Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    03 Nov 2014 #11
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Toronto
    Posts : 4,609
    Win 10 Pro x64

    Boot order has nothing to do with a pc being old. I change my boot order all the time and you can too without any help from a technician. What you need to do is to keep a back up of your files. Even a brand new state-of-the-art pc won't boot or bsod for any reason. Get an external hard drive fir backup.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    03 Nov 2014 #12

    I back my own computer files up regularly but Mum doesn't so I need to get her doing that regularly.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    03 Nov 2014 #13
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Carencro, LA 70520
    Posts : 8,247
    Mint 18.2

    Quote Originally Posted by swarfega View Post
    We took the pc to a local repair place and they found for some really odd reason that the boot order of the drives had changed. So they corrected that and it works fine again.

    I do wonder if this is the first sign of the computer getting old and should start thinking about a replacement before too long.
    When was the last time you changed the cmos battery? They are only good for about 2 years more or less.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    03 Nov 2014 #14

    Quote Originally Posted by labeeman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swarfega View Post
    We took the pc to a local repair place and they found for some really odd reason that the boot order of the drives had changed. So they corrected that and it works fine again.

    I do wonder if this is the first sign of the computer getting old and should start thinking about a replacement before too long.
    When was the last time you changed the cmos battery? They are only good for about 2 years more or less.

    To my knowledge it has never been changed. Is it easy to get new batteries?
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    03 Nov 2014 #15
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Carencro, LA 70520
    Posts : 8,247
    Mint 18.2

    Quote Originally Posted by swarfega View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by labeeman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swarfega View Post
    We took the pc to a local repair place and they found for some really odd reason that the boot order of the drives had changed. So they corrected that and it works fine again.

    I do wonder if this is the first sign of the computer getting old and should start thinking about a replacement before too long.
    When was the last time you changed the cmos battery? They are only good for about 2 years more or less.

    To my knowledge it has never been changed. Is it easy to get new batteries?
    If this is a desktop then most of the battery's are a coin shape about the size of a quarter and can be bought at your local store that sells battery's you will need to see what type is on the mother board.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    03 Nov 2014 #16

    I'll look into that, thanks.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    04 Nov 2014 #17
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,159
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by swarfega View Post
    I'll look into that, thanks.
    Be aware of one thing. When you change CMOS battery BIOS will be changed to it's defaults and it will have to be set again. take notes of BIOS settings now or take pictures especially of boot order so you will not have to take it to service again.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    04 Nov 2014 #18

    Thanks for the heads up. Also I'll make a note of any info on the battery to make sure I get a compatible one.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    04 Nov 2014 #19
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,159
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by swarfega View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. Also I'll make a note of any info on the battery to make sure I get a compatible one.
    This is most comon one: CR2032 Battery (2 pack) - Panasonic, Lithium Coin Cell, 3V: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care
    CR2032
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    07 Nov 2014 #20
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 403
    Windows 10 X64

    Swar,

    i would install the drive in my own computer and use it for B-U or whatever you want, but i would not use it again and put an OS on it.

    Can well be that the faulted drive had some bad sectors on it as well.

    Have had that with my 2 Foremay Cheetah drives (not at the same time) and it was a sign for definite failure in the months to come.

    Had the same with my OCZ Agility, first there was a OS on it, after failure in anothere computer, but only for B-U purpose.

    Still worked for a few months, but hen it failed again.

    This does not mean that i am right.....

    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved First failure to upgrade on any of my computers.
I have been on the Win 10 fast track with four computers since the start. All upgrades have been successful until 10240 fails to upgrade on my Lenovo Yoga 2 laptop. It gets to about 19 percent and then reverts back to build 10166. I noticed a safe...
General Support
failure got any other suggestions?
Spent most of yesterday downloading the recommended 10076 and installation on my Dell latitude D 510. Ok not only don't the sound and video drivers load (Same problem as old system 9926 ) This install did not load the browser so I can't even get...
Drivers and Hardware
KB3022827 Failure
Tried this update twice, both failed. Security for IE. Anybody have success/failure? Build 9879
Windows Updates and Activation
Solved Boot Failure tp 9879
I just installed this upgrade. and found that at the end when it did a reboot that the screen ended with a flashing cursor in the upper left of the screen. I waited for some time and finally did a reboot and held the F12 key and then moved down to...
Installation and Upgrade
Solved DISK BOOT FAILURE. Can't figure this one out!
Had a spare HDD laying around so I thought I'd load 9879 on it. I wanted to be careful to not mess up my 8.1 installation on an SSD so I disconnected it before installing 9879. I wanted to choose OS in Bios at boot time. Install went smoothly and...
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:14.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums