Windows 10: hide empty drives

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    09 Dec 2016 #21

    Faslane said: View Post
    In Win 7 or 10 open the "folder options" (Win 7) or "file Explorer options" (Win 10) and go to the view tab and check under "Hidden folders and files" the option to "don't show hidden files, folders or drives" and it'll get rid of the ghost preview too...this will also hide folders and files too that you've applied this too but is the only way I know of to also hide the memory card reader drives (I have a 7-card reader) and seeing the icons even "hidden" only ghosted them to about 50% opacity. This option will hide them entirely....i this what you meant?

    see pic on when to check.....Attachment 112992


    without that ticked I see this and it drives me nuts....

    Attachment 112993

    After hidden the way I said to this is what I see....yay!!!


    Attachment 112994
    If you follow Scott10 solution you can disable the drives without hiding files and folders.
    But the downside of this is that if you need to use that card reader drive, then need to enable it again in device manager.


    I like to see my hidden files and folders, so your solution works but not ideal.

    With regards to microsoft option of
    -Hide empty drives
    This does absolutely nothing when enabled, other than just making a ghost/faded icons of those drives.
    So not sure why microsoft even put it in.

    You still need to enable extra option of
    -Hide files and folders
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. Faslane's Avatar
    Posts : 16
    Windows 10 64-bit Pro
       09 Dec 2016 #22

    madmax2 said: View Post
    If you follow Scott10 solution you can disable the drives without hiding files and folders.
    But the downside of this is that if you need to use that card reader drive, then need to enable it again in device manager.
    I like to see my hidden files and folders, so your solution works but not ideal.
    With regards to microsoft option of
    -Hide empty drives
    This does absolutely nothing when enabled, other than just making a ghost/faded icons of those drives.
    So not sure why microsoft even put it in.
    You still need to enable extra option of
    -Hide files and folders


    True but I don't need to see files and folders unless doing a manual backup or something and don't want to miss something or need to see a file and know it;s in a folder. mine still work fine when I insert a memory card they become active again...not sure what you meant by needing to re enable it in device manager.....(on NM) I see that's Scott's recommendation. yeah this whole thing is stupid. MS needs to separate the hidden files and folders from hiding drives not in use so they work when in use but then go invisible again like they do now via my way but without having to show everything. and the ghosting this is bonkers. why they think that is hidden is beyond me.....it's like 30% hidden maybe 40 but definitely see able.......horrible decision on MS....dumb.

    Cheers

    Fas
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    09 Dec 2016 #23

    Faslane said: View Post
    True but I don't need to see files and folders unless doing a manual backup or something and don't want to miss something or need to see a file and know it;s in a folder. mine still work fine when I insert a memory card they become active again...not sure what you meant by needing to re enable it in device manager.....(on NM) I see that's Scott's recommendation. yeah this whole thing is stupid. MS needs to separate the hidden files and folders from hiding drives not in use so they work when in use but then go invisible again like they do now via my way but without having to show everything. and the ghosting this is bonkers. why they think that is hidden is beyond me.....it's like 30% hidden maybe 40 but definitely see able.......horrible decision on MS....dumb.

    Cheers

    Fas
    With regards to Scott10 solution..
    I mean if you disable card reader drive, then that drive will not show up unless you enable it again in device manager.
    E.g. you inserted a SD card into your reader, but now you need to enable "Generic USB SD Reader" etc..

    With your solution, when you insert a SD card into the reader, I think it should show in explorer..
    But downside is you need to "hide files and explorer" as well.
    I am power user / windows tinkerer, so I need to show my hidden files and folders..because I like to often edit some system files or folders
    so I need to see hidden files and folders

    The ghosting is not true hidden, because it still takes/reserves drive letters
    This is crap, cos if we have many hdd, or portable hdd, those drive letters can't be used.

    Someone should report to microsoft feedback
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. Faslane's Avatar
    Posts : 16
    Windows 10 64-bit Pro
       09 Dec 2016 #24

    madmax2 said: View Post
    With regards to Scott10 solution..
    I mean if you disable card reader drive, then that drive will not show up unless you enable it again in device manager.
    E.g. you inserted a SD card into your reader, but now you need to enable "Generic USB SD Reader" etc..

    With your solution, when you insert a SD card into the reader, I think it should show in explorer..
    But downside is you need to "hide files and explorer" as well.
    I am power user / windows tinkerer, so I need to show my hidden files and folders..because I like to often edit some system files or folders
    so I need to see hidden files and folders

    The ghosting is not true hidden, because it still takes/reserves drive letters
    This is crap, cos if we have many hdd, or portable hdd, those drive letters can't be used.

    Someone should report to microsoft feedback
    Correct on all. This is how I understood everything yes.

    Fas. MS needs to fix this
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Related Threads
I've got a Dell Venue 11 Pro which I've upgraded from 8.1 to 10 I'm was trying to change my Regional settings to be UK which worked fine, but when I wanted to change the Speech from English (US) to English (UK) it won't let me. It only shows...
Hi folks , i ran Mbar as i do every once in a blue moon for peace of mind and a message popped up relating to my SSD, as you can see in the screenshot , is this something to worry about ? I have always used just one 240 GB SSD and it is also a...
Hi again, My c:/users/administrator/appdata/local is chock full of empty subfolders like: {000C498C-FC08-4468-9B95-07B748-F5BE61 How on Earth did they get there and can I safely remove them? Thanx. Edwin
Startup tab in Task Manager empty?? in Performance & Maintenance
Hello, I've been on 10 Home since the 29th (Lenovo Flex 2 laptop) and my Task Manager > Startup tab is empty. I have all the programs on my pc that were on it before the upgrade (from 8.1) and I have added a few since then but the startup page just...
I successfully upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10 last week. For the 1st time since the upgrade, I tried emptying my recycle bin. However, it *appears* to fail, in that the dialog box that pops up shows "Discovered 0 items (0 bytes)" indefinitely....
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:17.
Find Us