Windows 10: Windows 10 Driver for HP LaserJet 4 Solved

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 935
    Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10, Linux, Android, FreeBSD Unix
       04 Dec 2015 #11

    I guess they don't have parallel port printers anymore at Microsoft. I was parallel port based up to XP and then all printers were USB.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    05 Dec 2015 #12

    It's a very ancient interface and it's not installed on new MBs any more but there are drivers for them in the windows still.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 935
    Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10, Linux, Android, FreeBSD Unix
       05 Dec 2015 #13

    I guess they just didn't test the legacy support...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    29 Jul 2016 #14

    for those who have a HP (Hewlett Packard) Laserjet 4 or Laserjet 5M I finally found how to connect up the computer to these great printers when OS is Windows 10. Follow step-by-step. This really works!! I love my old printer:

    Win 7 with Win 10, and as others have reported the drivers for my older printer did not load.
    Although it is a HP Laserjet 4 plus, that appars to be not so important, other than the fact that the original cable has been replaced with one with a USB connector for my more modern laptop.

    After struggling and Googling for far too much time, here is what worked very well.

    --press teh Windows icon in the lower left corner
    --select "settings"
    --select "devices"
    --select "add printers & scanners"
    --select "add a printer"
    -- it probably will scan and deliver a message like "printer ----- isn't listed"
    --click on that message
    --scroll down to "add a local printer"
    --accept "use existing port" then scroll down and select USB001(virtual port for USB)
    --it is possible that if you are using the original cable that the default LPT1 is the correct choice.
    --that will lead to the same list of printer drivers that you would have had with Win 7 (my understanding, or misunderstanding, is that when Win 10 loaded it retained the Win 7 printer drivers, but did not make them particularly accessible.
    --select your printer
    --print a test page
    --all done
    --you may need to make that your default printer
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    26 Jul 2017 #15

    I tried this after doing a clean install of Windows 10. The list of printers that comes up does not include the Laserjet 4 plus which is the printer I am trying to connect via usb. How do I get that to come up?

    ahowardaz said: View Post
    for those who have a HP (Hewlett Packard) Laserjet 4 or Laserjet 5M I finally found how to connect up the computer to these great printers when OS is Windows 10. Follow step-by-step. This really works!! I love my old printer:

    Win 7 with Win 10, and as others have reported the drivers for my older printer did not load.
    Although it is a HP Laserjet 4 plus, that appars to be not so important, other than the fact that the original cable has been replaced with one with a USB connector for my more modern laptop.

    After struggling and Googling for far too much time, here is what worked very well.

    --press teh Windows icon in the lower left corner
    --select "settings"
    --select "devices"
    --select "add printers & scanners"
    --select "add a printer"
    -- it probably will scan and deliver a message like "printer ----- isn't listed"
    --click on that message
    --scroll down to "add a local printer"
    --accept "use existing port" then scroll down and select USB001(virtual port for USB)
    --it is possible that if you are using the original cable that the default LPT1 is the correct choice.
    --that will lead to the same list of printer drivers that you would have had with Win 7 (my understanding, or misunderstanding, is that when Win 10 loaded it retained the Win 7 printer drivers, but did not make them particularly accessible.
    --select your printer
    --print a test page
    --all done
    --you may need to make that your default printer
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    26 Jul 2017 #16

    keithjr said: View Post
    I tried this after doing a clean install of Windows 10. The list of printers that comes up does not include the Laserjet 4 plus which is the printer I am trying to connect via usb. How do I get that to come up?
    There's a line missing in that guide.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	145677
    The printer I want is not listed

    Clicking on it will bring you to port selection
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	145679
    than
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	145679
    Than it should download all possible drivers from which you can choose. I already di that so can't show you further procedure but here it is on mine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	145681
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    26 Jul 2017 #17

    I did all that. After clicking Windows update (which took a while) I got a whole load of extra printers, but Laserjet 4 Plus was not one of them.


    CountMike said: View Post
    There's a line missing in that guide.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	145677
    The printer I want is not listed

    Clicking on it will bring you to port selection
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	145679
    than
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	145679
    Than it should download all possible drivers from which you can choose. I already di that so can't show you further procedure but here it is on mine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	145681
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    26 Jul 2017 #18

    That's odd, even my W7 found it that way. I happen to have that bottom one, it works although with reduced options. That's a tank of printers and would be pity not to use it. I also had one in the factory long time ago (1990's) and were printing labels with it, used to spend 2 or more cartridges a week and it survived them all for several years.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    26 Jul 2017 #19

    Is it maybe because I started with a clean install? As far as I know, there are no win10 drivers for this printer, so did you pick up yours from a previous install? In which case I must be able to get it some other way?

    CountMike said: View Post
    That's odd, even my W7 found it that way. I happen to have that bottom one, it works although with reduced options. That's a tank of printers and would be pity not to use it. I also had one in the factory long time ago (1990's) and were printing labels with it, used to spend 2 or more cartridges a week and it survived them all for several years.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    26 Jul 2017 #20

    I used to run W10 upgraded from W7 for long time but last couple of months I had 2 clean installs of insider builds and every time I did same thing to get the driver. At the beginning, insider builds used to kill printer drivers but this method brought them back although they stayed in the list. Last few builds don't touch printer drivers.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Related Threads
HP Laserjet P1006 will not print now in Drivers and Hardware
Upgraded to Windows 10 about three days ago, and now my HP Laserjet P1006 printer won't print.......keeps saying "error" .Went to HP's website and down loaded what I thought I needed to get it to print but still not printing. One thing anyone here...
Hello : I have my realtek driver tweaked in windows 7 , I have it set in the registry to have 2 outputs , instead of one - will the new win 10 driver be able to be adjusted ... Thanks
I have a very old but perfectly reliable HP LaserJet 5, which under Windows 7 worked perfectly using a USB-Parallel converter. Under Windows 10 (Enterprise RTM, clean install, not yet Threshold 2), it is recognised (and prints fine) if its USB...
I just upgraded from 7 to 10 and now I cannot scan on my HP LaserJet 3050. The 3050 is recognized as a printer and I can print fine, but it is not recognized as a scanner. I have tried Windows Fax and Scan to no avail. I have the original install...
Receive error of no audio driver is installed, yet conextant driver is working properly. Have installed RealTec driver, but does not show in Device Manager. Using Windows 10 Preview build.
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:28.
Find Us