RAM Upgrade to 32GB, windows 10 won't start

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 2
    Windows 10 Pro
       #1

    RAM Upgrade to 32GB, windows 10 won't start


    I recently purchased 32GB of Crucial DDR3 to upgrade my PC. My mother board supports up to 32GB (4 x 8). Currently I have 16GB installed (4 x 4) Running Windows 10 64 Bit Pro installed on my 128GB SSD. When I change out the memory, and boot up the PC, it gets past my BIOS, and boots to the OS, the black screen appears with the blue windows logo, and after a few minutes, the white loading pin wheel appears at the bottom. The PC then sits in this state indefinetly. When I with the ram back to my original 16GB configuration, the PC boots instantly as expected.

    Not sure if there are some extra steps for Win 10 to install additional memory. Not sure if MS ties the Win 10 reg keys to Hardware config?

    Thanks.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 17,272
    Windows 11 Pro
       #2

    This is what I would do:

    With the 16gb installed and Windows 10 running, use Win+R for the run dialog. Run msconfig. Select the boot tab. Check the box for safe mode, leave everything else alone. Do not restart when it asks to. Go to the normal power icon, hold down shift key when you click shutdown.

    After the shutdown, install the 32gb RAM. Restart the computer. It should boot into safe mode. Go to settings, system, about. See if the 32gb shows up in safe mode (if it boots into safe mode).

    To get out of safe mode, go back to msconfig and uncheck the safe mode block and restart. It will be a start at troubleshooting anyway.

    If it won't boot into safe mode, then put the 16gb back in and restart, it will go into safe mode - use msconfig to uncheck the safe mode check box and restart to normal.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 2
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #3

    I will check this out and see if maybe getting it into Safe mode and will register the new config with Windows.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 2,790
    Linux Mint 20.1 Win10Prox64
       #4

    1. Double check with your MB manual if the RAM is on the compatibily list
    2. Make sure all the RAM sticks are firmly seated
    3. Go into BIOS, under System Status and check for Total Physical RAM. Should be 32GB
    4. Most of the time, The RAM voltage is set to Auto, manually set the voltage according to the RAM Spec.
    5. If all fails, relax the RAM timing a little bit.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 7,128
    Windows 10 Pro Insider
       #5

    Try 2x8 and see if the computer will boot. If it does shut down and take out the memory and try the other two 8GB sticks. You may have some bad memory.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 2,790
    Linux Mint 20.1 Win10Prox64
       #6

    Winuser said:
    Try 2x8 and see if the computer will boot. If it does shut down and take out the memory and try the other two 8GB sticks. You may have some bad memory.
    Yep. Good suggestion also. However, I would try with one stick at a time to better isolate the bad one.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 7,128
    Windows 10 Pro Insider
       #7

    topgundcp said:
    Yep. Good suggestion also. However, I would try with one stick at a time to better isolate the bad one.
    I didn't know you could use just one stick. I always thought it had to be done in pairs. Learn something new every day. :)
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 1,366
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #8

    Winuser said:
    I didn't know you could use just one stick. I always thought it had to be done in pairs. Learn something new every day. :)
    It can be run as a single stick, but you loose out on some performance gains that dual channel gives you. The amount of gain is debatable and varies by use, but most will agree the performance is better in a dual channel setup versus single channel.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 1
    Windows 10
       #9

    Hello guys,

    I'm having an issue with booting in windows 10 after upgrading ram.

    I have 2x4gb Cruical Ballistic Sport DDR3 1600Mhz (1.5v) and then I upgraded it with 2x8GB, same company, same model, identical.
    Here's the thing, before updating bios to UEFI (Gigabyte ZA-68X-UD4-B3-it supports up to 32gb-8gb dimm) I didn't even get in the windows with 16gb. Windows repair center or something came up. Everytime some other file was corrupt or missing.. But now I get in, but only when I install 2x4gb and 1x8gb but can't get in with 2x8gb, that's weird right? Or not, I just don't know a lot about these things.... BIOS recognizes all 24, if I put em all in. Tried increasing voltages but nothing helps, didnt go higher than 1.7. I'm confused and it's driving me crazy.

    Maybe I would have gotten in with 2x4 and 1x8 on previous bios firmware, can't remember if I tried or not.
    But still, 2x8GB should work fine, right?

    Tried almost every solution posted on forums, I need help.

    Thanks!
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 4,439
    Win 11 Pro 22000.652
       #10

    alachofa said:
    Hello guys,

    I'm having an issue with booting in windows 10 after upgrading ram.

    I have 2x4gb Cruical Ballistic Sport DDR3 1600Mhz (1.5v) and then I upgraded it with 2x8GB, same company, same model, identical.
    Here's the thing, before updating bios to UEFI (Gigabyte ZA-68X-UD4-B3-it supports up to 32gb-8gb dimm) I didn't even get in the windows with 16gb. Windows repair center or something came up. Everytime some other file was corrupt or missing.. But now I get in, but only when I install 2x4gb and 1x8gb but can't get in with 2x8gb, that's weird right? Or not, I just don't know a lot about these things.... BIOS recognizes all 24, if I put em all in. Tried increasing voltages but nothing helps, didnt go higher than 1.7. I'm confused and it's driving me crazy.

    Maybe I would have gotten in with 2x4 and 1x8 on previous bios firmware, can't remember if I tried or not.
    But still, 2x8GB should work fine, right?

    Tried almost every solution posted on forums, I need help.

    Thanks!
    You might have done better to start a new thread, rather than appending to an old one.

    Is the Crucial RAM their CT4192350 kit? Should be OK.

    I trust that you tried the 2X8 DIMMs in the slots where the 2X4 worked.

    Does it help if you try them at the default frequency for the board? (What's that - 1333MHz?)

    You could try running memtest86+ (http://www.memtest.org/). That can be run from a bootable CD or USB drive, so there's no need to be able to get into Windows.

    Good luck.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:05.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums