Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1.    23 Nov 2014 #11

    ribo said: View Post
    Finally I got a solution

    The drive one with OS and the second one with data found in the bios of an Intel 1155 chipset PC. On my old Dell Optiplex 780 (chipset 775) I used for evaluating build 9860 after updating (fail) to 9879 they do not appeared at all.

    Both were in "Frozen state" allthough there were HDD's and not ssd.

    Following this guide
    How to: Secure Erase your Solid State Drive (SSD) with Parted Magic

    I examined them in the old PC and bios recognised them. Everything OK.

    What happened during update in place from 9860 to 9879 to cause such problem?
    Parted Magic caused problems in Win7. I wonder if it could have caused you problems in TP.

    I would run the maker's drive diagnostics, under their supervision if still within a year of purchase so you are already in the pipeline for RMA.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 7
    Windows 8.1
       24 Nov 2014 #12

    Same problem here
    dual booted my old HP DV2000 laptop with Windows 7 to test Windows 10 on older hardware.
    First Windows 10 build fine. So was the 2nd. Tried to upgrade to 9879 which went fine until I ran down the laptop and rebooted - nothing , no disc in the bios. Took out the Hitachi disc and connected to my other PC but it would not even spin up so after 6 years I thought it was bricked so into the bin it went in pieces after removing the platter inside.
    This was last week before I read of these other problems so put in a new Western Digital disc and restored the laptop from backups. Now have build 9860 running fine. Do I risk the upgrade to 9879 again with my new disc?
    Sounds like there may have been nothing actually wrong with the old Hitachi disk!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 480
    Windows 10
       24 Nov 2014 #13

    wards242 said: View Post
    Same problem here
    dual booted my old HP DV2000 laptop with Windows 7 to test Windows 10 on older hardware.
    First Windows 10 build fine. So was the 2nd. Tried to upgrade to 9879 which went fine until I ran down the laptop and rebooted - nothing , no disc in the bios. Took out the Hitachi disc and connected to my other PC but it would not even spin up so after 6 years I thought it was bricked so into the bin it went in pieces after removing the platter inside.
    This was last week before I read of these other problems so put in a new Western Digital disc and restored the laptop from backups. Now have build 9860 running fine. Do I risk the upgrade to 9879 again with my new disc?
    Sounds like there may have been nothing actually wrong with the old Hitachi disk!
    I think you were a bit hasty throwing out the Hitachi, HDDs have a habit of coming back from the dead, I've had them come back after a couple of years.
    If I were you I wouldn't chance 9879 again, I had similar problems to you, couldn't read my new drive in the BIOS and had all kinds of problems with 9879.
    In future if you have a drive that wont read in the BIOS stick it in a USB caddy on another computer, or even the same one if you have another boot HDD, if it doesn't read at first, turn the power to the caddy on and off a few times, also plug and unplug the USB cord and try different ports.

    I've bought a few drives back from the dead that way, sometimes even just try again in a few days, it's amazing how these bricks can come back.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4.    24 Nov 2014 #14

    The exact condition of the drive (if it can spin) is determined with certainty by booting the maker's HD Diagnostic extended CD scan, followed by Disk Check - Windows 7 Help Forums run from the run from the booted installer's Command Line.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 480
    Windows 10
       25 Nov 2014 #15

    gregrocker said: View Post
    The exact condition of the drive (if it can spin) is determined with certainty by booting the maker's HD Diagnostic extended CD scan, followed by Disk Check - Windows 7 Help Forums run from the run from the booted installer's Command Line.
    That's normally correct but I've got a Seagate HDD right now which can be seen in the BIOS, yet when I boot up on Seatools it won't finish booting because it says I haven't got a Seagate HDD, go figure.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 7
    Windows 8.1
       25 Nov 2014 #16

    Thankyou BillyBob and gregrocker for you comments.
    I tried all that with the Hitachi on USB and separate power on my other PC to no avail. I will not try 9879 and wait for the next release and install when it is considerate to be stable.
    As a Win 8.1 user, Windows 10 looks great - just needs the bugs sorting.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Nov 2014
    Posts : 32
    Win 10 1607 (14393.693)
       25 Nov 2014 #17

    I had the same issue, however, I lost 2 drives on two different machines.
    I have 2 machines that I use for "play with/experiment", a Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 w i7-2600 cpu & 16 GB memory, and a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R with i7-930 cpu & 12 GB of memory. Both machines have Kingwin 3.5 Internal Tray-less Hot Swap Racks.
    Both machines had (for C:\ drive) brand new Seagate ST1000DM003 1 TB hard drives.
    Everything was fine for some days, however, after updating to Build 9879, I lost both C: Drives.
    Neither would boot after shutting down overnight and nothing I could do helped:
    Boot the machine up with Win 8.1 Pro or Win 7 Pro and the drive(s) would not be recognized until after an excessive amount of time.
    I tested both drives on my main computer (Win 7 Pro) that I don't experiment with and I finally got SeaTools for DOS V2.23 to recognize one of the drives, however, ALL tests would fail.
    One drive was only 2 Weeks old and I took it back to the store and exchanged it.
    The other was 2 Months old, so I got a RMA from Seagate to replace the drive.
    Has anybody else seen this?
    Anybody have any ideas what is causing this and what the fix might be??
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Nov 2014
    Posts : 1
    Win 10
       26 Nov 2014 #18

    slwelch33 said: View Post
    I had the same issue, however, I lost 2 drives on two different machines.
    I have 2 machines that I use for "play with/experiment", a Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 w i7-2600 cpu & 16 GB memory, and a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R with i7-930 cpu & 12 GB of memory. Both machines have Kingwin 3.5 Internal Tray-less Hot Swap Racks.
    Both machines had (for C:\ drive) brand new Seagate ST1000DM003 1 TB hard drives.
    Everything was fine for some days, however, after updating to Build 9879, I lost both C: Drives.
    Neither would boot after shutting down overnight and nothing I could do helped:
    Boot the machine up with Win 8.1 Pro or Win 7 Pro and the drive(s) would not be recognized until after an excessive amount of time.
    I tested both drives on my main computer (Win 7 Pro) that I don't experiment with and I finally got SeaTools for DOS V2.23 to recognize one of the drives, however, ALL tests would fail.
    One drive was only 2 Weeks old and I took it back to the store and exchanged it.
    The other was 2 Months old, so I got a RMA from Seagate to replace the drive.
    Has anybody else seen this?
    Anybody have any ideas what is causing this and what the fix might be??

    Yes faced same issue and finally after much of R&D and wasting 2 days came up with solution : -

    1) DL hiren CD.
    2) Boot up mini XP.
    3) Disk manager > Format it (For me primary didn't work so i formatted it to extended NTFS).
    4) Get WINXP CD and install it.

    And all done.. After installation u can reinstall any OS u want ...

    Though i tried installing 9879 build again and faced same issue now will again format HDD once i reach home..
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 55
    Windows 8.1 & TP 9926
       26 Nov 2014 #19

    Guy I need help, My HDD (Main one) disappeared after that stupid auto update of new TP build at night. TP is on separate SSD and other HDD is my main HDD with windows 8.1 on partition 1 and my data on partition 2. How do i get back my HDD.

    It is a laptop i bought recently, i dont even know what brand HDD it was. Now I am pissed and don't know what to do, the HDD don't appear in Disk management.

    Please help
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Nov 2014
    Posts : 32
    Win 10 1607 (14393.693)
       26 Nov 2014 #20

    Thanks for the info o0k00l and I will download and inspect those files, however, since none of the Seagate tools (SeaTools for Windows or SeaTools for DOS) was able to handle the issue, I've already exchanged one at the store and the replacement from Seagate will arrive today.
    Note that Seatools for Windows (latest version) would not recognize either of the drives. Seatools for DOS (V2.23) did recognize one drive, however, all repair/reformat operations failed with seagate failure codes.
    If I have the same issue happen in the future, I'll give these utilities a try, however, if I do lose another drive(s), that will be it the last time for the Tech Preview until it becomes more stable and no more of these issues show up.
    Also note that when I experiment with new systems, I do so with a dedicated hard drive(s) and NEVER attempt to install as dual boot with my daily machine!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Build 10158 - loses Office 2016 Preview (no data lost though)
Hi there I needed to re-install Office 2016 Preview again after updating to build 10158. - Didn't lose any data (Outlook 2016 for example uses same data files as Office 2010 which remains installed). Not a serious issue - but could flummix a...
Software and Apps
Solved Virtual hard drive made with partition wizard lost after win10 install
As per title, i have this annoying issue. Having a 3TB hard drive in win7, after partitioning normally the first 2GB of it, i opted to use partition wizard to partition the remaining 1GB of the drive. It did so, i assume, by creating a permanent...
Virtualization
Solved Lost home network in build 10074
I have a home network - not homegroup - that was working fine until build 10074. I have checked the workgroup name and have re shared some files/folders. This Win 10 refuses to appear in the network even on the win 10 pc. Any ideas? Wireless...
Network and Sharing
Build 9879 trashing hard drives!
I'm starting this thread because of the large number of HDDs I have lost since updating to Build 9879. The drives I have lost are all Seagate ST1000DM003 1 TB drives, 2 were VERY new (less than 2 Weeks old) and one was only about 2 Months old. The...
Installation and Setup
Solved Updated to 9860 , now missing letters in text
Just changed to 9860and noticed missing letters in plain text, the app names, settings i.e. Mouse button lef rather than left. shows on IE some missing letters while others quite readable. Previous build did not have this problem.
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:31.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums