Windows Explorer].
    I do know the hierarchy of SI prefixes , but I misspoke about the drive size. It says 300 Megabytes. I did look in computer management, but I am only able to view the properties about the drive. It says that I have my Samsung drive, and my Western Digital drive, but I am unable to see how much space the drive has on it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    15 Feb 2016 #4
    Join Date : Feb 2016
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    The "another hard drive that only has 300 megabits" most likely is Mega Bytes, 300MB, not bits. 8 bits = 1 Byte. The long-standing significance is b = bits and B = Bytes.
    Did you look in Computer Management, Disk management section to see if the 1TB drive is seen and has any partitions? If the 1TB is not new the 300MB would be quite normal but you should also have a larger partition. If you don't you can create and format it there then assign a drive letter before it can be seen in File Explorer [renamed from Windows Explorer].
    I was actually able to find the problem. The 300MB File was a small allotment of my 1tb hard drive, so I made a new one assigned with a letter. Thanks for the help
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    15 Feb 2016 #5
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Forever West
    Posts : 3,913
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, Win7 Home, Linux Mint

    Quote Originally Posted by asadlittlespud View Post
    I was actually able to find the problem. The 300MB File was a small allotment of my 1tb hard drive, so I made a new one assigned with a letter. Thanks for the help
    You're welcome.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Hard drive inaccessible after upgrade - (apps stored on drive run)
Okay, here's a weird one. And of the searching I've done, it seems others who've had this problem have had encryption, which I don't. Problem: When I click on my H: drive or try to access it from the command line, it gives me an access denied...
Drivers and Hardware
Hard drive won't boot on one specific computer
I have a Toshiba Satellite S55-A5294 laptop computer. It is running Windows 10. I had the drive encrypted using Jetico's BestCrypt full disk encryption. Several weeks ago, I was using Windows, put the computer to sleep, and when I came back an...
General Support
External 1TB hard drive(Iomega - seagate inside) RAW drive - HELP
I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and post that It was working fine without any issues. I have two external drive connected to it. 1. 1 TB Iomega powered drive. - now RAW 2. 2TB seagate external drive. The 1tb drive suddenly became RAW and I...
Drivers and Hardware
Solved Clone secondary hard drive to new hard drive
Hi! Bought a replacement secondary hard drive, but want to know best tool to clone it. My main drive is an SSD with Windows on, but I used Kari's tutorial to move the user folder on to a secondary hard drive, so just unsure on the best way to go...
Backup and Restore
Hard Drive\Non-Hard Drive Question - How Much Space ?
I have a lot of hard drives on quite a few pc's. I have always read that you should keep a minimum of 15% of free space on any hard drive, which I do on all of my hard drives (7 I think). I recently bought a LIVA MINI-PC and instead of a hard...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:41.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums