Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    27 Nov 2015 #1
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10

    Converting MBR to GPT for EFI boot?


    I've just recently re-installed Windows on my laptop. I had the hard drive set to a GPT format disk since my system supports and previously used UEFI boot, but this install wouldn't allow it so I just went to MBR again..

    Is there a way to convert the currently MBR type disk to a GPT format (without losing the current Windows installation) so I can resume using the UEFI format boot? I'd like to later dual boot Linux and I'd pref having a UEFI load over the MBR when that time comes.



    Thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    28 Nov 2015 #2
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 141
    windows 10

    You can Convert MBR to GPT using Diskpart
    This method you have to backup all your data and delete all partitions and volumes. Then use the DISKPART command
    Open command prompt and type in DISKPART and press Enter
    Then type in list disk (Note down the number of disk you want to convert to GPT)
    Then type in select disk number of disk
    Finally type in convert gpt.
    EaseUS partition master can do it wihout data loss too, you can try it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    28 Nov 2015 #3
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 2,824
    64bit Win 10 Pro ver 1709 Build 16299.19

    You can do this and keep all your data. I recently did this on my Windows 10 installation and I followed the procedure described in the youtube clip below. It all went fairly smoothly apart from step 4 where I had to do a deep search in testdisk to identify the partitions that needed to be written.

    I would recommend that you study the video a few times to become familiar with each step and also have a hard copy of the steps printed out or at least a second computer nearby that you can refer to if you need to check on what to do next.

    https://youtu.be/Qk6_K9hVu_k

    I notice that the author has also written a simpler procedure that you can follow here:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1eXD30Fox4

    Cheers,
    Phil
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    28 Nov 2015 #4
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by philc43 View Post
    You can do this and keep all your data. I recently did this on my Windows 10 installation and I followed the procedure described in the youtube clip below. It all went fairly smoothly apart from step 4 where I had to do a deep search in testdisk to identify the partitions that needed to be written.

    I would recommend that you study the video a few times to become familiar with each step and also have a hard copy of the steps printed out or at least a second computer nearby that you can refer to if you need to check on what to do next.

    https://youtu.be/Qk6_K9hVu_k

    I notice that the author has also written a simpler procedure that you can follow here:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1eXD30Fox4

    Cheers,
    Phil
    Thanks a lot Phil, this is exactly what I needed!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    28 Nov 2015 #5
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    San Jose, California
    Posts : 2,058
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64

    How to Convert from MBR to GPT:

    1. Download and install Macrium Reflect Free and create a backup image of your current MBR Windows 10 to an external HD. (You should anyway before modifying any Windows partitions in case something goes wrong)
    2. Create a bootable Macrium Rescue disk on a USB/DVD (from Macrium application, click on the first icon on the top left)
    3. Next, wipe out the disk and install a fresh copy of Windows 10 using GPT partition scheme. The installation should create all the needed partitions and C drive. No need to run updates because you're going to overwrite the C drive with the C drive from the backup.
    4. Next you'd want to ovewrite the C partition from fresh install with the C partition from the backup image.
      Boot up from the Rescue Image and follow the steps in the video as shown below and you're done.

    Last edited by topgundcp; 02 Jan 2017 at 21:56.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    28 Nov 2015 #6
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 2,824
    64bit Win 10 Pro ver 1709 Build 16299.19

    Topgundcp, I agree your process using Macrium Reflect will be easier and more straightforward but the OP had difficulty doing a fresh install and achieving a GPT partition scheme. At your Step 3 he could run into the same problem again and be no better off.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    28 Nov 2015 #7
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    San Jose, California
    Posts : 2,058
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by philc43 View Post
    Topgundcp, I agree your process using Macrium Reflect will be easier and more straightforward but the OP had difficulty doing a fresh install and achieving a GPT partition scheme. At your Step 3 he could run into the same problem again and be no better off.
    If the OP cannot install Windows using GPT partition scheme then there's something wrong with his settings in the BIOS and/or the selection of which option to boot from. I also thought of his idea is he wants to convert it into GPT without losing any installed applications/data.

    Anyway, he needs to fix the problem that he cannot install using GPT first.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    28 Nov 2015 #8
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Posts : 3,143
    Windows 10 Pro

    There's more to getting an EFI boot than just converting it to GPT. You also need to repartition to add the EFI boot partition, and another partition which I can't remember the name of that holds system files.

    Try this video Convert Windows 7/8/10 Installation from Legacy to UEFI Without Data Loss (Simpler Method) - YouTube
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    28 Nov 2015 #9
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    San Jose, California
    Posts : 2,058
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64

    @Mystere
    The link you posted was already posted in #4. What I suggested above is simply overwrite the C partition with Macrium and it automatically convert this partition to GPT and Windows will boot up with no problem. Been there, done that.

    In addition, the method I used will properly align all partitions as if you do a fresh install without using diskpart to create/convert/format all the needed partitions. Windows is smart enough to re-assign the GUID to point at the C-Drive.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    28 Nov 2015 #10
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Posts : 3,143
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    @Mystere
    The link you posted was already posted in #4. What I suggested above is simply overwrite the C partition with Macrium and it automatically convert this partition to GPT and Windows will boot up with no problem. Been there, done that.

    In addition, the method I used will properly align all partitions as if you do a fresh install without using diskpart to create/convert/format all the needed partitions. Windows is smart enough to re-assign the GUID to point at the C-Drive.
    Sorry, I missed the first link. But no, converting it to GPT will not make it automatically an EFI boot. There is more to it, yes it may boot up, but won't be EFI.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Converting the install.wim in install.esd file
Hi Using only the Microsoft utilities, how do I convert the install.wim to install.esd file? Thanks Bye
Installation and Upgrade
Converting RAW external HDD to NTFS?
My toshiba 1tb external hard drive currently says it is a raw file system and i cant seem to format it no matter what i do. I dont care for what is inside (only one word file) but i just want to be able to use it again. Is there anyway i can format...
Drivers and Hardware
Solved Converting System to UEFI to support 4TB disk
Just converted my systems to Windows 10. Working well, so far. I would like to install 4TB disks on a couple of the systems and understand that I need to use UEFI. Looks like my ASUS P8Z68-U GEN 3 MB supports UEFI, but I don't understand how to...
General Support
Converting license keys for RTM installs?
Does anyone know how Microsoft handles the whole issue of license keys yet? Does it actually take your old 7/8 key and replaces it with a Windows 10 key? I already installed RTM on every machine in the house to avoid the release day rush, but...
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums