Windows 10 drivers confusion

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

  1. Posts : 16,278
    W10Prox64
       #21

    doriandiaconu said:
    I had nothing installed before. I just ran Windows Update on a clean install (no drivers, no nothing)
    Ah, okay. Well, once all the Windows Updates are completed and there are no more, go into Device Manager and make sure you don't see any "bangs" (exclamation marks or question marks) on any devices. If you do, then right click that device and run "update driver". If nothing is found, you can try looking at the site of the manufacturer.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 213
    Thread Starter
       #22

    simrick said:
    Ah, okay. Well, once all the Windows Updates are completed and there are no more, go into Device Manager and make sure you don't see any "bangs" (exclamation marks or question marks) on any devices. If you do, then right click that device and run "update driver". If nothing is found, you can try looking at the site of the manufacturer.
    So before I restarted my PC I had a bang regarding the NVidia Display Driver. Updates were still listed as errors. I restarted it, no bang there. Just that the driver updates were still listed. My update progress stopped so I stopped the service and then restarted. No more updates for the hardware I got.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 127
    Windows 10 Pro
       #23

    I had the same issues, also a Lenovo (Erazer X510). I was getting constant BSODs after a clean install of Windows 10 Pro. It took me about a week of trying various drivers before I finally got it stable. Tried all sorts of combinations, really unsure what finally fixed it but certain it was audio and/or network (coincidentally all RealTek hardware...) . IMHO Lenovo drivers are "not the greatest".

    At this point I have Windows update set to not install drivers. I'm afraid that any driver replacement, particularly audio or network, will knock me back into the weeds. Conversely, I'm also afraid of my drivers getting out of date.

    Wish there was an easy way to backup drivers only so I could turn the driver updates back on yet be able to go back without full image restore. Yes, lots of driver software out there, most are PUPs if not outright malware...
    Last edited by wreckwriter; 17 Jan 2016 at 10:40.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 16,278
    W10Prox64
       #24

    wreckwriter said:
    I had the same issues, also a Lenovo (Erazer X510). I was getting constant BSODs after a clean install of Windows 10 Pro. It took me about a week of trying various drivers before I finally got it stable. Tried all sorts of combinations, really unsure what finally fixed it but certain it was audio and/or network (coincidentally all RealTek hardware...) . IMHO Lenovo drivers are "not the greatest".

    At this point I have Windows update set to not install drivers. I'm afraid that any driver replacement, particularly audio or network, will knock me back into the weeds. Conversely, I'm also afraid of my drivers getting out of date.

    Wish there was an easy way to backup drivers only so I could turn the driver updates back on yet be able to go back without full image restore. Yes, lots of driver software out there, most are PUPs if not outright malware...
    Driver Magician Lite will back up drivers "only" for you. The ones listed in RED are the one that are not included in the OS.
    You also can just "rollback driver" in Device Manager if one comes through that borks things.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 16,278
    W10Prox64
       #25

    doriandiaconu said:
    So before I restarted my PC I had a bang regarding the NVidia Display Driver. Updates were still listed as errors. I restarted it, no bang there. Just that the driver updates were still listed. My update progress stopped so I stopped the service and then restarted. No more updates for the hardware I got.
    So no bangs on anything in Device Manager - that's good. And, is everything working well?
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 213
    Thread Starter
       #26

    simrick said:
    So no bangs on anything in Device Manager - that's good. And, is everything working well?
    Until now. I'll mark it for now as solved. Thanks
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 16,278
    W10Prox64
       #27

    doriandiaconu said:
    Until now. I'll mark it for now as solved. Thanks
    You're quite welcome. You might want to also make a backup of your drivers, in case you need to revert in the future.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 1,484
    Win10 Pro
       #28

    simrick said:
    Driver Magician Lite will back up drivers "only" for you. The ones listed in RED are the one that are not included in the OS.
    You also can just "rollback driver" in Device Manager if one comes through that borks things.
    Thanks for the tip on Driver Magician, I've been looking for something like this. FYI, Windows complained about the signature for the Lite version but Norton Security found nothing amiss.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 16,278
    W10Prox64
       #29

    SoFine409 said:
    Thanks for the tip on Driver Magician, I've been looking for something like this. FYI, Windows complained about the signature for the Lite version but Norton Security found nothing amiss.
    Oh yeah, it's a great program, and I've been using it for years. Nothing else installs with it, and it's always been totally clean, not sure why Windows would complain...
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 213
    Thread Starter
       #30

    simrick said:
    Oh yeah, it's a great program, and I've been using it for years. Nothing else installs with it, and it's always been totally clean, not sure why Windows would complain...
    So I had BSOD again when I logged in into the Windows with the drivers downloaded/updated by MS update.

    I didn't check/change the RAMs yet, as the other 8GB will arrive tomorrow. Hope everything will run smooth after.

    One thing I noticed after I fresh installed the Windows is this partition (last one on the list)

    Windows 10 drivers confusion-untitled.png

    I read somewhere that it might be caused by not installing a proper driver. Should I stay with the drivers provided by Lenovo and disable MS updating my drivers?
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:07.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums