Booting from USB drive questions

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. OldMike65's Avatar
    Posts : 106,860
    Windows10 Pro (x64) 20H2 19042.928
    Thread Starter
       #11

    Ok tried turning my secure boot back on in my bios, once that is back on, legacy support feature is off, like I said earlier, with no legacy support, my usb boot stick, is not recognized. My HP computer will only recognize my dvd if their is a disk in the drive.

    So I have turned off secure boot feature, and then turned back on the legacy support feature in my bios. Now I have back again all my choices to boot from. If their is another way to boot from any of my usb ports, I haven't found it. So far only way is to have legacy support on, secure boot off.
      My Computers

  2. badrobot's Avatar
    Posts : 5,258
    Win 10 Pro x64
       #12

    OldMike65 said:
    Ok tried turning my secure boot back on in my bios, once that is back on, legacy support feature is off, like I said earlier, with no legacy support, my usb boot stick, is not recognized. My HP computer will only recognize my dvd if their is a disk in the drive.

    So I have turned off secure boot feature, and then turned back on the legacy support feature in my bios. Now I have back again all my choices to boot from. If their is another way to boot from any of my usb ports, I haven't found it. So far only way is to have legacy support on, secure boot off.
    That's alright then.
      My Computer

  3. Word Man's Avatar
    Posts : 1,562
    Windows 10 Pro
       #13

    OldMike65 said:
    Ok tried turning my secure boot back on in my bios, once that is back on, legacy support feature is off, like I said earlier, with no legacy support, my usb boot stick, is not recognized. My HP computer will only recognize my dvd if their is a disk in the drive.

    So I have turned off secure boot feature, and then turned back on the legacy support feature in my bios. Now I have back again all my choices to boot from. If their is another way to boot from any of my usb ports, I haven't found it. So far only way is to have legacy support on, secure boot off.
    OldMike, you might want to check that your USB flash drive has been formatted FAT32 when you created the Macrium WinPE Rescue on it. It seems UEFI boot of these expects or prefers FAT32. I have followed that (Newer Dell, and an older Acer, not HP) guideline and find I'm not having to switch in and out of Legacy versus UEFI/Secure to boot either laptop from it.
      My Computer

  4. OldMike65's Avatar
    Posts : 106,860
    Windows10 Pro (x64) 20H2 19042.928
    Thread Starter
       #14

    Word Man said:
    OldMike, you might want to check that your USB flash drive has been formatted FAT32 when you created the Macrium WinPE Rescue on it. It seems UEFI boot of these expects or prefers FAT32. I have followed that (Newer Dell, and an older Acer, not HP) guideline and find I'm not having to switch in and out of Legacy versus UEFI/Secure to boot either laptop from it.
    Well it was formatted NTFS not fat32 by Macrium Reflect. I didn't choose the format method, Macrium does. But, think I've tried that once before, using a fat32 memory stick, didn't work. But, I could try again I suppose. Right now, this computer reads all my USB ports if their is something in one of them, before, my computer never did. I might try but not right away, seeing how I've been trying to get this to work, for a long time. :)
      My Computers

  5. Word Man's Avatar
    Posts : 1,562
    Windows 10 Pro
       #15

    OldMike65 said:
    Well it was formatted NTFS not fat32 by Macrium Reflect. I didn't choose the format method, Macrium does. But, think I've tried that once before, using a fat32 memory stick, didn't work. But, I could try again I suppose. Right now, this computer reads all my USB ports if their is something in one of them, before, my computer never did. I might try but not right away, seeing how I've been trying to get this to work, for a long time. :)
    There are directions here:http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/dis...for+Windows+PE that tell you to format the USB differently depending on whether are booting Legacy/MBR (use NTFS) or UEFI/GPT (use FAT32).
      My Computer

  6. OldMike65's Avatar
    Posts : 106,860
    Windows10 Pro (x64) 20H2 19042.928
    Thread Starter
       #16

    Word Man said:
    There are directions here:http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/dis...for+Windows+PE that tell you to format the USB differently depending on whether are booting Legacy/MBR (use NTFS) or UEFI/GPT (use FAT32).
    Ok Word Man, you got me curious, I will play with the settings again......gotta mow my lawn for the last time this year 1st. :)
      My Computers

  7. Word Man's Avatar
    Posts : 1,562
    Windows 10 Pro
       #17

    LOL - OK, curious is always good - unless you're a cat with limited lives left. Be safe mowing.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 107
    Windows 10
       #18

    Word Man said:
    You might want to check that your USB flash drive has been formatted FAT32 when you created the Macrium WinPE Rescue on it.
    Macrium Reflect v6.1

    How to create UEFI Boot Mode (and Secure Boot) compatible rescue media on a USB flash drive.

    Format your USB flash drive. Note: You need to choose the FAT32 file system (see screenshot below).

    Booting from USB drive questions-macrium-reflect-rescue-media-1.png

    Booting from USB drive questions-macrium-reflect-rescue-media-2.png

    Booting from USB drive questions-macrium-reflect-rescue-media-3.png

    Booting from USB drive questions-macrium-reflect-rescue-media-4.png

    Booting from USB drive questions-macrium-reflect-rescue-media-5.png
    Last edited by genet; 01 Nov 2015 at 22:02.
      My Computer

  9. OldMike65's Avatar
    Posts : 106,860
    Windows10 Pro (x64) 20H2 19042.928
    Thread Starter
       #19

    genet said:
    Macrium Reflect v6

    How to create UEFI Boot Mode (and Secure Boot) compatible rescue media on a USB flash drive.

    - Format your USB flash drive. Note: You need to choose the FAT32 file system (see screenshot below).

    Attachment 41582

    Attachment 41583

    Attachment 41584
    Well I already changed the usb stick that Macrium made to fat32 using MiniTool, took about 10 sec's, now I'll change my bios setting AGAIN back to secure boot on and see if it sees the usb drive.
      My Computers

  10. Word Man's Avatar
    Posts : 1,562
    Windows 10 Pro
       #20

    OldMike65 said:
    Well I already changed the usb stick that Macrium made to fat32 using MiniTool, took about 10 sec's, now I'll change my bios setting AGAIN back to secure boot on and see if it sees the usb drive.
    If not, I would stick with the FAT32 but create the Macrium Rescue with that same drive all over again since it may have done something different when you created it with what I assume was NTFS format.

    When I posted the link to the Macrium Knowledge Base article, I assumed you would do the whole process all over again.
      My Computer


 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:08.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums