Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    23 Nov 2015 #1
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 19
    Windows 10

    Problem making partitions.


    Need to make a ext4 logical partition but it is allowing only primary:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	4 
Size:	438.2 KB 
ID:	50051

    Please help
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    23 Nov 2015 #2
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 3,808
    10 Pro

    With mbr partitioning you are allowed 4 primary or 3 primary and one extended partition. The logical partitions are created inside the extended partition. You can't split the extended partition with a primary as you are trying to do (with the C volume). See How Basic Disks and Volumes Work: Storage Services

    You could move the C volume to the left next to the system reserved - then it would work.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    24 Nov 2015 #3
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 19
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by lx07 View Post
    With mbr partitioning you are allowed 4 primary or 3 primary and one extended partition. The logical partitions are created inside the extended partition. You can't split the extended partition with a primary as you are trying to do (with the C volume). See How Basic Disks and Volumes Work: Storage Services

    You could move the C volume to the left next to the system reserved - then it would work.
    Thank you very much for your time. It helped a lot.

    But I have only two primary partitions and 2 logical.
    And how do I move the partition.

    Thank you again.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    24 Nov 2015 #4
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 3,808
    10 Pro

    You do but all your logical partitions must be next to each other not with a primary in the middle

    You can move partitions using the same tool - it is explained here How to Move/Resize Partition | MiniTool Partition Wizard Tutorial
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    24 Nov 2015 #5
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,551
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by lx07 View Post
    You could move the C volume to the left next to the system reserved - then it would work.
    He can't move the C volume to the left next to the system reserved because there is no free space there to move it into, he would have to move it to the right to the end of the hard drive.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    24 Nov 2015 #6
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 19
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by lx07 View Post
    You do but all your logical partitions must be next to each other not with a primary in the middle

    You can move partitions using the same tool - it is explained here How to Move/Resize Partition | MiniTool Partition Wizard Tutorial
    I tried moving. All i can do is this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture1.PNG 
Views:	2 
Size:	250.0 KB 
ID:	50321
    Cannot move any further

    Thank you
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    24 Nov 2015 #7
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,551
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by alekhka View Post
    I tried moving. All i can do is this:
    Cannot move any further

    Thank you
    Correct. After the move is complete you should then be able to create a new logical partition within the extended partition.

    If you need a larger new partition than what is in the unallocated space, you can also now shrink the C: drive partition taking space from the front to add to the partition in front of it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    24 Nov 2015 #8
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 19
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Correct. After the move is complete you should then be able to create a new logical partition within the extended partition.
    This is sufficient right?? Need not move to the end no?

    Thank you
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    24 Nov 2015 #9
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,551
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by alekhka View Post
    This is sufficient right?? Need not move to the end no?

    Thank you
    You did move it to the end.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    24 Nov 2015 #10
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 19
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    You did move it to the end.
    I mean to the System Reserved end. like lx07 said.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
too many partitions on disk
My Windows 10 is an upgrade to my SSD Drive 0. It now has 7 partitions none of which I created. (picture at http://imgur.com/a/edymi) Partition 1 -:/ 300 MB healthy (recovery partition) Partition 2 -:/ 260 MB healthy (EFI system partition)...
Drivers and Hardware
Extra partitions
In ADMIN TOOLS|COMPUTER MGMT|DISK MGMT the following are listed... C: 952 GB "healthy recovery partition" 450 MB (the box is shaded) "healthy recovery partition" 449 MB D: 909 GB How can I get rid of the recovery partitions (or at...
Installation and Upgrade
deleting partitions,..
i deleted all the partitions on my hdd,..and created new partitions,...now i cant get the os to install,...
Drivers and Hardware
Solved Numerous Partitions
Hi - I am new to this forum so I hope I am putting this question in the right section. I have upgraded to Windows 10 pro from Windows 8.1 pro. Going into Disk Management I have found numerous partitions. I have no idea what they are and if they...
Drivers and Hardware
3 Recovery Partitions
Hi guys, I'm not sure if this is the right section to be posting this, please excuse me if it's not. Anyway, today I had to repartition a drive. So, I went into disk management and here is what I found: 31706 My main system drive has 3...
Drivers and Hardware
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:18.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums