Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    25 Jan 2016 #1
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 14
    Windows 10

    Upgraded windows 10, weird disk partitions?


    Hi guys
    i upgraded my windows 7 to 10, i looked into my disk partitions and i found a weird partition on my C/OS Drive.
    there is the C drive, system reserved, and another partition thats 450mb i dont know what this is.
    i have attached a screenshot of it too, i am unable to format it in disk management, or do anything to it.
    if i right click it the only option that comes up is "help"

    any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled.png  
    Last edited by pazy66; 25 Jan 2016 at 23:42.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    25 Jan 2016 #2
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 151
    Windows 10

    If I'm not mistaken, System Reserved is a partition that newly created for Windows 10 (normally 500MB) and the 450 is the partition been brought through the upgrade from previous Windows.

    To get rid of it, clean install is the best choice. During the setup, delete all those partitions including the partition to install Windows. It'll be combined into 1 unallocated partition, then proceed the installation. At the end, Windows will only create 2 partitions, 1 for the OS and 1 for the reserved.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    25 Jan 2016 #3
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,552
    Windows 10 Pro

    The 450mb partition contains the WindowsRE (Recovery Environment). If you hold down shift key when you click restart from the power icon you will enter the recovery environment - that is what the 450mb partition contains. It does not contain the actual recovery image that would be needed to re-install Windows - just the troubleshooting menu options.

    BTW, the screenshot you posted is not your disk management screen.

    If you really want to see what is on it - and what is on any partition then install MiniTool Partition Wizard free. Right click on any partition and select explore.

    Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    25 Jan 2016 #4
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 14
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Private View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, System Reserved is a partition that newly created for Windows 10 (normally 500MB) and the 450 is the partition been brought through the upgrade from previous Windows.

    To get rid of it, clean install is the best choice. During the setup, delete all those partitions including the partition to install Windows. It'll be combined into 1 unallocated partition, then proceed the installation. At the end, Windows will only create 2 partitions, 1 for the OS and 1 for the reserved.

    so the 450mb file is of no real use?


    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    The 450mb partition contains the WindowsRE (Recovery Environment). If you hold down shift key when you click restart from the power icon you will enter the recovery environment - that is what the 450mb partition contains. It does not contain the actual recovery image that would be needed to re-install Windows - just the troubleshooting menu options.
    im confused, Private stated its a partition been brought over from windows 7?...


    ok so it holds the WindowsRE. i thought windows only created 2 partitions for the OS? why is there now a third?...
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    25 Jan 2016 #5
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,552
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by pazy66 View Post
    im confused, Private stated its a partition been brought over from windows 7?...
    And he was probably wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by pazy66 View Post
    ok so it holds the WindowsRE. i thought windows only created 2 partitions for the OS? why is there now a third?...
    Because the Windows 10 had to create a recovery environment that is compatible with Windows 10, but it leaves the old recovery partitions in tact in case the computer has the capability to do recovery from them.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    25 Jan 2016 #6
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 14
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    And he was probably wrong.
    it does hold the windowsRE i used the program stated and it contains files pertaining to recovery and troubleshooting,
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    26 Jan 2016 #7
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 151
    Windows 10

    As I said before "if I'm not mistaken". I was assuming without looking your Disk Management status and I made a wrong statement... sorry.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    26 Jan 2016 #8
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 14
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Private View Post
    As I said before "if I'm not mistaken". I was assuming without looking your Disk Management status and I made a wrong statement... sorry.
    this is strange however, i am used to windows making 2 partitions, not 3...
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    26 Jan 2016 #9
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by pazy66 View Post
    this is strange however, i am used to windows making 2 partitions, not 3...
    I have 3 partitions set up when I installed 10.. Image:

      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    27 Jan 2016 #10
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 151
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by pazy66 View Post
    this is strange however, i am used to windows making 2 partitions, not 3...
    I'm not sure why there was a difference, this one is only 2 created by the setup.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dm1.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	60951

    The size also varies.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
too many partitions on disk
My Windows 10 is an upgrade to my SSD Drive 0. It now has 7 partitions none of which I created. (picture at http://imgur.com/a/edymi) Partition 1 -:/ 300 MB healthy (recovery partition) Partition 2 -:/ 260 MB healthy (EFI system partition)...
Drivers and Hardware
Just upgraded and using dual monitor and I have this weird white bar
54698Not sure how big this image will be but I have this white bar on my 2nd screen and I cant figure how to get rid of it.
General Support
Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is yadayad
So basically I'm trying to boot an ISO to windows 10 home and I used Rufus for it. Idk if I used for wrong settings but it says: the selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, windows can only be installed to GPT disks.
Installation and Upgrade
Just upgraded. Problem with disk space at 100%
Just upgraded, but I noticed some performance issues. So I checked in task manager and saw nothing wrong on the processes tab (http://imgur.com/iRXIhRB). Notice it says 2% Disk Usage. But when I go to the Performance tab, I see something different....
Performance & Maintenance
Disk Partitions - Are they all needed ?
Hi My PC did have a 2TB SATA Disk running Windows 8.1 Pro. I relegated this to be a second disk and installed an EVO 240GB SSD as my main boot disk. This has Windows 8.1 Pro installed and has been running for over a year. I've now upgraded to...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums