Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    14 Dec 2015 #11
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Hartselle
    Posts : 488
    Windows 10 Pro 16299.125

    Quote Originally Posted by gpstoloff View Post
    My problem with the tool is that, every time I try to install it, I get the Russian version rather than the English version.

    Any suggestions?
    http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thr...pdate-MiniTool

    Use (WUMT --- download) link listed on page from above link.

    First you must download the tool (comes in both x86 and x64 versions) then download you preferred language ini file. Place language ini file in same directory as x86 and x64 files.

    This tool can give you complete control of Windows Update. You can first view available updates and then decide which ones you want to install. You can also hide updates you do not want. I have disabled Microsoft's Automatic Windows Update and I use this tool exclusively for all Windows Update in Windows 10, 8.1 and 7.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    17 Dec 2015 #12
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 7
    Windows 10

    Does it matter where the folder with the .exe and .ini files are located or is it an install and location is choosen for us?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    17 Dec 2015 #13
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Hartselle
    Posts : 488
    Windows 10 Pro 16299.125

    Quote Originally Posted by webbj View Post
    Does it matter where the folder with the .exe and .ini files are located or is it an install and location is choosen for us?
    Your choice. Make your own folder and call it whatever you like. The executables do not install anything. They are basically portable programs.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    17 Dec 2015 #14
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 7
    Windows 10

    The one thing I should have asked was whether I needed to turn the Windows Update service back on? I currently have it disabled.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    17 Dec 2015 #15
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Hartselle
    Posts : 488
    Windows 10 Pro 16299.125

    Quote Originally Posted by webbj View Post
    The one thing I should have asked was whether I needed to turn the Windows Update service back on? I currently have it disabled.
    Again your choice. WUMT and the native Windows Update in Windows 10 (Settings) both use the same Windows Update service. From my personal experience, I would recommend leaving Windows Update service set to its default of Manual. In addition you may want to consider setting the native Windows Update to Disabled. You can do that from the Automatic Updates dropdown (lower left corner of WUMT) to prevent WUMT and Windows Update from possibly running at the same time. You can manually check for updates in the native Windows Update at any time even when this is set to Disabled. Set in this manner you are now free to run WUMT to check for updates and pick the ones you want and yes even hide the ones you don't want.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    17 Dec 2015 #16
    Join Date : Mar 2015
    Posts : 120
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    I use this as an alternative to WU.

    Problem is, if you are running the Home version of Win10, Windows update will automatically install whatever updates are available for your system. Then if you happen to run WUMT, you will get the same updates, and, should you wish to install them, you will have installed the same update(s) twice. You have no option to prevent WU from installing updates in the Home version. In the Pro version, you can set WU to show you what updates are available but you have to click the 'download' then the 'install' icon before anything is installed. This gives you the opportunity to check via WUMT to see if you get the same updates as WU offers (you do, and sometimes more than that if there are driver updates, etc.)

    I also use 'Shut Up 10' to disable Peer-to-Peer Windows Updates (1 to 3), auto driver updates, auto app updates through WU as well as auto Window Updates (1 & 2).


    P.S. I also have 3 Japanese language files (for dictionary!!) installed when i check WUMT what updates are installed! I never seen this offered at any time for Windows 10 - either from WU or WUMT - weird!
    Last edited by AthanasianCreed; 17 Dec 2015 at 22:47.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    18 Dec 2015 #17
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Hartselle
    Posts : 488
    Windows 10 Pro 16299.125

    Quote Originally Posted by AthanasianCreed View Post
    I use this as an alternative to WU.

    Problem is, if you are running the Home version of Win10, Windows update will automatically install whatever updates are available for your system. Then if you happen to run WUMT, you will get the same updates, and, should you wish to install them, you will have installed the same update(s) twice. You have no option to prevent WU from installing updates in the Home version. In the Pro version, you can set WU to show you what updates are available but you have to click the 'download' then the 'install' icon before anything is installed. This gives you the opportunity to check via WUMT to see if you get the same updates as WU offers (you do, and sometimes more than that if there are driver updates, etc.)

    I also use 'Shut Up 10' to disable Peer-to-Peer Windows Updates (1 to 3), auto driver updates, auto app updates through WU as well as auto Window Updates (1 & 2).


    P.S. I also have 3 Japanese language files (for dictionary!!) installed when i check WUMT what updates are installed! I never seen this offered at any time for Windows 10 - either from WU or WUMT - weird!
    Have you tried disabling Automatic Updates in Windows Update via WUMT as I described in Post 15? For me this has eliminated the possibility of double updates. Realize that the Automatic Updates dropdown in WUMT changes how Windows Update checks for updates not how WUMT checks for updates. WUMT will never automatically check for updates. It is up to the user to decide when to run WUMT and what updates to install. WUMT is basically a manual user interface for the Windows update service.

    Also you do not have click both the "Download" then the "Install" icons to install updates. Once you have checked for updates and have selected the updates that you want simply click the "Install" icon. WUMT will then download and install the updates

    As for the 3 Japanese language file updates, I do not have a clue why they show in WUMT. I just ignore them.
    Last edited by tracit99; 18 Dec 2015 at 14:21.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    18 Dec 2015 #18
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by tracit99 View Post
    Again your choice. WUMT and the native Windows Update in Windows 10 (Settings) both use the same Windows Update service. From my personal experience, I would recommend leaving Windows Update service set to its default of Manual. In addition you may want to consider setting the native Windows Update to Disabled. You can do that from the Automatic Updates dropdown (lower left corner of WUMT) to prevent WUMT and Windows Update from possibly running at the same time. You can manually check for updates in the native Windows Update at any time even when this is set to Disabled. Set in this manner you are now free to run WUMT to check for updates and pick the ones you want and yes even hide the ones you don't want.
    Thanks for this explanation, very helpful.

    Can you also please advise on how WUMT interacts with the Windows device driver installation setting?

    IE Device Driver Automatic Installation - Turn On or Off in Windows 10?

    I currently have mine to 'No' using option 1 per the above referenced tutorial.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    18 Dec 2015 #19
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Hartselle
    Posts : 488
    Windows 10 Pro 16299.125

    Quote Originally Posted by dabl View Post
    Thanks for this explanation, very helpful.

    Can you also please advise on how WUMT interacts with the Windows device driver installation setting?

    IE Device Driver Automatic Installation - Turn On or Off in Windows 10?

    I currently have mine to 'No' using option 1 per the above referenced tutorial.
    I think the best answer I can give regarding the how WUMT interacts with the Windows device driver installation setting is to say I do not know. I do not think there would be any interaction between them, but that is just my personal opinion and I have no empirical evidence either way. If WUMT ever showed me a driver update I did not want I would select that update and then click the Hide icon (the icon with two arrows). WUMT will then hide the update and then begin a rescan for updates.
    Last edited by tracit99; 18 Dec 2015 at 14:24.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    19 Dec 2015 #20
    Join Date : Mar 2015
    Posts : 120
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by tracit99 View Post
    Have you tried disabling Automatic Updates in Windows Update via WUMT as I described in Post 15? For me this has eliminated the possibility of double updates. Realize that the Automatic Updates dropdown in WUMT changes how Windows Update checks for updates not how WUMT checks for updates. WUMT will never automatically check for updates. It is up to the user to decide when to run WUMT and what updates to install. WUMT is basically a manual user interface for the Windows update service.

    Also you do not have click both the "Download" then the "Install" icons to install updates. Once you have checked for updates and have selected the updates that you want simply click the "Install" icon. WUMT will then download and install the updates

    As for the 3 Japanese language file updates, I do not have a clue why they show in WUMT. I just ignore them.
    Yes, 'auto updates' in WUMT set to disabled and 'update service' left in default. Still, say you start up Win10 and open WUMT to check for updates, WU has already automatically checked and downloaded the updates, wanted or not. You have no choice with Win10 Home version as to whether to install or not, they are automatically installed via WU. Now if you don't check WU but check through WUMT, you will get the same updates and manually install them, thinking that you've only installed them once, when, in fact, you've installed them TWICE - once automatically via WU and manually via WUMT!

    At least in the Pro version which i run on my desktop, i've finagled the update system to the point where WU will check for updates, show them but i have to click both 'download' & 'install' before anything happens. Happening this way, it gives me the option of using WUMT exclusively to download/install updates singularly, not duplicated.

    See my conundrum? Perhaps you don't run the Home version so it's a moot point for you but for those who do, WUMT is useless since it can't prevent WU from auto installing.

    Furthermore, until today, for 2 days straight, i was offered the same update again as the one i'd already installed. It was only today that i did not show up.

    So...i like the tool IF it does what it is advertised to be able to do. If not, what's the use - and i use 'Shut Up 10', 'Windows Update Show & Hide' as well as WUMT to control what is installed with very degrees of success.

    You have the Japanese dictionary downloads too?? I don't know how they possible got installed!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows 10 Fall Update Fails via Windows Update & Media Creation tool
When the Windows 10 Fall update (threshold 2) was released several days ago I tried updating via Windows update; it failed to install the update several times. Yesterday it started saying that my computer was up to date and I know threshold 2 has...
Windows Updates and Activation
Windows Update Issues - Auto Driver Update & Update Freezes
First issue is that I need to use a specific older driver for my AMD graphics card and windows 10 continues to update the driver automatically and causes my system to crash. I've gone through {Control Panel-Devices & printers}, selected my machine,...
Drivers and Hardware
Solved MiniTool Power Data Recovery to the rescue!!!
Just sharing this. I made another boo-boo today and deleted 500GB worth of media files (just movies and music). Don't ask me how because that's something nobody wants to do. :) I don't keep a backup of these files. For me these are disposable...
Software and Apps
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:58.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums