1.    14 Jan 2016 #1
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10

    USB hard drive Unknown and not initialised


    Hi I have a 1TB external USB hard drive, it is not showing up in 'my computer' the light on the hard drive is constantly flashing and randomly beeps and clicks when first plugged in, I have never heard this until today..
    I have tried it on two laptops, windows 7 and windows 10 and in a macbook, does not show up.
    I have tried a different cable from another USB device, still no luck.
    It appears in device manager which says it is running normally, I have tried un-installing and re-installing, no luck! In disk manager it says the disk is unknown and not initialised, see screenshot.
    Reading other forums suggest trying Minitool partition wizard it comes up but as 0GB, screenshot
    Please help me recover my device, it has a lot of data on it that I don't want to lose! I hope it is still there!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails disk manager.PNG   minotool.PNG  
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    14 Jan 2016 #2
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,600
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by freya306 View Post
    Hi I have a 1TB external USB hard drive, it is not showing up in 'my computer' the light on the hard drive is constantly flashing and randomly beeps and clicks when first plugged in, I have never heard this until today..


    Sounds like your Ext HDD has failed.

    Quote Originally Posted by freya306 View Post
    I have tried it on two laptops, windows 7 and windows 10 and in a macbook, does not show up.
    Quote Originally Posted by freya306 View Post
    I have tried a different cable from another USB device, still no luck.
    It appears in device manager which says it is running normally, I have tried un-installing and re-installing, no luck! In disk manager it says the disk is unknown and not initialised, see screenshot.
    Reading other forums suggest trying Minitool partition wizard it comes up but as 0GB, screenshot
    Please help me recover my device, it has a lot of data on it that I don't want to lose! I hope it is still there!
    Depending on the failure mode, you may be able to grab your data using a recovery program. However, with clicking noises, that seems to be a mechanical failure, and doesn't sound hopeful. Good luck!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    14 Jan 2016 #3
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    I've tried on EaseUS recovery however it doesn't appear on there as a drive to allow me to scan it
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    14 Jan 2016 #4
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,600
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by freya306 View Post
    I've tried on EaseUS recovery however it doesn't appear on there as a drive to allow me to scan it
    Try Recuva.

    What brand HDD is this? Western Digital?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    14 Jan 2016 #5
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    not coming up on recuva either, just cant see it as a drive to recover.
    yes its Western Digital.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    14 Jan 2016 #6
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    if i try 'not sure where to scan' and it scans everywhere it comes up with this message, I'm assuming thats my hard drive..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails recuva.PNG  
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    14 Jan 2016 #7
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,600
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by freya306 View Post
    if i try 'not sure where to scan' and it scans everywhere it comes up with this message, I'm assuming thats my hard drive..
    Looks like \\HarddiskVolume2 is your failed drive and this scanned your system drive. If you scroll down the window, do you see your files? Probably not.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    14 Jan 2016 #8
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    No, none of my files are there.
    Could re initialising the disk in disk manager then trying to recover the files be a possible solution?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    14 Jan 2016 #9
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,600
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by freya306 View Post
    No, none of my files are there.
    Could re initialising the disk in disk manager then trying to recover the files be a possible solution?
    Not sure - I don't know if that would do any more damage or if it would even initialize at this point (because it appears to be a mechanical failure).

    Depending on how important your data is and how badly you need it recovered, it may be time for a professional recovery service.

    Or, Spinrite might help, but it's not free.

    I know now is not a good time, but best practice is 3-2-1 for backups: 3 total, 2 alternating on-site and 1 off-site.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Unknown Hard Error
Hi All, I have been trying to resolve various issues with W10 (see other posts) and have been trying to use Safe mode to rule out possible configuration abnormalities. However, on both of my test machines, I get an error dialog titled: ...
General Support
Solved Hard drive inaccessible after upgrade - (apps stored on drive run)
Okay, here's a weird one. And of the searching I've done, it seems others who've had this problem have had encryption, which I don't. Problem: When I click on my H: drive or try to access it from the command line, it gives me an access denied...
Drivers and Hardware
Solved Clone secondary hard drive to new hard drive
Hi! Bought a replacement secondary hard drive, but want to know best tool to clone it. My main drive is an SSD with Windows on, but I used Kari's tutorial to move the user folder on to a secondary hard drive, so just unsure on the best way to go...
Backup and Restore
Hard Drive\Non-Hard Drive Question - How Much Space ?
I have a lot of hard drives on quite a few pc's. I have always read that you should keep a minimum of 15% of free space on any hard drive, which I do on all of my hard drives (7 I think). I recently bought a LIVA MINI-PC and instead of a hard...
General Support
Unknown Items on C Drive...
29894 Can I safely remove them?
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:37.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums