Windows 10: Raw formatted my external Solved

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1.    06 Oct 2015 #1

    Raw formatted my external


    Ok so I recently accidently made my external USB drive into a raw, I was wondering if I could some how get it back, I think it still has the files on it, I got it so windows finally recognizes it but all it wants to do is format it. I want to keep all the files still on it can someone please help. I am not the one that did it, I was installing things on my flash drives like utilities for later and for some reason the install program started installing onto my external even though my target drive was my flash drive.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 2,033
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64
       06 Oct 2015 #2

    Your HD became RAW (Corrupted Master Boot Record) for one of the reasons below:
    1. HD is going bad
    2. Power Surge
    3. You unplug the cable and did not use "Safely Remove" while the HD is performing disk I/O


    Download test disk and follow the link below
    UPDATED How To Fix: External Disk Drive Suddenly Became RAW
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    06 Oct 2015 #3

    topgundcp said: View Post
    Your HD became RAW (Corrupted Master Boot Record) for one of the reasons below:
    1. HD is going bad
    2. Power Surge
    3. You unplug the cable and did not use "Safely Remove" while the HD is performing disk I/O


    Download test disk and follow the link below
    UPDATED How To Fix: External Disk Drive Suddenly Became RAW
    nope, it became raw because the program I used was trying to use it as a boot drive so it attempted to reformat but I stopped it instantly. I would rather not have to fix it from a boot, I need a good way to do it from windows. I dont wanna be sitting in a black screen for 6hrs+ while some random program may or may not fix my hdd.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 14,991
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 14393, Windows 10 Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Update, Ubuntu
       06 Oct 2015 #4

    Get ahold of an Ubuntu live USB, don't install just "try Ubuntu" and in the live environment mount the RAW disk and see if you can see your files and transfer them somewhere else (drag & drop) then let the RAW disk format, or you can use GParted in the live environment and format there, than place your files back on the disk.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 21,950
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       06 Oct 2015 #5

    darkf0xx said: View Post
    nope, it became raw because the program I used was trying to use it as a boot drive so it attempted to reformat but I stopped it instantly. I would rather not have to fix it from a boot, I need a good way to do it from windows. I dont wanna be sitting in a black screen for 6hrs+ while some random program may or may not fix my hdd.
    Cliff S said: View Post
    Get ahold of an Ubuntu live USB, don't install just "try Ubuntu" and in the live environment mount the RAW disk and see if you can see your files and transfer them somewhere else (drag & drop) then let the RAW disk format, or you can use GParted in the live environment and format there, than place your files back on the disk.

    Cliff knows his stuff on this. Suggest you follow instructions....
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    06 Oct 2015 #6

    Im just using "Active@ Partition Recovery"
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 14,397
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       06 Oct 2015 #7

    topgundcp said: View Post
    Your HD became RAW (Corrupted Master Boot Record) for one of the reasons below:
    1. HD is going bad
    2. Power Surge
    3. You unplug the cable and did not use "Safely Remove" while the HD is performing disk I/O


    Download test disk and follow the link below
    UPDATED How To Fix: External Disk Drive Suddenly Became RAW
    Thanks, TopGun; however, we need to add one more to the mix!

    Mine "went RAW" with Windows 10 Insider Build 10547 when I was trying to create a bootable USB drive. Someone said to format it so I did and that's when things went haywire.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 14,397
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       06 Oct 2015 #8

    Cliff S said: View Post
    Get ahold of an Ubuntu live USB, don't install just "try Ubuntu" and in the live environment mount the RAW disk and see if you can see your files and transfer them somewhere else (drag & drop) then let the RAW disk format, or you can use GParted in the live environment and format there, than place your files back on the disk.
    Hi Cliff:

    Since I'm not an Ubuntu user (been thinking about it), I'm not understanding what you mean by "Ubuntu live USB".
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 14,991
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 14393, Windows 10 Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Update, Ubuntu
       06 Oct 2015 #9

    When you download Ubuntu and burn it to a USB or DVD, then boot to it, you get 2 options, "Try Ubuntu now" and "Install", you choose the Try Ubuntu and it runs in you RAM just like Macrium Reflect does. That is a Live Disk.

    Links with more info's:

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/deskt...re-you-install

    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...dows-computer/
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 14,397
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       06 Oct 2015 #10

    Cliff S said: View Post
    When you download Ubuntu and burn it to a USB or DVD, then boot to it, you get 2 options, "Try Ubuntu now" and "Install", you choose the Try Ubuntu and it runs in you RAM just like Macrium Reflect does. That is a Live Disk.

    Links with more info's:

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/deskt...re-you-install

    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...dows-computer/
    Thank you sir! Much appreciated!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Related Threads
How to initialize external HDD?? in Drivers and Hardware
I have a 500gb external HD USB and it has data on it that I need cause the drive doesnt not show up now. I went into my computer management and disk 1 says not initialize. When I try to initialize to GPT it says the drive is too small. Now before...
External HD in Installation and Upgrade
1. I have a external HD that is compatible with windows 7 or 8. When I upgrade to windows 10 will I still be able to use it? 2. Can I download windows 10 ISO to a external HD and then install windows 10 right off of that same external HD?
Solved Clean install on a OEM formatted GPT disk? in Installation and Upgrade
I'm thinking of a clean reinstall of Windows 10 because of some stability issues (Mail and Calendar apps not working, Store app can't update etc yada yada; also I would like to get rid of the OEM softwares that have persisted till now). I got my...
Connecting to external (TV) in Drivers and Hardware
Prior to W10 I could connect with no issues. No my surface pro 2 gets all weird when I connect: display icons and font gets tiny and starts to heat up. Weird :( Any help would be appreciated Thnx
Solved HFS+ from Mac to Windows - Formatted? in Drivers and Hardware
I was using an HFS+ 3TB Buffalo hard drive on my iMac and plugged it into my laptop running Windows 10 Tech Preview. It didn't show up in Explorer but I think I may have formatted it in Disk Utility. Somewhere along the way, a dialog popped up...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:14.
Find Us