Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
  1.    12 Oct 2015 #31
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,940
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    @CliffS

    I couldn't stand it, so I drug the jump drive out of the trash and figured out how to "try" Ubuntu.

    So, I followed your instructions, but other than my two Windows partitions, even Ubuntu didn't see the Lexar Jump Drive, so I have now proclaimed it well and truly dead, never to be bothered with again.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    12 Oct 2015 #32
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 18,070
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    @CliffS

    I couldn't stand it, so I drug the jump drive out of the trash and figured out how to "try" Ubuntu.

    So, I followed your instructions, but other than my two Windows partitions, even Ubuntu didn't see the Lexar Jump Drive, so I have now proclaimed it well and truly dead, never to be bothered with again.
    It needs a proper burial:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thA2OU39AO.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	42469Click image for larger version. 

Name:	th5N8REEM8.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	42470
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    12 Oct 2015 #33
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 62
    windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post

    I couldn't stand it, so I drug the jump drive out of the trash and figured out how to "try" Ubuntu.

    So, I followed your instructions, but other than my two Windows partitions, even Ubuntu didn't see the Lexar Jump Drive, so I have now proclaimed it well and truly dead, never to be bothered with again.
    how did it get into that state? did you just format it too many times?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    13 Oct 2015 #34
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,940
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Quote Originally Posted by darkf0xx View Post
    how did it get into that state? did you just format it too many times?
    No, I followed someone's instructions to format it, which was the first time I'd ever formatted the drive. So I don't know exactly what happened, but I've already replaced it with a couple more Flash Drives.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    13 Oct 2015 #35
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 62
    windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    No, I followed someone's instructions to format it, which was the first time I'd ever formatted the drive. So I don't know exactly what happened, but I've already replaced it with a couple more Flash Drives.
    is it just not showing up in the drive lists? because you can fix that with the program I used, it wasnt showing up either .
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    13 Oct 2015 #36
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    California
    Posts : 362
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    I had an 8gb flash drive that was messed up. Windows couldn't fix it. So I booted up Linux Mint and use the Gparted program that comes with it to delete all partitions on the 8gb flash drive. Then I went back into Windows 10 to re-partition and format the flash drive. It took a couple of attempts in Linux Mint and Windows 10 to finally restore the 8gb flash drive to working order, but now it's fixed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    13 Oct 2015 #37
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 62
    windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Antilope View Post
    I had an 8gb flash drive that was messed up. Windows couldn't fix it. So I booted up Linux Mint and use the Gparted program that comes with it to delete all partitions on the 8gb flash drive. Then I went back into Windows 10 to re-partition and format the flash drive. It took a couple of attempts in Linux Mint and Windows 10 to finally restore the 8gb flash drive to working order, but now it's fixed.
    mine didn't show up in gparted but it showed up in "Active@ Data Studios"
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    09 Nov 2017 #38
    Join Date : Oct 2017
    Posts : 15
    Windows 10 Pro

    I hope this is on topic but I just did a clean install of Win 10 Pro on my new PC & attempted to long format a new external storage drive several times, every time it finished w/o error as RAW, I finally did a quick format for the heck of it and it seemed to work, Is there a reason I cannot long format &/or should I worry about the health of the drive? CrystalDiskInfo reads the drive status as Good Health.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    09 Nov 2017 #39
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 29,739
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeen View Post
    I hope this is on topic but I just did a clean install of Win 10 Pro on my new PC & attempted to long format a new external storage drive several times, every time it finished w/o error as RAW, I finally did a quick format for the heck of it and it seemed to work, Is there a reason I cannot long format &/or should I worry about the health of the drive? CrystalDiskInfo reads the drive status as Good Health.
    A quick format, NTFS with defaults, and a Good Health status should be all you need. Test it manually by randomly copying files/folders, rebooting with it attached, delete some of the files, move them around. etc, etc. If it still shows up in My PC and you can do anything you want with it, you're good to go. Make a nice image backup to it of your clean install Win 10 Pro.

    Macrium Free is highly recommended here on Tenforums.

    Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    09 Nov 2017 #40
    Join Date : Oct 2017
    Posts : 15
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by f14tomcat View Post
    A quick format, NTFS with defaults, and a Good Health status should be all you need. Test it manually by randomly copying files/folders, rebooting with it attached, delete some of the files, move them around. etc, etc. If it still shows up in My PC and you can do anything you want with it, you're good to go. Make a nice image backup to it of your clean install Win 10 Pro.
    Macrium Free is highly recommended here on Tenforums.

    Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free
    Yeah, I have too much much data of this sort to afford redundancy, about 73+TB until hard dives get bigger & cheaper, so I take my chances.
    I've had drives go to RAW in the past with 100% loss but never at first formatting, I don't understand why 10 seems to do this.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
How to initialize external HDD??
I have a 500gb external HD USB and it has data on it that I need cause the drive doesnt not show up now. I went into my computer management and disk 1 says not initialize. When I try to initialize to GPT it says the drive is too small. Now before...
Drivers and Hardware
External HD
1. I have a external HD that is compatible with windows 7 or 8. When I upgrade to windows 10 will I still be able to use it? 2. Can I download windows 10 ISO to a external HD and then install windows 10 right off of that same external HD?
Installation and Upgrade
Solved Clean install on a OEM formatted GPT disk?
I'm thinking of a clean reinstall of Windows 10 because of some stability issues (Mail and Calendar apps not working, Store app can't update etc yada yada; also I would like to get rid of the OEM softwares that have persisted till now). I got my...
Installation and Upgrade
Connecting to external (TV)
Prior to W10 I could connect with no issues. No my surface pro 2 gets all weird when I connect: display icons and font gets tiny and starts to heat up. Weird :( Any help would be appreciated Thnx
Drivers and Hardware
Solved HFS+ from Mac to Windows - Formatted?
I was using an HFS+ 3TB Buffalo hard drive on my iMac and plugged it into my laptop running Windows 10 Tech Preview. It didn't show up in Explorer but I think I may have formatted it in Disk Utility. Somewhere along the way, a dialog popped up...
Drivers and Hardware
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums