Windows 10: How Long Does It Take to Open Devices & Printers? Solved

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1.    03 Nov 2016 #31

    shimshom said: View Post
    You can always create a new Device Metadata key and then a new PreventDeviceMetadataFromNetwork Dword with a value of 1 and see if it helps
    I've put a shortcut to Win10's SETTINGS > DEVICES on my desktop. It displays the same info as DEVICES & PRINTERS and does display instantly, though the info is catagorized so does not offer the "all at once" view that D&P does. I really don't care for the Fisher Price icons in DEVICES but can live with them for the instant display that it offers.

    Thanks,
    mck
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    03 Nov 2016 #32

    OldMike65 said: View Post
    Takes less than a sec here, going thru control panel, don't see what the big deal is thou...
    Hi OldMike65,

    Try clicking on CONTROL PANEL > DEVICES & PRINTERS, then look away for 61 seconds before you can see the results. It is extremely irritating after having Win 8 and below display D&P almost instantly.

    Best regards,
    mck
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 28,586
    Windows10Pro 64Bit - Build 14393.1198
       03 Nov 2016 #33

    mck said: View Post
    Hi OldMike65,

    Try clicking on CONTROL PANEL > DEVICES & PRINTERS, then look away for 61 seconds before you can see the results. It is extremely irritating after having Win 8 and below display D&P almost instantly.

    Best regards,
    mck
    Like I said earlier, I did that and it takes about 1 sec to view DEVICES & PRINTERS on my Windows 10.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 21
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       03 Nov 2016 #34

    OldMike65 said: View Post
    Takes less than a sec here, going thru control panel, don't see what the big deal is thou...
    Well for you & others with < 1 sec it does = "no big deal". For us with 90+ seconds, we have to find work arounds just to access printer status, etc. So yes, there are work-arounds, but WTF these should not be necessary...
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 6,115
    Windows X (various flavours)
       03 Nov 2016 #35

    sandra said: View Post
    Well for you & others with < 1 sec it does = "no big deal". For us with 90+ seconds, we have to find work arounds just to access printer status, etc. So yes, there are work-arounds, but WTF these should not be necessary...
    It is hard to imagine troubles, that never occurred to you... My first advice (at the beginning of this thread) didn't really help a lot.

    I don't know if this will lead to any solution, but try this program latency monitor and maybe it will show which process is responsible for this delay. It is more often used with audio and video problems, but worth a try...

    There are some pro user here, that are more familiar with this program and if it shows anything, we may draw their attention here.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    30 Dec 2016 #36

    OldMike65 said: View Post
    Takes less than a sec here, going thru control panel, don't see what the big deal is thou...
    sandra said: View Post
    Well for you & others with < 1 sec it does = "no big deal". For us with 90+ seconds, we have to find work arounds just to access printer status, etc. So yes, there are work-arounds, but WTF these should not be necessary...
    Hi Sandra,

    By chance, do you have a HP printer?

    Reason I ask is that I just reduced the "Devices & Printers" delay in my i7, Win10 PC from 1min 40 sec (today's delay) down to 13 seconds.

    I had an older HP laser printer which I just replaced with a new HP laser printer. Before installing the new printer, I deleted the driver for the old printer in Device Management. Suspecting that the driver for old HP printer might be contributing to the "Devices & Printers" delay, I checked it before deleting the old driver and after deleting it. Before the deletion, the delay was 1min 40sec. After the deletion the delay is now 13 seconds.

    If anyone else is experiencing a long delay to get the "Devices & Printers" display, do you have a HP printer?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 1,573
    Windows 10 Home x64 (Laptop), Windows 10 Pro x64 (Desktop)
       30 Dec 2016 #37

    Yes, I have aln oldish HP Laserjet P1005! I'm not going to change it though and I rarely use Devices & Printers so I'm not too bothered about the issue. I can quickly access my printers at All Control Panel Items\Printers which is much quicker than using Devices & Printers
    Last edited by Steve C; 30 Dec 2016 at 17:11.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    30 Dec 2016 #38

    Steve C said: View Post
    Yes, I have aln oldish HP Laserjet P1005! I'm not going to change it though and I rarely use Devices & Printers so I'm not too bothered about the issus. I can quickly access my printers at All Control Panel Items\Printers which is much quicker than using Devices & Printers
    Hmmm, another HP printer user who has slow opening of Devices & Printers. Wonder if anyone who does not have any HP printer, also has slow opening of Devices & Printers?

    Regarding what I underlined in your reply above, I looked in my Win10 control panels on both my desktop and laptop and I don't see a "Printers" option. I only see "Devices & Printers" on both PCs. Could you expand on that statement?

    As AndreTen previously mentioned, one can see the modern "equivalent" of Devices & Printers by going SETTINGS > DEVICES. And that is instant for me. But I prefer the looks and display everything at once functionality of "Devices & Printers" so I'm still trying to figure out why it's under 5 seconds for some but can be over a minute for others. Got mine down to about 13 seconds now but shooting for under 5 seconds .

    Thanks for posting your info,
    mck
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 1,573
    Windows 10 Home x64 (Laptop), Windows 10 Pro x64 (Desktop)
       30 Dec 2016 #39

    mck said: View Post
    Hmmm, another HP printer user who has slow opening of Devices & Printers. Wonder if anyone who does not have any HP printer, also has slow opening of Devices & Printers?

    Regarding what I underlined in your reply above, I looked in my Win10 control panels on both my desktop and laptop and I don't see a "Printers" option. I only see "Devices & Printers" on both PCs. Could you expand on that statement?

    As AndreTen previously mentioned, one can see the modern "equivalent" of Devices & Printers by going SETTINGS > DEVICES. And that is instant for me. But I prefer the looks and display everything at once functionality of "Devices & Printers" so I'm still trying to figure out why it's under 5 seconds for some but can be over a minute for others. Got mine down to about 13 seconds now but shooting for under 5 seconds .

    Thanks for posting your info,
    mck
    The setting All Control Panel Items\Printers was gleaned from the Classic Shell Menu I used. I sent a shortcut to the desktop which works and looks like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016_12_30_22_33_101.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	115368
    However, you don't see the printers setting in Control Panel.

    You can install a printers shortcut without using Classic Shell. Run the command shell:PrintersFolder This opens the classic printer folder. Then drag the address to your desktop to create a printers shortcut. See https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html for all shell commands.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 2,033
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64
       30 Dec 2016 #40

    All my PC's open it almost instantly.
    One of the followings might be the cause:
    1. The program is trying to discover all the devices in your PC and on the networks. Once in a while the Router DNS cache is expired causing the PC to re-discover all devices on the network, this is why to better assign a static IP for each device on the network in the router.
    2. One of the HD/SSD is corrupted and the program is having hard time to discover.
    3. Built in bluetooth device. By default, the services for this device is set to "Manual (triggered)". Open the services, set all related bluetooth device services to "Automatic"
      NOTE: If you don't have any bluetooth device then disable these services.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Related Threads
I have two identical BT headphone sets that show up on the Devices and Printers page as the same name. Is there a way to rename one of them? I could rename one in the Sound properties box, but it did not change in the Devices and Printers page or...
devices & printers in Drivers and Hardware
Control Panel > Devices & Printers takes about 30 seconds to open. Any idea why? Never had this issue in previous Win versions. Thanks! ...Steve
How to Add or Remove Devices and Printers from This PC in Windows 10 Devices and Printers (aka: Device Stage), gives you a quick view and access of all of your connected and wireless devices on your computer in one place. By viewing the contents...
Hi I've just upgraded to build 10240 and have found I cannot access Devices and Printers and I need to install a new printer driver as well as remove unwanted drivers for devices I do not have. I've tried all sorts of ways to access the dialogue...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:51.
Find Us