The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)


  1. Posts : 6
    ?
       #1

    The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)


    hello,recently i got this problem after i do all in place upgrade win 10
    whenever i plug in any kin usb/external harddrive the sound notification appear, but the device is not.
    i check it in device manager it say

    "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)There are no compatible drivers for this device.
    To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver. "

    i cant use the device (wireless usb keyboard/mouse/usb/external hardisk) unless i restart the laptop
    i can use it after i restart (still error 28), but if i unplug it then the problem will occur again, so i will need to restart again in order to use that device.

    what i have done is :
    1. trying update driver from device manager -> it say "windows cant find this device driver"
    2. uninstall it, then let it automatically update -> still not work
    3. i tried to download some driver from my manufacturer but still not working ( im not sure if it is the right driver)

    my old laptop spec:
    sony vaio SVE14126CVB
    os: Win 10 Home Single Language
    version : 10.0.0.10586 Build 10.586

    *note: if you suggest something like installing dirver etc please put details what kind driver it is (chipset/usb?/etc..),i'm totally newbie here. it would be good if there is guide "how to get right driver"
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 2,818
    Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 21H1 (build 19043.1202)
       #2

    Hi see if this link will help you
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findby...e-28-error.htm

    I would read it all through first to make sure you understand it
    Before you even consider trying the fix
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 6
    ?
    Thread Starter
       #3

    hTconeM9user said:
    Hi see if this link will help you
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findby...e-28-error.htm

    I would read it all through first to make sure you understand it
    Before you even consider trying the fix
    Before i did all in place upgrade the previous it works fine except the windows got so many corrupt updates
    but after i did upgrade win10 build i got this problem error 28
    so it means that the missing driver is because the driver is not compatible with this windows version?

    so i dont think step 5 in the link will the problem? because the hardware works fine in the previous windows version/build
    already did step 1 to reboot but the problem still exist
    and for step 4 i already check win update but no result,did searching but didnt found the patch/pack to solve this problem

    as for step 2 and 3, i hope you can guide me how to find the driver. im tootaly noob here. i dont even the function of each driver that i downloaded. is it intel chippset driver that cause this problem?
    Sony Asia Pacific
    there is plenty driver in the list but i didnt know which is the right one

    Attachment 61334

    ^the problem, everytime i plug a device on the usb hub, it will appear on the unknown device
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 2,818
    Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 21H1 (build 19043.1202)
       #4

    A driver for an 8.1 system will work ok.
    On my laptop my drivers are kept up to date via Auslogic update driver
    It is not free and I have used them for years.
    Have you seen if Microsoft has one as sometimes they have a driver that works.
    Apart from that I have run out of ideas
    You could try that unsigned driver if it does not work then you could roll back
    Make sure you do a restore point before you try anything then if it does not work you can go back to the restore you have just created
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 11,210
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #5

    Hirodato said:
    Before i did all in place upgrade the previous it works fine except the windows got so many corrupt updates
    but after i did upgrade win10 build i got this problem error 28
    so it means that the missing driver is because the driver is not compatible with this windows version?

    so i dont think step 5 in the link will the problem? because the hardware works fine in the previous windows version/build
    already did step 1 to reboot but the problem still exist
    and for step 4 i already check win update but no result,did searching but didnt found the patch/pack to solve this problem

    as for step 2 and 3, i hope you can guide me how to find the driver. im tootaly noob here. i dont even the function of each driver that i downloaded. is it intel chippset driver that cause this problem?
    Sony Asia Pacific
    there is plenty driver in the list but i didnt know which is the right one

    Attachment 61334

    ^the problem, everytime i plug a device on the usb hub, it will appear on the unknown device

    Hi there

    Go to the EVENTS panel and you should see something like this : (note this is just an example from my system - your's will be different of course).


    The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)-details.png

    Now with the Vendor info you should be able to google for the proper driver - or at least get the hardware vendor ID from which you can go to a website.

    Search on the characters between the \...and \ symbols or even just the first bit until you find a match.

    Cheers

    jimbo
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 6
    ?
    Thread Starter
       #6

    hTconeM9user said:
    A driver for an 8.1 system will work ok.
    On my laptop my drivers are kept up to date via Auslogic update driver
    It is not free and I have used them for years.
    Have you seen if Microsoft has one as sometimes they have a driver that works.
    Apart from that I have run out of ideas
    You could try that unsigned driver if it does not work then you could roll back
    Make sure you do a restore point before you try anything then if it does not work you can go back to the restore you have just created
    ok thanks for reply

    jimbo45 said:
    Hi there

    Go to the EVENTS panel and you should see something like this : (note this is just an example from my system - your's will be different of course).


    The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)-details.png

    Now with the Vendor info you should be able to google for the proper driver - or at least get the hardware vendor ID from which you can go to a website.

    Search on the characters between the \...and \ symbols or even just the first bit until you find a match.

    Cheers

    jimbo
    oh, thats what im looking for. so it was on event tab.
    thanks for reply.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:49.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums