1.    06 Jan 2016 #1
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 14
    windows 10

    D4 and D5 ?


    I'm using an Intel D915GAG MoBo. I have a problem in that when I switch on the PSU the board kicks in without the start switch being pressed - no post, but the green board light comes on and fans spin. I pulled the cables from the board too but it's the same.

    I plugged in a test card and got the codes D4 and D5. I thought it may be a RAM problem looking at the codes on the book that came with it, but I have addressed that as best I can by checking the cards as per the manual even replacing them. Nothing on those codes on the web though. I have removed the board from the chassis, put on a new PSU, taken off all other cards and cables, reset BIOS, taken out and replaced the battery and checked for any defects etc on the board. I am at a loss. The problem first arose when I put in a wrong DDR card in the slot. I took it out again, and when I plugged in the PSU the fan spun for a second and the MB light came on. Now, after leaving it for an hour I came back switched it on and this is what I now have. Any ideas would be appreciated thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    07 Jan 2016 #2
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,616
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Not familiar with that MB but since you reset BIOS one thing my have reverted to factory default.
    Somewhere in BIOS there should be setting for startup and choice for what happens when power goes out. Something like: Resume on power out, keep it Off or something like that. I could not find MB instructions with BIOS settings.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    07 Jan 2016 #3
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 14
    windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Not familiar with that MB but since you reset BIOS one thing my have reverted to factory default.
    Somewhere in BIOS there should be setting for startup and choice for what happens when power goes out. Something like: Resume on power out, keep it Off or something like that. I could not find MB instructions with BIOS settings.
    Thanks, but theres no other hardware on the board now to stop it booting. I cant get to any settings because it wont boot that far. I think the board must be shot. This morning its gone back to a short fan spin again! Nothing loose either. Thanks again.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    07 Jan 2016 #4
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 2,954
    64bit Win 10 Pro ver 1709 Build 16299.125

    Do you get as far as the BIOS beep code when switching on? Does this give any clue?
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    07 Jan 2016 #5
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 14
    windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by philc43 View Post
    Do you get as far as the BIOS beep code when switching on? Does this give any clue?
    If I switch it on with no ram it beeps 3 times. But otherwise nothing except spinning fans.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    07 Jan 2016 #6
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 2,954
    64bit Win 10 Pro ver 1709 Build 16299.125

    OK, that would be expected, if the RAM is present do you get any beeps?

    Have you also tried changing the Jumper Block for different BIOS setup modes. There are three settings for Normal, Configure and Recovery. See if the configure setting (jumper pins 2-3) forces you to the BIOS menu.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    07 Jan 2016 #7
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 14
    windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by philc43 View Post
    OK, that would be expected, if the RAM is present do you get any beeps?

    Have you also tried changing the Jumper Block for different BIOS setup modes. There are three settings for Normal, Configure and Recovery. See if the configure setting (jumper pins 2-3) forces you to the BIOS menu.
    If I put in the wrong ram it beeps three times the same as when I leave it empty.

    I havent changed the jumper at all other than to cler the settings and then reverted it back to its position as shown in the manual. Or are you referring to something else here? I didnt know there were other settings. Ill have a look in the manual. Thanks
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:54.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums